Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
QuickTip: rxvt-unicode daemon & client(s)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Phenax
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:08 pm    Post subject: QuickTip: rxvt-unicode daemon & client(s) Reply with quote

Man Page wrote:

This manpage describes the urxvtd daemon, which is the same vt102 terminal emulator as urxvt, but runs as a daemon that can open multiple terminal windows within the same process.

You can run it from your X startup scripts, for example, although it is not dependent on a working DISPLAY and, in fact, can open windows on multiple X displays on the same time.

Advantages of running a urxvt daemon include faster creation time for terminal windows and a lot of saved memory.

The disadvantage is a possible impact on stability - if the main program crashes, all processes in the terminal windows are terminated. For example, as there is no way to cleanly react to abnormal connection closes, "xkill" and server resets/restarts will kill the urxvtd instance including all windows it has opened.

Man Page wrote:

EXAMPLES
This is a useful invocation of urxvtd in a .xsession-style script:

urxvtd -q -f -o

This waits till the control socket is available, opens the current display and forks into the background. When you
log-out, the server is reset and urxvtd is killed.

I just added
Code:
urxvtd -q -f -o &
to my ~/.xinitrc and run urxvtc (the client terminal) as my terminal. Works wonderfully.
pussi
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another great tip in a row :)
thanks a lot
urxvt just keeps getting better and better
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: