Freebsd or Gentoo ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alex86
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Freebsd or Gentoo ? Reply with quote

Hello,

Currently I'm running Archlinux on my computer, but I'd like to install an other OS, Gentoo or Freebsd.

With Gentoo, I will have a good documentation, but with Freebsd too. Gentoo, have ports, but Freebsd too. Both are Unix or Unix-like, both might be ok for my use, and I don't know which one use.

But according to some people, Freebsd is better than linux, since the kernel of Freebsd is built as a whole, whereas linux is just a kernel. So here is my question : Why Gentoo users use Gentoo instead of Freebsd, since according to what I have read, Freebsd seems to be better ?

In any case, I'm aware of one thing : maybe my question is pointless. But I will appreciate any advice. My purpose is to learn some about security, networks and hacking. I have tried Backtrack 4, but I prefer to setup my own OS (Gentoo or Freebsd).
XQYZ
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gentoo/BSD aside, you are comparing apples to oranges. BSDs are mostly binary based, whereas Gentoo is a source based distribution. With Gentoo you'll get a lot more customization and optimization.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
BSDs are mostly binary based
Ehem, you know that portage has it's origin in BSD-ports? `make clean install` tells you something? There's also a make.conf on BSD. BSD has more binaries available, yes, but you can built anything from source with ports.

Edit, as for Linux vs BSD, I chose Linux/Gentoo mostly because there are/have been way more drivers for Linux which is espacially true for my notebooks. Nvidia-drivers for x86_64 are also quite new on FreeBSD, it took ages to get them, although 32bit was available for a long time.

So, I'd say, if you're in for something new, give *BSD a shot, can't do any harm imho and you can learn some things which differ from the linux-world.
Jaglover
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What avx said.
What you think FreeBSD make buildworld will do? FreeBSD install is binary, true. But the next step is to set up your make.conf and rebuild.

Quote:
But according to some people, Freebsd is better than linux, since the kernel of Freebsd is built as a whole, whereas linux is just a kernel. So here is my question : Why Gentoo users use Gentoo instead of Freebsd, since according to what I have read, Freebsd seems to be better ?

That's the beauty of FOSS world, you have the choice.
You want a box that is secure right out of box? BSD sounds good.
You want a web server that will outperform everything else? Gentoo.
You want widest choice of software? Linux.
You want the ...
And so on.

BTW, BSD is the UNIX itself, alright. Being that, new stuff is often broken. For instance, USB implementation in FreeBSD 6.x was so immature you could send it to reboot via USB without having even user rights. How that sounds security-wise?

As I said, Linux and BSD both have their strengths. It's up to you to make a wise choice depending on what you need.
avx
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2010 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just try Gentoo/FreeBSD :lol:
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: