trouble installing XEffects
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Telexen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: trouble installing XEffects Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm not sure what I'm doing installing XEffects, or what it will get me - other than I know I want to tryout kiba-dock and it's included with XEffects.

I've been following the installation guide in their Wiki, and I've gotten to where I need to do, "paludis --sync x-xeffects", but I just get the following error:

Code:

# paludis --sync xeffects

Unhandled exception:
  * In program paludis --sync xeffects:
  * When making environment from specification '':
  * When loading paludis environment:
  * When making ebuild repository from repo_file '/etc/paludis/repositories/xeffects.conf':
  * When finding configuration information for master_repository 'gentoo':
  * Could not find repository 'gentoo' (paludis::NoSuchRepositoryError)

What am I doing wrong? Is there an easier way to get XEffects installed? I've done all the layman/setting overlay things correctly, but I'm not understanding this error.

Thanks for any help.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: trouble installing XEffects Reply with quote

Telexen wrote:
Hi,

I'm not sure what I'm doing installing XEffects, or what it will get me - other than I know I want to tryout kiba-dock and it's included with XEffects.

I've been following the installation guide in their Wiki, and I've gotten to where I need to do, "paludis --sync x-xeffects", but I just get the following error:

Code:

Unhandled exception:
  * In program paludis --sync xeffects:
  * When making environment from specification '':
  * When loading paludis environment:
  * When making ebuild repository from repo_file '/etc/paludis/repositories/xeffects.conf':
  * When finding configuration information for master_repository 'gentoo':
  * Could not find repository 'gentoo' (paludis::NoSuchRepositoryError)

What am I doing wrong? Is there an easier way to get XEffects installed? I've done all the layman/setting overlay things correctly, but I'm not understanding this error.

Thanks for any help.

your main repository "gentoo" (= /usr/portage) is misconfigured or not configured :wink:

the conf-file should look something like:

Code:
location = ${ROOT}/usr/portage
sync = rsync://rsync.europe.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage
profiles = ${ROOT}/usr/portage/profiles/default-linux/x86/2006.1
# use this for hardened
##profiles = ${ROOT}/usr/portage/profiles/hardened/x86/2.6
distdir = /usr/portage/distfiles
format = ebuild
names_cache = ${location}/.cache/names
write_cache = /var/cache/paludis/metadata

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
zxy
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: trouble installing XEffects Reply with quote

Telexen wrote:
and I've gotten to where I need to do, "paludis --sync x-xeffects", but I just get the following error:

Code:

Unhandled exception:

Thanks for any help.

try doing what you intended to do:
Code:
paludis --sync x-xeffects
and not
Code:
paludis --sync xeffects
when doing it for the first time
Telexen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I edited my config file but still ended up with strange errors later trying to run paludis. Also, I tried to run it with both the xeffects and x-xeffects options, both with the same result.

The whole thing from that wiki just seems to be a silly way to go about installing it to me, so I cleaned out the mess and fixed my own portage then followed the guide in the Gentoo-Wiki

I've got layman installed and did 'layman -a xeffects' .. it installed everything to /usr/portage/local/layman/xeffects/... ... I do have PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/local/portage" in my /etc/make.conf...but oh well.

I then added this to my /etc/make.conf as per the overlay guide in the Gentoo Docs with layman:

Code:
source /usr/portage/local/layman/make.conf

I would assume that at this point I should be able to emerge whatever I want out of that overlay since the guide at Gentoo-Wiki ends ... so do I need to mess with Paludis or not?

I seem to be able to emerge it fine after I manally add x86 as a keyword in the ebuild files for kiba-dock, kiba-plugins, and akamaru since they're all missing keywords ... is this normal or did I miss a step?

BTW,
now that I have these so they seem to be able to emerge, should I be using beryl 0.2.1 with xeffects or should I emerge compcomm instead?

Thanks again for your help guys.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: