What filesystem should I use?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GivePeaceAChance
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:12 am    Post subject: What filesystem should I use? Reply with quote

So I've got two hard drives. The first hard drive will be for the OSs and perhaps a bit of storage. The second hard drive will be exclusively for storage. I will be reading and writing from this drive often, as it's where I intend to keep most of my documents, movies, music, schoolwork etc. I'm thinking of XFS, but apparently it is not a good filesystem for frequent read/write operations. What about ReiserFS or ext3?

Any suggestions? (If there is a thread about this then let me know. Sorry in advance if this is a duplicate.)
Tennessee_Rebel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, I haven't noticed any speed difference in that category, and I've done my fair share of playing with both. I find that ReiserFS is more crash-friendly however, on those odd occasions when it does happen.
"Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -- Luke 22:36.
Sachankara
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Re: What filesystem should I use? Reply with quote

GivePeaceAChance wrote:
I'm thinking of XFS, but apparently it is not a good filesystem for frequent read/write operations.
Says who? XFS is the file system for continueous reading and writing. It does not fragment like other file systems (fat, ntfs, ext3, reiserfs, etc), and if you do happend to have a some minor fragmentation, you can always use the defragmentation tool found in sys-fs/xfsdump.
Earthwings
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: What filesystem should I use? Reply with quote

GivePeaceAChance wrote:
So I've got two hard drives. The first hard drive will be for the OSs and perhaps a bit of storage. The second hard drive will be exclusively for storage. I will be reading and writing from this drive often, as it's where I intend to keep most of my documents, movies, music, schoolwork etc. I'm thinking of XFS, but apparently it is not a good filesystem for frequent read/write operations. What about ReiserFS or ext3?

Any suggestions? (If there is a thread about this then let me know. Sorry in advance if this is a duplicate.)

Right above you in the sticky Common Threads :P
Moved from Gentoo Chat to Dups.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Duplicate Threads All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: