Having troubles booting from a partition by label
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mspiegle
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:42 pm    Post subject: Having troubles booting from a partition by label Reply with quote

Hi all,
I've got an external USB drive which is meant to be used on multiple machines. In the grub.conf, I have 2 kernels specified. One kernel is from genkernel, and the other is a non-modular custom kernel. They both use the same root partition.

When I boot the machine with the kernel from genkernel, I specify real_root=LABEL=ROOT64G and the machine boots fine.
When I try to use root=LABEL=ROOT64G on the custom kernel, it refuses to boot with "VFS: Cannot open root device "LABEL=ROOT64G" or unknown-block(2,0)".

If I specify root=/dev/sdc6 on the custom kernel, it boots fine. I then run "e2label /dev/sdc6" and it returns the expected "ROOT64G".

Is there a such thing as a kernel option which enables booting via label? Any ideas on what my problem could be?

Thanks!

/boot/grub/grub.conf:
title=Gentoo Linux 64-bit Generic (2.6.20-gentoo-r8)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /kernel-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.20-gentoo-r8 root=/dev/ram0 init=/linuxrc ramdisk=8192 real_root=LABEL=ROOT64G udev scandelay=10
initrd /initramfs-genkernel-x86_64-2.6.20-gentoo-r8

title=Gentoo Linux 64-bit Generic Production Kernel (2.6.20-gentoo-r8)
root (hd0,0)
kernel /bzImage-Universal ro root=LABEL=ROOT64G rootdelay=10
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's because genkernel already has some stuff loaded with its initramfs file I imagine.

Quick search
Quote:
real_root=LABEL=label real_root=UUID=uuid
Note: to use either of these arguments, genkernel must have been run with the argument "--disklabel". With the "--disklabel" argument, genkernel will install blkid from e2fsprogs in the initramfs image and blkid will be run to find the partition with the given LABEL or UUID.

From: http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Initramfs#An_init_script_to__mount_a_root_fs_by_name.2C_label_or_uuid
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: