View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
glamajamma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2002 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been trying to run kazaalite and have been getting the same error message over and over again.
"Warning: loading builtin comdlg32.dll, but native version already present. Expect trouble."
I used this website on configuring the setup.
http://franksworld.net/wine/modules.php?op=modload&name=Sections&file=index&req=viewarticle&artid=134&page=1

anyone have any ideas?
knowhow
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what winver did you take the dlls from?
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Music and File sharing.. Reply with quote

Tristam29 wrote:
I was using LimeWire, but I didn't really get the kinds of hits that I did with Napster in it's hey-day.

Those days, I think, shall never return. The P2P market is too splintered now. My suggestions:

~ Limewire blocks a lot of other clients packets ( BearShare for instance ). Dissasemble it and remove these 'bugs'. Might help a little.

~ mlDonkey is a good client for the excellent eDonkey2K P2P infrastructure. I like the way ed2k can use centralised servers ( http://www.sharereactor.com ) to describe given files as a hash, saving people from having to search / and / or contend with other peoples weird naming schemes. mlDonkey is in the portage tree.

My only caveat with donkey is it is mostly full of music that is still in print. If you're using P2P to try and hunt down really obscure / old files, you might be better served looking elsewhere ( with the exception of Amiga disk images ).

-- Curious.
Amiga owning maniac.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2002 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutoBot wrote:
Tristam29 wrote:
I would very much appreciate any simple howto some graceous fellow might create.

I will try to write up a howto for dc_gui soon and put it somewhere accessible to all.

Are you (or any intrepid fellow like you) any closer with this? :cry:
diefu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 5:48 am    Post subject: dcgui error Reply with quote

after reading this thread i emerge dctc and the gui but i keep getting this " Error: 'Connection reset by peer'" each time i try to connect to a hub. Anyone know how what the problem is?
pilla
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Re: dcgui error Reply with quote

Looks like you have a problem of connection reset by peer 8) Seriously, try posting in the support forums.

diefu wrote:
after reading this thread i emerge dctc and the gui but i keep getting this " Error: 'Connection reset by peer'" each time i try to connect to a hub. Anyone know how what the problem is?
vertigo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:50 am    Post subject: AutoBot: LDCC Troubles Reply with quote

Hey, i'm sorry, im pretty much an idiot and im probably going to get flamed and told to go RTFM, but here goes my problem.

Ive used DC for awhile, and in my opinion its the best p2p network out there.

that said, ive been trying to get ldcc to work so i can monitor file transfers through putty.

I've got dctc working fine, and ldcc installed with only a warning about loadkeys, however, when i go to run ldcc.main i get this error:

ldcc.main: error while loading shared libraries: libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

is this because the executable was originally compiled on a red hat box, and i just ran the install.sh instead of compiling? Probably way the hell out there, but almost everything that comes back from google in response to libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 seems related to RH.

I've checked the forums on LDCC's page, and tried copying files from my dctc installation over to the ldcc/dctc dir, which seemed to be the only relevant suggested posted, to no effect.

Well, if no one replies, thats cool. ill keep on searching in the meantime.. and i can always just keep on using one of the guis. Just thought if someone had a quick answer, id fire this off.

Thank you.
Curious
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 12:59 am    Post subject: Re: AutoBot: LDCC Troubles Reply with quote

vertigo wrote:
is this because the executable was originally compiled on a red hat box, and i just ran the install.sh instead of compiling? Probably way the hell out there, but almost everything that comes back from google in response to libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3 seems related to RH.

It would seem so. Your executable is linked against a library you don't have. You have a few options here. One is to try and get a statically linked version. I don't know if that's an option for you. The other would be to get the library from a friend or something, stick it somewhere safe ( $HOME/.libs/ for example ) and set LD_LIBRARY_PATH=$LD_LIBRARY_PATH:$HOME/.libs/ before running your program.

Good luck!

-- Curious
vertigo
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2002 1:04 am    Post subject: Thank you Curious Reply with quote

Thank you very much.

I saw the static download on the site, and didnt think too much of it. I just switched to linux a few weeks ago, and am still learning the ropes.

2 minutes after reading your post, im into LDCC.

Thanks again!
bos_mindwarp
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 22, 2002 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

direct connect rulz (in sweden anyway, we have 10 mbit at home :D)
Carlos
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really love giFT; I imagine it's comparable to a really good DC hub in terms of the quantity of shared files, download speeds, etc., and it's worked great for me despite my being behind a firewall.

I do have one problem, though: a few weeks ago I found that whenever I ran giFT, everything else that used the internet started becoming really slow - latency in thousands of milliseconds - finding later that it was because the program was using all my upstream bandwidth. I throttled it, and all was well, until with some update of giFT, throttling stopped working. My solution now is to set max_uploads to 0 wheever I'm sitting at the box, and setting it to -1 for unlimited uploading whenever I'm away, but that's hardly optimal. Time to emerge gift-cvs again, I guess...
decker in flux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2002 4:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fundamental problem right now, is NOT the lack of a good client for linux, and by the same token for windows: There is no such thing as a good p2p network at this moment. Personally i have not used a p2p network except in passing, with much frustration. The creation and distribution of "copyrighted" material is not for mass consumption, by the definition of copywrong. The idea to explode the underworld scene to the populus can and should be resented to the same degree that Microsoft's ignorance, malicious negligence, and domination are; everyday people are to stupid to handle certain less tangible responsibilities ( i.e. sharing ).

DC, Direct Connect, is the nearest to ideal, resembling something that allows for the sort of selectiveness that is necessary to remove the irresponsible. However, the failing of DC, and every other p2p network lies in one area, and comes in 2 different flavors:

1) Central servers: that is a client must connect to some central entity( ies ) in order to share. Napster's example shows how this cannot be a viable long term approach.

2) Distributed Network: this really isnt a problem, if done correctly. No one has yet. Avoiding a discussion on the merits of certain network topologies and protocol approaches, lets just say no, its all wrong so far.

My bet for now is DC.

Once the next week or so is over, I will have more time to invest in my own project to supercede all the currently existing garbage ( I will post more details when I get a page together ).

For those interested in discussing, feel free to email me; particularly those who have knowledge of programming in j2sdk as well as a working knowledge of pairwise string alignment using hidden markov models. ( i.e. if you are curious or wnat to help please email me )

-D
m00re
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 29, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a question to dctc: where do i get a list of recent hubs?
i emerged dctc and dc-gui, but i have no list of hubs, i can connect to.

thanks in advance.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2003 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently some more discussion has taken place on P2P clients. However, Good dc client that won't get me banned? has been moved in the interests of maintaining a single thread on linux gui p2p clients.
dazk
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like Soulseek and the pyslsk client
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please check out the 20 post duplicate of this thread that's called Most favorite p2p client?
tolle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2003 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I mostly use dctc with DCgui as my p2p app of choice. recently ive started to use giFT to. I got a stinky 1Mbyte download and 0,5Mbyte upload cable connection (I had 5/2Mbyte before, but they capped me). And when you got alot to share Direct Connect hubs is the excellent place to find movies. I share aproximatly 95Gbyte of movies and music (only 500mb music), but with 15 slots open on every hub my my 0,5Mbyte upload gets used pretty quickly. The sad part is that my ISP complains on me as fast as i transfer more then 3Gbyte of data per month.. (my average is around 30Gbyte).

So, back to topic. The best p2p apps if you ask me is dctc with DCgui, and giFT with the fasttrack plugin and a nice ui.
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More duplicate posts of this thread:
tomk wrote:
And some p2p dupes:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=127064
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=113879
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=63742

of this:
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic.php?t=5571
This is the official P2P file sharing thread.
mlsfit138
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 02, 2004 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not implying that I actually download files illegally, :lol: but I've noticed that a lot of fake stuff has been showing up on fasttrack (I use giFT). I wondered how so much fake material could be on the network, and I guessed that someone (probably sponsored by the riaa) is running a series of nodes and super-nodes that are distributing the stuff. (If one node is registered as a search node, that links exclusively to fake content, that search node can do a lot of damage) I then wondered if there was a way around these nodes. Seems pretty simple, just block the search node.

Wow, just googled around a bit, and found that there are other's that have the same inkling. In fact there are tools out there to block IP addresses of known problem nodes (in windows). anybody know of a way to block these problem nodes in linux? I guess it could be done w/ netfilter but I have no other need for a local firewall at the moment.

-Converge, The Saddest Day, Petitioning the Empty Sky
Bague
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 28, 2004 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can we refresh our list of p2p networks? With the lifespan of P2p networks and the age of this thread, I am sure many of the formerly mentioned are either dead, dying, or way past thier former glory.
blaksaga
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bittorrent is good. A couple of good frontends include Bittornado and Azureus.

I used to use gift + fasttrack but it wasn't very good IMO.

Never got Kazaa to work in wine although that was a few months ago.

IRC is a good place to download stuff also if you know what you're doing.
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2004 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bague wrote:
Can we refresh our list of p2p networks? With the lifespan of P2p networks and the age of this thread, I am sure many of the formerly mentioned are either dead, dying, or way past thier former glory.

would be nice.
Squinky86
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

# emerge gift-gnutella gift-openft gift-fasttrack apollon
$ gift-setup
$ apollon

That would be my choice. Now, there are those that prefer the still very-popular gnutella network. For you, we offer a variety of choice:
# emerge gtk-gnutella phex qtella limewire

Also becoming popular is the soulseek network
# emerge pysoulseek

There's still mldonkey:
# emerge mldonkey

or the donkey/overnet cores:
# emerge overnet donkey

And what would a core be without its frontend?
# emerge ed2k-gtk-gui g2gui ( amule || xmule ) kmldonkey

Those are the more popular choices, but no telling how many I left out, like all the direct-connect stuffs :).

Edit 20040824: added limewire

Last edited by Squinky86 on Wed Aug 25, 2004 1:33 am; edited 2 times in total
Zepp
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any programs that will connect to winmx network?
CooDy
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay I emerged gift, but I cant get any other interface but apollon, which is totally unacceptable, since I REFUSE to install kde-base, so is there any alternative for an interface.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: