printer problems
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
silux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2003 5:02 pm    Post subject: printer problems Reply with quote

well I followed the gentoo documentation for my printer which happens to be a hp deskjet 932c ... The problem I'm having is that the kernel modules usb_core and printer both load up but they dont' seem to see my printer.... I've tried direrent usb ports but still nothing

If anyone could give me some advice I would greatly appreciate it.
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2003 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you give a few more details?

What other USB-, printer- and hotplug-related options do you have in your kernel? Do you get any extra output in dmesg after you have turned your printer on that wasn't there before? What does it say? What about /dev/usb? Do you have a Windows partition, and if so, does the printer work from that?
silux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don'th have any other usb - printer - hotplug related options in my kernel.
when the kernel loads it says that printer.o and usb-core.o load fine but it says nothing about actually detecting a printer.

there is nothing in /dev/usb
I don't have a windows partition but I recently installed gentoo on this box and was running wondows on this machine before where the printer worked fine...

the printer is an hpdj932c
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 27, 2003 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

silux wrote:
I don'th have any other usb - printer - hotplug related options in my kernel.

I'm no expert, but I believe that you need hotplug support enabled. I'm sure there are several other usb/printer-related options in the kernel config that you'll need to find and enable. If you are using menuconfig, it shouldn't take too long to find them. menuconfig has good help pages on most kernel options.

Any time you are having problems with kernel modules, a good first step is to see if it works when they are compiled directly into the kernel.

Also, you didn't mention the output of dmesg in your last reply. dmesg can be very helpful.
silux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay well I checked over my kernel configuration... as far as I can tell... with my limited knowledge I have everything set up right... I followed the documentation on the gentoo docs page until I got to the point where I was supposed to check where they say check this log and see what it says... it should say x and mine did not...

usb.c: registered new driver usbdevfs
usb.c: registered new driver hub
usb.c: registered new driver usblp
printer.c: v0.11: USB Printer Device Class driver

this was the pertinant info printed from dmesg...
Ian Goldby
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't say whether that output appeared before or after you turned your printer on, but I'll assume it was before, and that nothing new appeared when you turned your printer on.

Ok, that would suggest that your USB system is unable to detect when a new device becomes available. I suggest you post the relevant bits of your kernel .config file and I'll have a look.
silux
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2003 5:54 pm    Post subject: figured it out although ... Reply with quote

Apparently all I had to do was run ...

/etc/init.d/hotplug start
rc-update add hotplug default

and I would be all set... although I dont see this in the documentation anywhere.... thanks for trying to help me out though...it works now so I'm happy :-)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: