X.org won't start on 2007.0 liveCD!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PuR17y
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 12:37 pm    Post subject: X.org won't start on 2007.0 liveCD! Reply with quote

I don't know if this is the right section for it, but mods please move this thread if you think that it is placed in the wrong place. :roll:

Ok, so here's my problem:

When I try to boot up from the new liveCD (2007.0) , everything goes fine until X.org is planned to start. It gives me an error saying something like: "X.org could not start because it is not configured correctly. Please configure X.org and restart it" :?

I have an ATi Radeon x1650 PRO 256Mb AGP GPU, and every other distro (except Fedora Core 6) has worked pretty much flawlessly.. :cry:

I would really wan't to give Gentoo Linux a try.. Please, can someone help me with this?
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to Gentoo :D

I suspect that the livecd tries to use the open-source ati drivers, but that they do not support your video card. Try changing the driver in the xorg.conf to "vesa", and then try to start X.
blippy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_alec wrote:

I suspect that the livecd tries to use the open-source ati drivers, but that they do not support your video card. Try changing the driver in the xorg.conf to "vesa", and then try to start X.

Have any idea on what I should do next? I can change the .conf file, replace ati with vesa...but I get a black screen and eventually (after some time) the caps lock and scroll lock keys flash....which I think is a kernel panic.

The downfall is that I can't look at a log file to see what happened (or at least I don't know how/what log file to look at).
soccrstar
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had to same thing happen to me. I had to install using text base by typing installer-dialog and it will start the dialog based install
Nvidia Gforce 8500GT
Gentoo Linux
PuR17y
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark_alec wrote:

Ok I'll try that and post the result here later. Thx for the help!! :D
demize2010
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: For real beginers... Reply with quote

Hi Guys!

I'm new to linux in general and found this bug when I tried to get gentoo up and working.

I wrote a description in the wiki for my company for complete begininers (like me...) thought it might be useful if anyone came flicking with limited XP of Linux

For some reason there is a bug in the 2007.0 Live CD. X Server refuses to load on some graphic chipsets (ATI, Nvidia)

I found that I could solve this by simply forceing Xorg to build the config file.

When requested for a kernal type:

Code:
gentoo nox

This will load gentoo to a command prompt and not bother with X windows or Gnome. Failure to add "nox" will result in headaches.

When you get to the command prompt, drop back to the root of the dirve:

Code:
cd /

Now lets build that config file:

Code:
Xorg -configure

This will create a config file to the root dirve. Lets check that either Vesa or Mesa is selected next to the display device (by default the live CD does not include these, which is what creates the headache)

Code:
vim xorg.conf.new

Make sure that vesa or mesa is written next to "driver ="

Now lets get this config file in the right place:

Code:
cp xorg.conf.new /etc/X11/xorg.conf

Almost there now...

Now type:

Code:
xstart

To fire up X server using the gnome interface. Alternatively type

Code:
gnome

or

Code:
kde

Enjoy the magic!
lmcogs
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi tried demize2010 solution but got blank screen by the way I think it's startx not xstart. I have nvidia card. When is this going to be fixed?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: