Serial to USB adapter
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sKewlBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:24 pm    Post subject: Serial to USB adapter Reply with quote

I'd like to know if anyone has tried out one of this.
I have a laptop with no serial ports, so I bought a ps2-to-usb adapter so I could use an old mouse and it didnt work. Not a single motion. Not in windows, not in gentoo.
So I wanted to know if you had any good experience with a serial to usb adapter, and what about the software ? Could you use the original (pointing to serial port) or do you have to use different software (for usb) ?

Thanks

PS: I'm looking for windows and gentoo "stories"... anything...
kraylus
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

far as i know, in linux or any other OS, you can't do that. since it's a serial adapter going into a usb port, you would have to tell linux to look at the usb port for your mouse, but to treat it as a serial mouse. personally, i don't think it can be done, but stranger things have happened. my recommendation would be to throw down 5 bucks on a cheapy usb mouse from wal-mart. i live in canada where the dollar ain't worth much, and i've seen 10 dollar mice in wal-mart (hewlett-packard optical mice). no shit.

you'll be much happier.

ryan
zenlunatic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I purchased a Keyspan USB Serial Adapter (model USA-19QW) from Compusa. I have used it only in Mac OS X so far, but I specifically bought this model because they have a kernel modual for Linux (Free Software I believe). Keyspan has taken several steps towards supporting linux in thier products, so I support them. I got this converter so I could use my dial-up modem, BTW, which is a hardware based serial modem (usb modems are lacking/suck).

I would suggest just getting a usb mouse honestly. I have an IBM travel mouse, which is very portable, but extremely uncomfortable, so I'm actually going to get a second mouse. Optical is the only way to go. I might actually get an optical trackball myself.

I also have a usb floppy disk drive because my ibook lacks a floppy drive. So I have three devices ATM, and I also plan on getting a USB printer when I finish research what model, etc... Also been looking at the Neuros mp3/ogg player :) (screw ipod)

I haven't been in linux too much lately (debian when I am 8O ) because I have really just been reading about linux instead of doing anything with it. Basically IIRC all the USB devices are supposed to be built into the kernel in linux. If you enable kernel modules you would just load the modules when the device is inserted, and usually this is done automatically. As far as the mouse goes, the hotplug system for usb should take care of that.

Last edited by zenlunatic on Sun May 25, 2003 9:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
nonhuman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kraylus wrote:
far as i know, in linux or any other OS, you can't do that. since it's a serial adapter going into a usb port, you would have to tell linux to look at the usb port for your mouse, but to treat it as a serial mouse. personally, i don't think it can be done, but stranger things have happened.

I know for a fact that it works with Macs (both OS 9 and X) no problem. It seems strange that it wouldn't be possible in Linux as well.
sKewlBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the serial-to-usb isnt for a mouse, it's for a card reader/writer.
I have bought a usb mini mouse for about 20 dollars, but the mosue was with the ps2-to-usb adapter which isnt supported by no OS (even winderz) so I have no idea why those exist...

kraylus, I havent really understood your reply... those adapters exist and some of them even have support in the linux kernel.... since I started looking I have heard only stories of good working adapters.... That wasnt a "1337" forum'er comment :)
zenlunatic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just buy a new mouse :twisted:
nonhuman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sKewlBoy wrote:
the serial-to-usb isnt for a mouse, it's for a card reader/writer.
I have bought a usb mini mouse for about 20 dollars, but the mosue was with the ps2-to-usb adapter which isnt supported by no OS (even winderz) so I have no idea why those exist...

kraylus, I havent really understood your reply... those adapters exist and some of them even have support in the linux kernel.... since I started looking I have heard only stories of good working adapters.... That wasnt a "1337" forum'er comment :)

My understanding was the ps2 and USB were essentially the same standard just with different connectors. I have a Kensington Turbomouse 5.0 that instead of having a normal connector ends in a female plug, and comes with a little USB and a little ps2 cord that attaches to it.
antik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 5:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nonhuman wrote:

My understanding was the ps2 and USB were essentially the same standard just with different connectors. I have a Kensington Turbomouse 5.0 that instead of having a normal connector ends in a female plug, and comes with a little USB and a little ps2 cord that attaches to it.

Just connected my ps2 port over usb adapter with my usb digital camera and camera tells me that he uses pc connection. Is it even possible to read usb filesystem over ps2?
zhenlin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember the OSI model, there are layers. The protocol layer might be the same, but the transport and physical layers are worlds apart, therefore it is not possible to have it both ways. Besides, PS/2 is too slow to support even 1.5Mbps USB transmissions.

The only thing that would work is a device that encapsulates a PS/2 message in a USB packet... And software on the other side that reads it like a PS/2 device, not a HID device.
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used a serial/usb adapter in Windows. Worked pretty well. The software detected the USB connection and created a COM port that I could access as if it were a physical COM port. Never done it in Linux, though.
sKewlBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys, thank you for success stories.
I have my belkin usb serial adapter on the way and belkin module already compiled waiting for it :)

Maybe sometime later I'll try to dig out why such thins as a usb ps2 adapter exists...
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sKewlBoy wrote:
Maybe sometime later I'll try to dig out why such thins as a usb ps2 adapter exists...

So they only have to make one kind of mouse and it can be used on both ports.
zenlunatic
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why did you buy a belkin adapter? I told you that keyspan has an official open source linux module! *sigh*
sKewlBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zenlunatic, sorry then! I didnt mean to offend you :P I just knew a friend of mine had one belkin working at 100% and I checked it working, so I chose it...
Is belkin that worse than keyspan ?? or were you just offended for not following your comment :twisted:

pizen, what kind of mouse, if ps2 mouse doesnt work with the adapter ... ??
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sKewlBoy wrote:
pizen, what kind of mouse, if ps2 mouse doesnt work with the adapter ... ??

I think I'm confused. Are we talking about a usb-to-ps/2 adapter? Like the one that came with my usb mouse so that it can be used on a ps/2 port? If not please clarify.
sKewlBoy
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no, I have one of those too. Those are common and work ok.
I mean the inverse, ps2-to-usb, so I can have a ps2 port throught a usb one.
pizen
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sKewlBoy wrote:
no, I have one of those too. Those are common and work ok.
I mean the inverse, ps2-to-usb, so I can have a ps2 port throught a usb one.

Oh. Well, nevermind then.
Eyecannon
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I have one of those Belkin USB adapters, and I used to use it for my GPS with Redhat, and it would map the port to /dev/ttyUSB0. In gentoo, that device doesn't show up... I have Belkin compiled into the kernel... do I need to run it as a module? I can't remember how I got it working before :oops: Basically, I just need /dev/ttyUSB0 to show up!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: