How to send syslog-ng messages to xconsole
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mimosinnet
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: How to send syslog-ng messages to xconsole Reply with quote

The syslog-ng section of the security handbook offers a configuration example for syslog-ng. One line states:
Quote:
destination xconsole { pipe("/dev/xconsole"); };

Nevertheless, the configuration example does not have any log statement with the xconsole identifier.

Even if I write a log statement for the xconsole identifier, /dev/xconsole pipe does not exist, so it seems I must create it. I am able to make syslog-ng to log to /dev/xconsole adapting this instructions, so I should write:

Code:
# mkfifo /dev/xconsole
# chmod 644 /dev/xconsole
# chown root.tty /dev/xconsole

Nevertheless, it seems I should create a script for all the instructions as /dev/xconsole is deteled at shutdown.

I am writing this syslog-ng howto commenting the /etc/syslog-ng/syslog-ng.conf configuration file suggested by the security handbook, and I am stuck at this point. I would appreciate any comments giving some light on how to send messages to xconsole from syslog-ng.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Networking & Security All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: