View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: this has nothing to do with screen or energy saving Reply with quote

drault wrote:
and, obviously, i still get the 100% cpu activity issue
it seems to trigger upon inactivity (it just happened after 15 or 20 minutes)
if i'm patient and it has not been busy *too long*, X will, in time, respond again

shiosai wrote:
After some more days and freezes I have to agree, it freezes after some time of inactivity (but not every time).
How do you hardkill X? Every time i want to kill my X via ssh my whole system
crashs ...

(OT: Welcome back, forums :-) )

I personnally can switch to a tty and run killall -9 X.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I confirm (for my own case) running superkaramba monitor applets with CPU monitoring have X go 100% if my computer is left idle for a long time. I've now run plenty of applets (well, ok, at least 5 :oops: ) which all monitor CPU and X goes 100% all the time. With only LiquidWeather and a dmesg monitor everything is fine for even weeks of idling.

Is that a superkaramba bug? Or do monitor applets just need to be redesigned?
Grayman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings - just to add my 2 cents to this...

I have had numerous weird lockups for around a week now. They happened while fiddling with the desktop screensaver settings in KDE, or while bringing up amarok to change the song or...

Anyhow, what I have done:

- Make a backup of the xorg.conf file, run X -configure, cp the new xorg.conf.new and overwrite xorg.conf. I added one or two things to the new xorg.conf, such as the nvidia option to not show the nvidia logo, as well as screen vertical and horizontal settings

- Copied my e-mail, wallpapers away from the kde hidden files, and then delete the hidden files, restart the box and drop the copied files back in the freshly made kde folder - something of a pain as I had to go reset all the kde settings...

So far - around an hour down the way, all is OK - the box will be running all tomorrow with various apps and the 'saver all running - hope this is now fixed - prior to this 30 minutes would be enough to pull it down - keyboard dead tho mouse still moves

Grayman
drault
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys

last time i posted i said i'd try my conf without superkaramba
well, that definitely is the problem for me

with superkaramba off, no pb at all for 48h
i start it again, launch a couple of themes, next time the computer is idle for 15min the cpu went berserk again

i'm experiencing the same behaviour on my laptop at work

there is no doubt here that the issue is linked to what superkaramba does but i still can't understand why it does not happen when one is actually doing thing with the computer... any ideas out there ?
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

drault wrote:
there is no doubt here that the issue is linked to what superkaramba does but i still can't understand why it does not happen when one is actually doing thing with the computer... any ideas out there ?

Maybe it's time we filed a bug?

I've also tried superkaramba monitors with a blank profile and, like you, the CPU goes berserk too. So in this particular case it's not related to anything else, IMHO.

EDIT: Note I also have an Inspiron 9400 (Core2 Duo) laptop with Gentoo x86_64 and I never experienced that problem even on long periods idle. But I'm running Aero All in One (AIO) 0.9.1. I probably never left it with the CPU monitoring tab active while idle. Let's see if it hangs too next time. I'll post my results soon.
Grayman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

Just a short comment thus far - my box has been running now for over 12 hours - with openoffice, gimp, amaroke and kontact all up, with nary a crash since the changes I made as detailed above - it would appear as if the issue is fixed here - I plan on running boinc for a while too to see if the issue recurrs. I might add that today the euphoria screen saver, and opengl one, was running through the day, with amarok repeating a playlist - I was at work, so I could use nothing else to add load.

Grayman
drault
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: seems the issue is already known Reply with quote

http://bugs.archlinux.org/task/7513

there are people experiencing the issue not using superkaramba though...

i guess the guy's right :
Quote:
Comment by Greg Meyer (oggb4mp3) - Friday, 27 July 2007, 22:55 GMT-4
[...]
Also, following the lead in the ubuntu forums linked to above, I removed superkaramba, and three days have gone by with no problems. I suppose superkaramba could be using the offending commands, so it is still a driver issue, although this does not explain why people have reported this with hardware other than nvidia

right now i'm just quitting superkaramba (so much for my cute custom themes :-( )
Grayman
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2007 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

just dicovered how to crash this box with ease:

this goes into the xorg.conf -

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

then restart and right click on desktop to get the screensaver module. choose an opengl option and try to use anything other than default settings and bam ! keyboard locked - mouse moves but cannot interact with desktop.
this happens whether I enable transparency from the KDE control centre or not.

as soon as I take out the composite enable bit, I can fiddle happily - so for me, the composite is a prob - lucky I don't really need it as I prefer a fast machine than a snazzy looking one - anyhow maybe this might help someone.

Grayman
pigeon768
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nvidia-drivers 100.14.19 w/ xorg-x11 7.3 and xorg-server 1.4-r1 does not fix my crashing problem. I have compositing disabled and everything.
pman35
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another report in this direction: Irecently upgraded from 7.1 to 7.2 (xorg-server-1.3)
Kaffeine always freezes the entire machine after a couple of minutes (like between 20 and 30 mins or so)
when watching TV over a DVB-T adapter. It freezes totally... no reaction whatsoever, nothing in the logs,
I can only reboot.

I downgraded the server and everything is fine again.
But since the update the fonts are annoyingly large ... anyone know why?

Cheers, pman
Fred Krogh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:12 pm    Post subject: No Mouse xorg-server-1.4-r1 -- SOLVED Reply with quote

Just installed xorg-server-1.4-r1 and nvidia-drivers-100.14.19 on an opteron system. The mouse is not working. Any suggestions most welcome. Thanks,
Fred

Last edited by Fred Krogh on Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Fred Krogh
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got this error in Xorg.0.log
Quote:
(II) LoadModule: "mouse"
(II) Loading /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input//mouse_drv.so
dlopen: /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input//mouse_drv.so: undefined symbol: miPointerGetMotionE
vents
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input//mouse_drv.so
(II) UnloadModule: "mouse"
(EE) Failed to load module "mouse" (loader failed, 7)

This was a useful clue. I re-emerged xf86-input-mouse-1.2.2 and all is working --- at least for now.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: seems the issue is already known Reply with quote

drault wrote:
right now i'm just quitting superkaramba (so much for my cute custom themes :-( )

You don't need to quit superkaramba, just avoid using any of these hardware monitors and it'll be fine.
hiziki_gard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also mentioned this in the "kde is not running" thread.

I upgraded to xorg-server 1.4 and it seems that I can't no longer start a X session on any other displaynumber besides the default one which is 0.

What happens is I get a complete system lockup i.e. keyboard no longer responding so I would be stuck in a black screen with a terminal cursor on the upper left corner if the X session was started from the vt or a bizarre screen with alternating thin black and white vertical stripes if it was started from another X session. As I mentioned above X on 0 works just fine.
PaV
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello!

I've got a new Sony VAIO laptop VGN-FZ51B with 15'' 1280x800 display and NVIDIA GeForce 8400M GT. I've emerged xorg-x11 with nvidia in VIDEO_CARDS. I've also used nvidia-config to generate my xorg.conf and edited it myself a bit (resolution). I have no idea about my refresh rates, couldn't find them on the Internet.
Right now after running startx I get some artifacts on the screen for about 2-3 seconds and then it gets completely dark. I don't know if I can do anything since I can't see anything (ctrl+alt+backspace and ctrl+alt+F1 don't help). I have to do ctrl+alt+del and restart.
My Xorg.0.log shows an error - that there is no libwfb. I don't know what is it and where to get it, there is no such thing in Portage... Is this the reason?
My xorg.conf: http://rafb.net/p/jidvwt21.html
My Xorg.0.log: http://rafb.net/p/8LM2gq18.html

Thank you for any help!
mitchy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: How to debug a system lock up? Reply with quote

My system is locking up, but it seems very consistent compared to some other posts. I've got a job in my print queue that is held. If in Gnome I go in to remove it through the GUI, I lock up when I right click on the print job. At that point my entire system freezes (no ssh from another system, nothing). I can go in through the shell and view/remove via the lp* commands without any trouble, so it seems to be something with the Gnome GUI. I have 2 questions:

• Does anyone know what may be going on here?
  • How could I go about debugging this?

BigBrain
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, whenever I try to start my X server it just gives me a black screen and freezes.
Xorg.0.log: http://pastebin.org/3937
The strange thing is that it says it detected a PCIe card although I have an AGP...
I'm using kernel 2.6.19-r5 (gentoo-sources), but the newest stable one didn't work, too.
ati-drivers are version 8.41 and I have reinstalled the kernel and drivers several times without success.
Google and the forum search didn't give helping results, so i thought I just ask :D
Possible solutions?

EDIT: fixed by kernel recompile without genkernel

Last edited by BigBrain on Thu Oct 11, 2007 7:46 am; edited 1 time in total
yakoi
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 03, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: xorg or xfwm4? Reply with quote

I also experience random input (keyboard and mouse) lockups. Same symptoms as older posts on this thread: the mouse cursor can still be moved but no focus and I cannot click. Other than that, the computer runs ok. The windows still update, the compilation (if any) goes on as well as any apps running. I sometime can ctrl-alt-backspace and restart X while othertime I have to hard-reboot the computer.

I use xfce 4.4.1, xorg 7.2, kernel 2.6.20, have a dell latitude d820 with nvidia drivers.

I have tried re-emerging xorg-server and xfwm4, tried most of suggestion on this thread and it still freezes from time to time (approx. once every 30 minutes of use).

Archlinux forum has an interesting thread with people having the exact same symptoms and they associate it to xfwm4.

http://bbs.archlinux.org/viewtopic.php?pid=286169

I know some posts on this thread are from users of KDE but their symptoms seem a bit different.

I have noticed that clicking the xfce pager is one event that seem to bring up the problem the most often.

My next move is to try some other DE to compare.

Is there anyone experiencing these same exact symptoms lately while NOT using xfce ?
georanma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now after I managed to figure out what retarded mistake I made during my gentoo install, im trying to get some sort of GUI going. So I found i needed to install xorg. So i set up my make.conf file. but when I try and emerge it, it goes to download the files and says failed: temporary failure in name resolution.

it does that for a few files then decies that it cant download 'pkg-config-0.21.tar.gz' and quits

says
fetch failed for 'dev-util/pkgconfig-0.21-r1

just trying to get some sort of gui going on my first gentoo install...thanks for the help = )
mitchy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to try syncing your Portage tree.
Code:
emerge --sync

Once in a while there is a bug in there that causes some issues with an emerge, but they seem to be fixed fairly fast.
kiksen
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:14 am    Post subject: Stabilized! [Solved] Reply with quote

ok, tried a lot of stuff to get my system stable after switching to a dual core AMD64 5000+. The maxcpus=1 kernel parameter solves the issue, but then what's the point in getting a dual-core...

Reading this: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=58498, I looked for PCI: Using MMCONFIG in dmesg output, but it wasn't there. I have PCI Access configured to 'Any' in the kernel. So far, adding pci=nommconf kernel parameter has stabilized my system. I will report on it later if I still have issues, but now I can run OpenGL programs for more than a few minutes again (bzflag to name an important one :)

Recap: Try adding pci=nommconf kernel parameter

HTH

/kiksen

[EDIT] Nope, didn't solve the issue - back to using maxcpus=1 :( Tried using irqbalance as another thread on nvnews.net suggested to no avail.

[EDIT] I upgraded the bios on my Asus M2NE-SLI to the latest beta bios (was the latest stable before) That was it... I'm good to go!
zotik0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Everybody,

it seems to me that the most of you are experiencing problems with KDE.
I'm a Gnome/Compiz-Fusion user and since the xorg-server 1.3.0 i got the X lock-ups. My symptoms were the following :

• At gdm startup, after 2-3 secs, the screen was getting into power-save mode
  • After 10-15 minutes X lock-up, keyboard don't respond , but the mouse moves and content of windows and clock are still updated

After reading this post the first time, I've recompiled all the xf86-input-* ebuilds and that gave me the keyboard back during the lock-ups, so i could do a CTRL-ALT-BCKSPACE. But symptoms were still there..... So I found out that doing a CTRL-ALT-BCKSPACE before the lock-up was addressing the problem.

So I focused on the first symptom, and I've disabled the ntp-client init script. And guess what? 8O

Now everything works just fine ! 8)

I don't have to much time to analyze when the xdm init script was modified to start earlier, but I think that in my case this is the source of the X lock-up bug. And I have even less time to determine if the bug is in the x11-apps/xinit or in the ntp-client stuff or maybe elsewhere....
I hope someone could do that, because i really don't like not having my clock sync'ed :wink:

Cheers from Agrestic :mrgreen:
frostwork
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had similar random freezes, with (sometimes) mouse still moveable -
https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=192048#c79
really seems to be the soultion for this problem:
emerge pixman poppler evince
*seems* to have fixed it here :)
billydv
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I havent had any freezes for quite some time. Heres what Ive done.

1- Using 2.6.23 kernel with latest nvidia-drivers 100.14.19 and all the stable xorg packages

2- Heres my xorg.conf

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "X.org Configured"
Screen 0 "Screen0" 0 0
InputDevice "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
Option "AllowMouseOpenFail" "True"
Option "AIGLX" "False"
EndSection

Section "Files"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/100dpi"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/75dpi"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/artwiz"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/corefonts"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/default/ghostscript"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/misc"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/ttf-bitstream-vera"
FontPath "/usr/share/fonts/Type1"
FontPath "/usr/local/share/fonts"
EndSection

Section "Module"
Load "glx"
Load "extmod"
Load "wfb"
Load "xtrap"
Load "record"
Load "dbe"
Load "freetype"
Load "type1"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard0"
Driver "kbd"
Option "CoreKeyboard"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc104"
Option "XkbOptions" "grp:toggle,grp_led:scroll"
Option "XkbVariant" ",winkeys"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Mouse0"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Protocol" "auto"
Option "Device" "/dev/input/mice"
Option "ZAxisMapping" "4 5 6 7"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "IBM CRT 190"
HorizSync 30.0 - 96.0
VertRefresh 50.0 - 160.0
Option "DPMS" "False"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "nVidia Corporation"
BoardName "GeForce 8800 GTS"
BusID "PCI:3:0:0"
Identifier "GeForce 8800 GTS"
Option "UseEDID" "False"
Option "DPI" "72 x 72"
Option "SLI" "False"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
Option "DynamicTwinView" "False"
Option "Coolbits" "1"
Option "DamageEvents" "True"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Screen0"
Device "GeForce 8800 GTS"
Monitor "IBM CRT 190"
DefaultColorDepth 24
SubSection "Display"
Depth 16
Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 24
EndSubSection
SubSection "Display"
Depth 32
EndSubSection
EndSection

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" "Enable"
EndSection

3- Using compiz-fusion live ebuilds from xeffects instead of beryl or compiz

4- I am using xscreensaver set to no dpms and one screensaver, electricsheep. Dont ask me why but I think electricsheep keeps the cpus a little busy which prevents the lockups. Try it for yourself.
VinzC
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2007 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi again.

About X locking when I use Superkaramba monitoring applets: I've used gkrellm now for a couple of weeks and I've experienced no locking. I guess the lock ups I experienced were due to KDE (API) only since this GTK monitor also accesses various sensors but doesn't produce the same effect.

Problem gone for me. Not solved however.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 5 of 13

Jump to: