Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

vonr wrote:
tranquilcool wrote:
yes buddy am talking about the modifications you made to the ebuild to get it working.
thanks!

Okay... just don't blame me if they don't work; I haven't really tested them :D .
These ebuilds should generate and install gconf schemas properly if the 'gnome' USE-flag is set.
Also, I renamed x11-libs/compiz-bcop to dev-util/bcop as bcop is the upstream name, and an executable which converts things on build-time seems to fit better into dev-util/. My compiz-fusion-plugins-extra ebuild is an exact copy of the 'main' one, save for its DESCRIPTION.
Finally, the Compiz ebuild installs a script and a .desktop file. I use these to be able to launch GNOME w/ Compiz as a separate session from within GDM. For this to work with Compiz-git you will have to edit /usr/bin/gnome-wm so that it starts compiz with the 'glib gconf' argument.

x11-wm/compiz-9999 ebuild
compiz-gnome-session
compiz-gnome.desktop
x11-plugins/compiz-fusion-plugins-main-9999 ebuild
dev-util/bcop-9999 ebuild

Just found this post, so that's why I'm replying now. bcop is not the official upstream name. The name of the git repo doesn't have to match the name in configure.ac, which is what was decided to be the name of the packages. So it is actually compiz-bcop. Secondly, Bcop is a library, hence it's in fusion/libraries.

compiz-gnome-session isn't very useful either. Simply edit /etc/env.d/99local and add the export stuff there, then run env-update. And why would you have a .desktop file to execute gnome-session. Only one session manager can be running at a time..

And as far as the gconf schemas go, it would probably have been better to contact me either on the xeffects forums, pm here, or via email to get this into xeffects itself.
sykopomp
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guru:

I found a solution to the problem.
I was getting the same thing as you, I tried emerging all the other packages BEFORE the plugins-extra package, and that worked. So, just emerge everything on the list manually before you emerge the plugins. Tell me if that works.
MrCRB
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sykopomp wrote:
I tried emerging all the other packages BEFORE the plugins-extra package, and that worked.

Hey, thanks for this hint. It helped at least me and I hope it helps Guru and the others, too.
madchaz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,
I'm trying to get compiz-fusion to work, but not geting much luck. I ran into the plugin extra problem and emerging the plugin main first fixed it, but now, I can't get it to start.

I followed the wiki and got pretty far, but I can't seam to get compiz-fusion to start

I am using the failsafe kdm login so I can see what error message I get when trying to startkde. Here is what I get.

Code:

xset:  bad font path element (#389), possible causes are:
        Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
        Directory missing fonts.dir
        Incorrect font server address or syntax
    startkde: Starting up...
    kbuildsycoca running...
    ksmserver: Unknown option '--replace'.
    ksmserver: Use --help to get a list of available command line options.
    startkde: Shutting down...
    klauncher: Exiting on signal 1

Anyone as an idea?
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do this:

Change KDEWM"..." to be KDEWM="compiz-fusion"

Create /usr/local/bin/compiz-fusion with:

#!/bin/bash
compiz --replace ccp --sm-disable

Then chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/compiz-fusion
forkboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got fusion-icon running, but there's no icon in my tray. (KDE) There's a space for it, and I can right click and interact with it, but should there be an actual icon?
nesl247
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try rebuilding fusion-icon. The icon should show up.. (Don't forget, you have to restart fusion-icon)
madchaz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 06, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nesl247 wrote:
Do this:

Change KDEWM"..." to be KDEWM="compiz-fusion"

Create /usr/local/bin/compiz-fusion with:

#!/bin/bash
compiz --replace ccp --sm-disable

Then chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/compiz-fusion

I'm not geting the error anymore, but still won't start properly. The only error I see is in Xorg.0.log

Code:
AUDIT: Fri Jul  6 19:15:32 2007: 7723 X: client 2 rejected from local host (uid 1000)

The X session actually frezes when I try ot start kde and it looks like it just hangs there. Unless I restard X, it never gets anywhere.

Edit: It does this just after loading perifirecal on the splash
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forkboy wrote:
I've got fusion-icon running, but there's no icon in my tray. (KDE) There's a space for it, and I can right click and interact with it, but should there be an actual icon?

That's a bug in the QT4 front-end. See my post:
http://forums.opencompositing.org/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=1232&hilit=

Nobody even cared to reply, though...
Stormkings
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

forkboy wrote:

There is a problem with the ebuild I guess. The icon gets installed in the wrong place or the fusion-icon-qt4.py script is wrong. A possible solution is to copy /usr/usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/fusion-icon.png into /usr/share/pixmaps. That worked for me.
dk

EDIT:
Or maybe we should replace line 80 in fusion-icon-qt4.py:
Code:
80c80
< SysTray = QtGui.QSystemTrayIcon(QtGui.QIcon('/usr/share/pixmaps/fusion-icon.png'))
---
> SysTray = QtGui.QSystemTrayIcon(QtGui.QIcon('/usr/share/icons/hicolor/22x22/apps/fusion-icon.png'))

Last edited by Stormkings on Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Telexen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...a lot of things need to be done apparently to get newer versions of CompizFusion to work as seamlessly as beryl 0.2.1 seemed to. I guess I'll have to give it another go after I get some sleep
forkboy
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rebuilt fusion-icon (was using qt3 and -qt4 before) now I get a white square where the icon should be, instead of empty space.
Dottout
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

forkboy wrote:
I rebuilt fusion-icon (was using qt3 and -qt4 before) now I get a white square where the icon should be, instead of empty space.

a quick trick is to copy the icons files emerged with fusion-icon ebuild in your icons theme dir
tmazzoni
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finally made it to get compiz-fusion to run on my amd64 + ATI 8.37.6 proprietary drivers + KDE 3.5 system (it took me two days).

The key to success was to create a compiz-fusion script like this:
Code:
#!/bin/bash
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib/libGL.so compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp &
emerald --replace &

which I run from a terminal.

I have two problems:
1) when I run startxgl and then compiz-fusion, all the system applets (like klipper, etc) that should appear as an icon are listed on the taskbar instead;
2) I must have fiddled with some KDE init files, since wether I run startx or startglx, I have to run a kwin --replace from the terminal otherwise the KDE window manager doesn't work. I have deleted 99kde-env and run env-update but it didn't help.
Dottout
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

next time read better ;) I've already explained the preload stuff some posts ago
tmazzoni
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, you gave the precious hint of adding the LD_PRELOAD string for compiz to work with ATI proprietary drivers. My problem is that when I start X (not XGL), KDE needs a kwin --replace anyway.
azuriel
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tmazzoni wrote:

2) I must have fiddled with some KDE init files, since wether I run startx or startglx, I have to run a kwin --replace from the terminal otherwise the KDE window manager doesn't work. I have deleted 99kde-env and run env-update but it didn't help.

I think you have to actually change KDEWM back to kwin, not just delete the 99kde-env file. So, try making the 99kde file again, and put KDEWM=kwin in it and then env-update && source /etc/profile

The folly of mistaking a torrent of verbiage for a spring of capital truths, and oneself for an oracle, is inborn in us. -Valery
Kollin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After 2 days struggle compiz-fusion is up and running, BUT it takes much more system resources than beryl and as result animations are not smooth and when i`m using portage my system is lagging heavily .(athlon6000+ x2, 4G ram, GF7950gt) 8O
I can`t install compiz-icon because pyqt4 gives me errors during compile.May be next version will be better :roll:

Last edited by Kollin on Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
tmazzoni
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

azuriel wrote:
So, try making the 99kde file again, and put KDEWM=kwin in it and then env-update && source /etc/profile

You were right! Thanks a lot! :)
thoand
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there a way to migrate a beryl config to compiz-fusion? I tried compiz-fusion some hours ago, but i was unable to config it the same way my beryl was configed. There are two things I would change, 1. the cube rotates faster in my beryl-config (on mouse movement), 2. in beryl-manager it was easy to configure what happens when the mouse moves to the edges (e.g. exposé) in the default compiz-config exposé is configured for the current desktop on the top-left corner, I would have an exposé of all desktops.

kind regards, thoand
thoand
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have found how to configure the scale plugin (exposé) and got the rotating cube faster. So there is only one thing left, if I zoom in (<super>+<Button 3>) I was able to scroll the whole screen just by moving the mouse, that does not work in compiz-fusion.
madchaz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't get compiz-fusion to load. Using the script below, I get an error

Code:
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/opengl/xorg-x11/lib/libGL.so compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp &
emerald --replace &
Code:
FATAL: GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap is missing

I have a felling something isn't compiled, but I can't figure out what.

BTW, I am using the nvidia driver for xorg
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madchaz wrote:

Code:
emerald --replace &
Code:

why are you using xorg-x11's libgl.so instead of nvidia's that *HAS* the proper GLX_EXT_* functions exposed? make sure you are at least on the 9xxx series of nvidia-drivers as well.

with nvidia-drivers I use a script that contains the following to start compiz:
Code:
user hostname ~ $ cat ~/Desktop/start_compiz
#!/bin/bash
export __GL_YIELD="NOTHING"; compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp &
emerald --replace &

__GL_YIELD="NOTHING" is there to make the driver's not wait during blocks and to go on rendering. It did improve performance on my system.
madchaz
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jonnevers wrote:
madchaz wrote:

Code:
emerald --replace &
Code:

why are you using xorg-x11's libgl.so instead of nvidia's that *HAS* the proper GLX_EXT_* functions exposed? make sure you are at least on the 9xxx series of nvidia-drivers as well.

with nvidia-drivers I use a script that contains the following to start compiz:
Code:
user hostname ~ $ cat ~/Desktop/start_compiz
#!/bin/bash
export __GL_YIELD="NOTHING"; compiz --replace --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp &
emerald --replace &

__GL_YIELD="NOTHING" is there to make the driver's not wait during blocks and to go on rendering. It did improve performance on my system.

I end up with the same issue I had before. It loads the kde splash screen and crashes before it is done. It doesn't leave any log I could find in /var/log/. Xorg.0.log doesn't have any error at the end of it.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

madchaz wrote:
I end up with the same issue I had before. It loads the kde splash screen and crashes before it is done. It doesn't leave any log I could find in /var/log/. Xorg.0.log doesn't have any error at the end of it.

have you tried starting KDE then once it is fully done loading the desktop, start compiz (from a terminal to get error messages) ? does this also crash xorg?

I start compiz manually myself after loading up gnome using it's default WM (metacity).
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 4 of 14

Jump to: