Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[solved] Create New Folder, others missing in kde desktop...
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jawilson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: [solved] Create New Folder, others missing in kde desktop... Reply with quote

In kde 3.5.6, right-clicking on the desktop or in konqueror does not bring up the option to create a new folder (or anything else, for that matter) in the context menu. The only option is Create New -> Link to device, and nothing else. Any ideas to where these options may have disappeared, and how I can get them back?
Thanks

*edit- I should also note that these options are missing in konqueror under the Edit menu. Also, this happens for ALL users on the system, including root.

Last edited by jawilson on Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:48 am; edited 1 time in total
TemplarKnight
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you accidentaly do sthg recently that might have messed up config files or anything? U emerged the whole kde or just picked some of the split ebuilds?
jawilson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't think of anything that I might have done that would cause this. For all intents and purposes it is the whole kde; not actually kde-meta, but most of the apps that would pull in. I don't think I have installed anything new that would do this. I am currently re-emerging kdelibs to see if that does anything; I've already re-emerged kioslaves and kdesktop, which did nothing.
TemplarKnight
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try dispatch-conf to see if there are any pending config files that need updating and then revdev-rebuild to check for broken deps.

Also try logging in as a different user (or kdesu konqueror) to see if there is any difference
jawilson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey,
I have done both already (and just now again) and nothing. Keep the ideas coming, though!
TemplarKnight
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jawilson wrote:
Hey,
I have done both already (and just now again) and nothing. Keep the ideas coming, though!

Doesn't work even if run as a different user?? (I edited my previous post the moment you where writing)
jawilson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, not even then. (I added that to the original post). I have tried as myself, another user, and root, and none work.
TemplarKnight
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This seems to be a bug.. u did: emerge kde right?
Please post the output from emerge --info
jawilson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, I did emerge kdebase-startkde, and then built on top of that with whatever I needed. I'm pretty sure startkde provides kdesktop and konqueror and definitely kdelibs, which seem to be the likely culprits (and which I am currently emerging).
jawilson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, here is emerge --info:
Code:
Portage 2.1.2.7 (default-linux/x86/2006.1, gcc-4.1.1, glibc-2.5-r0, 2.6.18-suspend2-r1 i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.18-suspend2-r1 i686 Mobile Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4     CPU 3.06GHz
Gentoo Base System release 1.12.9
Timestamp of tree: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 16:30:01 +0000
distcc 2.18.3 i686-pc-linux-gnu (protocols 1 and 2) (default port 3632) [disabled]
ccache version 2.4 [enabled]
dev-java/java-config: 1.3.7, 2.0.31-r5
dev-lang/python:     2.4.3-r4
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r5
dev-util/ccache:     2.4-r6
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.61
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1-r3
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.3.15-r1
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.17-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=i686 -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/gconf /etc/java-config/vms/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo"
CXXFLAGS="-march=i686 -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="buildpkg ccache distlocks metadata-transfer sandbox sfperms strict usepkg"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://gentoo.chem.wisc.edu/gentoo"
LANG="en_US"
LC_ALL="en_US"
MAKEOPTS="-j4"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --filter=H_**/files/digest-*"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
PORTDIR_OVERLAY="/usr/portage/local/layman/xeffects /usr/portage/local/layman/enlightenment"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X acpi alsa avahi berkdb bitmap-fonts cdr cli cracklib crypt ctype cups dbus dmi dri dvd dvdr fam fastbuild font-server force-cgi-redirect fortran ftp gd gdbm gnome gpm gtk hal iconv imagemagick ipv6 isdnlog kde libg++ memlimit midi mmx mudflap ncurses nls nptl nptlonly ntfs opengl openmp pam pcre pda perl posix ppds pppd python qt3 qt4 readline reflection samba session simplexml slang soap sockets spell spl sse sse2 ssl swat tcpd tokenizer truetype-fonts type1-fonts unicode webdav wifi win32codecs wxgtk1 wxwindows x11vnc x86 xcomposite xemacs xfs xinerama xorg xsl zeroconf zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="keyboard mouse evdev synaptics" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="nvidia"
Unset:  CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LDFLAGS, LINGUAS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS
gsoe
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange problem. Two thoughts:
Did you try making a new user, so as to get .kde* totally unaffected by the former setup?
In my experience kdelibs can be picky compiling. Have you tried disabling ccache during compile?
jawilson
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2007 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems that emerging kdelibs, kdesktop, and konqueror fixed the problem. After hours of searching, it seems that this behavior is hardcoded into the kdelibs code, so I must have done something to screw it up. So, if anyone else has this problem, try re-emerging these.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: