What is your turion 64 temperature?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jorges
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 1:02 pm    Post subject: What is your turion 64 temperature? Reply with quote

Hi,
I have an asus A6Kt laptop, which has a turion 64 MT-34 (1800 MHz) processor, ati x1600 mobility graphics, etc. The fan is always on and I've been looking recently at the temperature from /proc/acpi/thermal_zone/THRM/temperature. I am concerned that my laptop is too hot. When compiling it gets to 86 ºC, and when idle it's around 69 ºC.
I have applied a patch to the kernel to be able to undervolt the cpu. Right now I have the VIDs set to 1125, 1075 and 900 (mv) for, respectively, 1800, 1600 and 800 (MHz). I have also the ati powersave mode set to the minimum clock frequencies allowed. Still, the laptop is pretty hot.
The laptop is 1 1/2 years old now, and from my memories when I just got it, cpu temperature was a lot lower then. I can't recall exact values, but I do remember the fan turning on and off, which doesn't happens now even in a room with air conditioning at 22 ºC. I wonder if there's dust or dirt reducing the efficiency of the cooler.
If you have a similar cpu or, better then, similar laptop, what are your temperature readings both idling and under heavy load?

Thanks in advance,

jorges
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an MSI M677 with a Turion64 X2 TL-56 running at 1.8GHz with a GeForce Go 7600.

CPU temp is around 50degC (According to the AMD utility) and the GF ~64degC at idle.

It jumps goes to about 75/80 for both when under load, but I've not checked the temps under a sustained max-load.
jorges
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:
I have an MSI M677 with a Turion64 X2 TL-56 running at 1.8GHz with a GeForce Go 7600.

CPU temp is around 50degC (According to the AMD utility) and the GF ~64degC at idle.

It jumps goes to about 75/80 for both when under load, but I've not checked the temps under a sustained max-load.

Thanks for the info. AMD utility? What do you use to monitor/control temperature, is it under linux? There must be something wrong with mine. The difference when idling is nearly 20 ºC!

jorges
Cyker
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the diff on mine's about 20deg too; If you live in a hot place, that'd account for the higher average temps too, so I reckon you're okay...

The AMD utility I was talking about is for Windows (I don't think they did a Linux one; Could be wrong...), but I get comparable readings in Linux with lm_sensors (via ksensors).

BTW, I was playing DoW a bit ago, and I swear the GF7 hit 94!! :shock:
DaggyStyle
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cyker wrote:
Well, the diff on mine's about 20deg too; If you live in a hot place, that'd account for the higher average temps too, so I reckon you're okay...

The AMD utility I was talking about is for Windows (I don't think they did a Linux one; Could be wrong...), but I get comparable readings in Linux with lm_sensors (via ksensors).

BTW, I was playing DoW a bit ago, and I swear the GF7 hit 94!! :shock:

living in an hot zone, using an hp with TL-60 (terrible positions of venting outputs) I've peaked 96 which prompted my lap to shutdown instantly. trigger is at 95 degs.
load is 100% all the time (constantly running boinc) need an constant air flow to keep it from shuting down
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: