Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
New filesystem: Btrfs!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next  
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kingoftherings
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

devsk wrote:
you just need /dev/console, /dev/null, /dev/zero, /dev/tty1. Just 'cp -a' (note -a, that's important) them from an existing system.

That did it. Thanks. 8)
herbinator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a strange issue with the spead of Btrfs (Kernel 2.6.32.7).

I used KVM and a qcow2-Image under ext4. Inside the Image a XP guest, normally booted in under 2 minutes. Now, on another, newer hard drive with Btrfs 0.19 it takes just over 10 minutes for the guest to be usable. Also copied the whole image once, no change.

Any ideas on how to remedy that situation or just switching back to ext4?
Dont Panic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2.6.33_rc process has been a busy time for Btrfs, and there are many improvements in the current rc release of the 2.6.33 kernel.

I'm not sure if any of these address your issue, but that should be the first thing you'd try.

I've had success simply backporting the 2.6.33 code to a 2.6.32 source tree, or you can try to build the latest 2.6.33 rc release.
herbinator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the 2.6.33-RC-8, but it did not really changed anything at all for good. Any tweaks perhaps someone could try? The Wiki of btrfs seems kinda quiet about that and I am experiencing a CPU load > 10 just from reading that file (on an Intel i5 core).
devsk
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

herbinator wrote:
I tried the 2.6.33-RC-8, but it did not really changed anything at all for good. Any tweaks perhaps someone could try? The Wiki of btrfs seems kinda quiet about that and I am experiencing a CPU load > 10 just from reading that file (on an Intel i5 core).
Have you tried full disk image instead of the COW sparse file image which grows with usage? The idea of COW sparse file is good but it leads to fragmentation and is discouraged for VM usage. I gave up on them long time ago. I typically give the real partition from my hard drive to my VM. That way I can boot the same XP native as well as under VM.
herbinator
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2010 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to try that, thanks for the suggestion, never taken that into account so far, perhaps it is going to help.
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my workstation doesn't actually hold any critical data on it's own, I've upgraded it to btrfs on ssd. It's fast. :D
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I turn compression on, what does it take to actually get files compressed? I'm guessing compression won't automagically happen on mount?
Will I need to move files to a different partition and back?
Dont Panic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letharion wrote:
If I turn compression on, what does it take to actually get files compressed? I'm guessing compression won't automagically happen on mount?
Will I need to move files to a different partition and back?

Compression is already incorporated into the Btrfs code.

To activate compression, simply mount with the '-o compress' or '-o compress-force' option.

You've tweaked my curiosity as to what will happen if you swap back and forth between mounting with and without compression. I will attempt to test that.
Dont Panic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Up until now, I've always been consistent with my compression options once a volume was created. I've either always mounted it with compression, or always left compression off.

Based on Letharion's question, I decided to test what would happen if I swapped back and forth between mounting with compression enabled and disabled.

Surprisingly, Btrfs seemed to handle switching back and forth between compression enabled/disabled just fine, but I'm still not sure if it's wise, or if I'll do it on a regular basis myself.

Btrfs would not go back and compress files previously written with compression disabled. But Btrfs would compress files when mounted with compression even if previously mounted without compression. In my tests (using an md5sum to spot check some files), Btrfs would seamlessly handle files previously written with compression, when mounted as an uncompressed drive.

It's interesting to note that the 'du' command, and 'ls' command will show files sizes on an uncompressed basis, whether or not compression is enabled. To see how much space is being used, you need to use the 'df' command to differentiate between space used when comparing compression enabled/disabled.
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adding compress to fstab will be the same as "-o compress", right?
I tried it anyway, and without being very scientific, I think I gained some space from tar-ing files together/apart.

On another note, it seems 33 is out, which makes me happy, running rc makes me nervous :P More than running an experimental fs, which probably doesn't make sense
Dont Panic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That should work. I might add many people are using 'compress-force' right now. It can actually be a little bit faster.

Here's my entry for my root partition:
Code:
/dev/sdb6    /          btrfs                   compress                1 1
BlueFusion
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd only use compress-force if you're going to be storing small files on there. Well, maybe up to a few MB. If you are storing large files such as movies, stick with the compress option. The large files are going to waste alot of CPU time compressing, and not gain much space anyway. That is, unless they are RAW video files. Then I'd use compress-force.
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have installed btrfs-progs, and enabled btrfs support in the kernel. When I boot, I get
Code:
fsck.btrfs not found

any one with a hint on what I missed?
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letharion wrote:
I have installed btrfs-progs, and enabled btrfs support in the kernel. When I boot, I get
Code:
fsck.btrfs not found

any one with a hint on what I missed?

I had that problem when I tried btrfs 6 weeks ago. I could never figure out how to fix it as it seemed that btrfs's fsck was horribly broken at the time. :/
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I have a stupid little problem.

I used btrfs for trial on a backup drive. (I know: "Ha, Ha" Nelson Muns)

Now I would need the backup (harddisk died) and I can't mount the backup partition!

Code:

-> mount -t btrfs /dev/sdc1 /mnt/backup
mount: /dev/sdc1: can't read superblock
-> btrfsck /dev/sdc1
found 959594168320 bytes used err is 0
total csum bytes: 935971272
total tree bytes: 1159585792
total fs tree bytes: 5505024
btree space waste bytes: 150276790
file data blocks allocated: 958434582528
 referenced 958434582528
Btrfs Btrfs v0.19
-> file -s /dev/sdc1
/dev/sdc1: BTRFS Filesystem (label "backup1", sectorsize 4096, nodesize 4096, leafsize 4096)

Does anyone have an idea what I can do?

Thanks,
fangorn
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fangorn: Making really wild guesses here. Are you missing btrfs support in kernel? (Should give a different error IIRC) Is it an older btrfs format on the drive? Superblock may have gotten corrupted, try the mailing list.

Shining Arcanine; Ok, but where is the program supposed to come from? Which package? I don't have the program anywhere. Because I can't think of anything else, I'm gonna try just copying it from a different system later.
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the same kernel to format and firstly mount the device, so I doubt support is missing out of the blue. Using 2.6.32. The backup is quite fresh. :roll:

I don't know if an update of the btrfs-progs has happened in between.

But you remind me of something. I did an emerge -uD world the night before yesterday and did not run revdep-rebuild. Will try that this evening and see what happens.

Edit: AFAIK chkfs.xxx are either links to the filesystem specific tools of wrapper scripts to implement the standard answers. But I don't have one at hand atm.
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fangorn:
I dont think the format has changed since <2.6.31, so that shouldn't be it, but revdep can solve all kinds of strange issues, so try that :)

I notice that
1) I don't have a btrfs.fsck on a working btrfs install either...
2) You have a btrfsck in your post above. Maybe fsck.btrfs is expected to be linked to that? But then why don't I have that one the working system?
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see how it is solved at my Gentoo box at home, but here with Debian fsck.xfs (don't have btrfs support at work :D ) is a script that if called by the init procedure, returns a defined value and if called on the command line echoes a message to use xfs_check and xfs_repair.

I can't say if btrfsck is capable of behaving correctly in the init procedure. So maybe it would be wise to NOT just link it to the fsck.btrfs :wink:
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fangorn wrote:
I can't say if btrfsck is capable of behaving correctly in the init procedure. So maybe it would be wise to NOT just link it to the fsck.btrfs :wink:

Pah! "correct" and "wise" is for wussies ;) Or at least for disk with nothing important on them.
Anyway, I gave it a go, and it didn't work, complaint disappeared but "filesystem can't be mounted read/write", so I still don't get anywhere.
Shining Arcanine
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Letharion wrote:
Fangorn: Making really wild guesses here. Are you missing btrfs support in kernel? (Should give a different error IIRC) Is it an older btrfs format on the drive? Superblock may have gotten corrupted, try the mailing list.

Shining Arcanine; Ok, but where is the program supposed to come from? Which package? I don't have the program anywhere. Because I can't think of anything else, I'm gonna try just copying it from a different system later.

Look for btrfsck.
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Look for btrfsck.

Yeah, I did that, (see posts above) and I tried symlinking it, which makes the complaint go away, but still doesn't actually help me to boot.
I tried understand just why the checkroot-script fails, but somewhere between the shell-scripting and awk, I just don't get it.
fangorn
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is hope for my backup.

According to this http://www.mail-archive.com/linux-btrfs@vger.kernel.org/msg04169.html btrfs does not behave well on external drives. To be precise, it cannot handle device name changes atm.

I was not aware of that. As I dynamically attach up to 5 drives as needed, this _might_ be a problem. :wink:
Letharion
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, can external drives be given persistent names to solve this?
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26  Next
Page 22 of 26

Jump to: