Building sys-libs/glibc-2.11.2-r2 fails on 1 of 2 64-bit box
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tanktalus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Oct 29, 2010 4:08 pm    Post subject: Building sys-libs/glibc-2.11.2-r2 fails on 1 of 2 64-bit box Reply with quote

I have two 64-bit boxes, both set up with crossdev to cross-compile 32-bit, and distcc, to allow them not only to help each other, but to also help update an older 32-bit box (running email and dns servers).

Today, the new glibc comes out - one of my boxes has no problem compiling it. The other gets an error like this:

Code:
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.4/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.11.2-r2/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/math/libm_pic.a(k_standard.os)' is incompatible with i386 output

(This is repeated dozens of times)

I don't think this is (necessarily) a bug in the build since it worked fine on my other machine. But any ideas on where to look to get this working would be appreciated.

Code:
# gcc-config -l
 [1] i686-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.4 *

[2] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.3.4
 [3] x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-4.4.4 *

Thanks,
selig
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello! I have run into the same issue and I do not know what to do about it...
Code:

collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
distcc[12136] ERROR: compile (null) on localhost failed
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.11.2-r2/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/csu/crt1.o] Error 1
make[2]: *** Waiting for unfinished jobs....
/usr/lib/gcc/x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/4.4.4/../../../../x86_64-pc-linux-gnu/bin/ld: i386:x86-64 architecture of input file `/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.11.2-r2/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/csu/init.o' is incompatible with i386 output
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
distcc[12137] ERROR: compile (null) on localhost failed
make[2]: *** [/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.11.2-r2/work/build-x86-x86_64-pc-linux-gnu-nptl/csu/Scrt1.o] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.11.2-r2/work/glibc-2.11.2/csu'
make[1]: *** [csu/subdir_lib] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/var/tmp/portage/sys-libs/glibc-2.11.2-r2/work/glibc-2.11.2'
make: *** [all] Error 2
selig
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I managed to get it to compile... I had to disable distcc and use MAKEOPTS="-j2" (instead of -j4). Some packages just do not like distcc.
Tanktalus
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Nov 02, 2010 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

selig wrote:
Well, I managed to get it to compile... I had to disable distcc and use MAKEOPTS="-j2" (instead of -j4). Some packages just do not like distcc.

Well, given that I get it to compile with distcc just fine on my other x86-64 box, which also uses distcc, I'm trying to figure out what the issue is.

I've also noticed that when I compile the kernel on my 32-bit box, anything that goes to the failing 64-bit box for cross compilation actually does not get compiled as 32-bit, but instead comes back as a 64-bit binary, and has to be recompiled locally. But anything going to the box that successfully compiles glibc as 64-bit will cross-compile properly as well. I wonder if there is something wrong with the cross-compilation or distcc setup. Any experts on either of these topics - I'd appreciate any advice :-)
xathin
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I seem to be having the same issue with distcc and glibc. I also have ccache in use, but glibc builds just fine with only ccache. As far as I can see, it seems to be an issue with distcc.

Has anyone been able to find out what the problem with this is? I am using 2 nearly identical machines, both running gentoo on amd64. One is ~amd64, other is amd64, but both have the same glibc, distcc and gcc versions. So far, I have only tried going one way with this build. I am trying to perform a complete rebuild, but glibc keeps coming up with errors while using distcc.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: