Ultra 5 VX100 Boot problem[SOLVED]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NewBlackDak
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Ultra 5 VX100 Boot problem[SOLVED] Reply with quote

The graphics went bad in my Ultra5, but everything else was working . I got my hands on a VX100, and wanted to wipe Solaris 10 to install Gentoo. On boot the last thing I see is mach64 detected, and then it's just the white/gray OBP background.
I've tried video=radeonfb and video=radeonfb:1680x1050x16@60. As soon as it detects the(bad) built-in card it tries to use it.

It boots the Solaris installer and installs without a problem, but it looks like the Linux kernel isn't honoring my nvaliases.

Before you ask, I don't have a single machine with a serial port(besides the Ultra 5).
UltraSparc5 440 - sparcy

Last edited by NewBlackDak on Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:10 am; edited 1 time in total
NewBlackDak
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's how you do it. It's pretty simple now that I look at it. It just took a few days to actually find it.

You need to use the video= option when booting to disable the unwanted card/driver. On Ultra 5/10 that will probably always be the atyfb
Example:
Code:
video=[badfb]:off,[goodfb]:[x-res]x[yres]-[depth]@[refresh]

Mine is:
Code:
video=atyfb:off,radeonfb:1680x1050-16@60

This could be used for anyone who wants to upgrade to a better video card than the onboard Mach64.
Once I got the kernel recompiled I installed a Voodoo3 2000, and I can force it as the primary framebuffer too. It doesn't have OBP of course, but it works fine once the kernel takes over.

I do think it's silly that my crusty old Ultra 5 with what is essentially a Radeon 7000/VE can have a 1680x1050 console, and I have to settle for a stretched 1280x1024 on my AMD64 machine with an X850.
UltraSparc5 440 - sparcy
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: