Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
ssmtp and msmtp installed, eselect mailer list empty?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bssteph
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: ssmtp and msmtp installed, eselect mailer list empty? Reply with quote

Okay, I'm not entirely sure if I'm barking up the wrong tree or not, but maybe someone can point me in the right direction. I have an x86 box with ssmtp and msmtp both installed. ssmtp is for various system level things to send mail through my ISP's server. msmtp is used as a sendmail replacement for myself in mutt, using other systems' mail; I'm pleased with both, they serve their purpose and send mail fine, etc. etc.

My problem though is the following: both packages want to make themselves sendmail/mailq/etc in /etc/mail/mailer.conf. Whenever either is merged, they want to overwrite the config. I want ssmtp to always be the system's mailer. It seems like eselect mailer is made for this, but mine is empty:

Code:
cthulhu@kaylee ~ % sudo eselect mailer list
Available mailer.conf profiles:
  (none found)

My packages:

Code:
cthulhu@kaylee ~ % emerge -pv ssmtp msmtp

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating dependencies... done!
[ebuild   R   ] mail-mta/ssmtp-2.61-r2  USE="ipv6 mailwrapper ssl -md5sum" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] mail-mta/msmtp-1.4.7  USE="mailwrapper nls ssl -doc -gnutls -sasl" 0 kB

Am I wrong in expecting eselect to do what I want (make it so that ssmtp is always the system default, and I never have to make sure I don't overwrite a config file when emerging), or is there something more I need to do? Thanks.
terminal9
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems both ebuilds have a common misunderstanding of how mailwrapper works. They both copy a mailer.conf under /etc/mail, which should be named [profile].mailer instead and mailer.conf has to be symlink to one these managed by eselect.
You can rename mailer.conf of each ebuild with a .mailer extension to remedy your situation, eselect can then work as expected in this case.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: