View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I emerge dctc, dchub and the gui. Haven't configured everything yet, and I'm starting to wonder if I should bother. For those that use DC, what is your available upload bandwidth? Sounds like this isn't the thing for ADSL users.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheWizard wrote:
why can't people understand that not everyone has fast lines (fast u/l's specialy).

This is going to sound mean and elitist -- I don't mean it either way. That said...

Why can't people understand that not all applications have to acommodate people with slow internet connections?

IMO, if you want to participate in an online community, you have to adhere to the community rules. With DC, that means sharing. If you don't like that, or can't comply due to technical reasons, don't participate. Yes, that's cold-hearted. No, not everyone can get (or afford) a broadband connection. However, how successful do you think DC woudl be if nobody shared and everyone only downloaded????

--kurt
joshua
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 10:26 am    Post subject: mldonkey 1.99 Reply with quote

anyway, there are ebuilds in portage for mldonkey, but i downloaded and built (yes, it's open source now) the latest cvs (1.99~) for mldonkey. it supports already open napster, openft, audiogalaxy, soulseek, limewire, direct connect, and, of course, edonkey.

it seems to have a plugin-system, so it's extensble for other technologies/networks.

like the old version it separates gui from engine, so you can either use the commandline-shell (remote via telnet), the built-in (ugly) web client or the supplied gtk-gui, which still needs some work, but does it's job.
there are even guis for windows, for those who prefer ... uhm ...

i think thats the best solution for file sharing, you can get whatever you want and it runs fast - at least for me. i like it to have it running on my router/firewall while accessing it from any pc in our nice little home-network. its possible to access it from the internet, but who wants to rely on passwords?

i just wanted to tell you people about that, because it makes me happy. if anyone is looking for a cool filesharing-client, try the latest mldonkey, building it is very easy.

vou can find inks to all mldonkey stuff at http://go.to/mldonkey

have fun!
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: mldonkey 1.99 Reply with quote

joshua wrote:
anyway, there are ebuilds in portage for mldonkey, but i downloaded and built (yes, it's open source now) the latest cvs (1.99~) for mldonkey. it supports already open napster, openft, audiogalaxy, soulseek, limewire, direct connect, and, of course, edonkey.

it seems to have a plugin-system, so it's extensble for other technologies/networks.

like the old version it separates gui from engine, so you can either use the commandline-shell (remote via telnet), the built-in (ugly) web client or the supplied gtk-gui, which still needs some work, but does it's job.
there are even guis for windows, for those who prefer ... uhm ...

i think thats the best solution for file sharing, you can get whatever you want and it runs fast - at least for me. i like it to have it running on my router/firewall while accessing it from any pc in our nice little home-network. its possible to access it from the internet, but who wants to rely on passwords?

i just wanted to tell you people about that, because it makes me happy. if anyone is looking for a cool filesharing-client, try the latest mldonkey, building it is very easy.

vou can find inks to all mldonkey stuff at http://go.to/mldonkey

have fun!

Thanks for the information joshua, but unfortunately I wouldn't call mldonky a file sharing application as it is more of a file leeching program. Direct Connect is not open source and mldonkeys ability to connect to DC is an intrusion to say the least.

It is a well written application and the author deserves credit for his work, but I wish he would remove the ability to download from Direct Connect.

.: If you look at the stats for mldonkey you will see out of the six different networks it downloads from, it can only upload to one and to me this equals nothing more than a leeching application.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:11 pm    Post subject: Re: mldonkey 1.99 Reply with quote

AutoBot wrote:
If you look at the stats for mldonkey you will see out of the six different networks it downloads from, it can only upload to one
Interesting. I'd be curious to know why. Do the other 5 prevent uploads somehow?

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at the bottom of the page, it gives the current abilitys of mldonkey.
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'm not misunderstanding that, he's working on getting upload with DC working, no?

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
joshua
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:24 pm    Post subject: leeching .... Reply with quote

hm, right, 1.16 was a pure edonkey client, where one could share like if he was using edonkey. i did not know that mldonkey does not share files to other networks (does anyone know if it is planned?), the mldonkey developers said, that they want to hide most upload information from the user for psychological reasons.

right now i only enabled support the edonkey network and share as much as i can, but i hope i did not encourage any people to leech.

share people, share!
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know how direct connect works right ?, it isn't like gnutella or edonkey. The hubs are run by individuals with a predetermined ruleset by which there is no way mldonkey will be able to abide by. Direct Connect works on a more personal and interactive mannor, meaning you actually have to read and follow the rules set by the owner.

.: If mldonkeys abilities were narrowed down to only being able to download/upload from one network at a time then it would indeed be a great filesharing application and I would be behind it 100%. But when your connected to all those networks at the same time you are doing nothing more than leeching files, because what are the chances of downloading something from someone when they are connected to seven different p2p applications simultaneously.
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: leeching .... Reply with quote

joshua wrote:
hm, right, 1.16 was a pure edonkey client, where one could share like if he was using edonkey. i did not know that mldonkey does not share files to other networks (does anyone know if it is planned?), the mldonkey developers said, that they want to hide most upload information from the user for psychological reasons.

right now i only enabled support the edonkey network and share as much as i can, but i hope i did not encourage any people to leech.

share people, share!

Way to go joshua, this is indeed the way to use the application...I commend you :D
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutoBot wrote:
because what are the chances of downloading something from someone when they are connected to seven different p2p applications simultaneously.
I'm assuming your getting at a long download queue or lack of bandwidth. I limited downloads when I used WinMX pretty severely. I think I only allowed 5 downloads (2 from the same user). What I'd like to see is a client that drops users that aren't sharing. Of course, it'd be easy to circumvent, but it'd be a good start.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But you do see where I'm coming from ?
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If my assumption was correct, yes.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
What I'd like to see is a client that drops users that aren't sharing.

DC does this, though it's controlled server-side, rather than client side. I've seen DC hubs that drop users at logon if they aren't sharing the necessary number of slots or their share directory isn't large enough.

Of course, then you get cheaters who fake slots and shares, so the net effect is somewhat muted.

I agree with the idea, however, and I hope someone comes up with an effective method to dump the leeches.

--kurt
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately I didn't even bother to configure DC. I uninstalled it the other day.
kanuslupus wrote:
I emerge dctc, dchub and the gui. Haven't configured everything yet, and I'm starting to wonder if I should bother. For those that use DC, what is your available upload bandwidth? Sounds like this isn't the thing for ADSL users.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:
Unfortunately I didn't even bother to configure DC. I uninstalled it the other day.
kanuslupus wrote:

I'd say DC is fine for ADSL users -- a typical DC hub requires 2-3 slots to be shared per user and you have complete control over the number of slots you open up. Some clients even allow you to dynamically open slots based on the total upload bandwidth being used, which is kind of cool.

--kurt
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When dctc is properly configured, it is the most powerful client available for Direct Connect.

.: Maybe I will write a short howto or something if need be.
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kanuslupus wrote:

Even though you said you unmerged it, it seems the average upload per dc user is somewhere in the range of 20 KB/s.

.: I myself upload @ 50 KB/s
pjp
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2002 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'll reinstall and give it a whirl.

In Loving Memory
1787 - 2008
True
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2002 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not have a look at giFT? It's really easy to use and the quiality of files is really high (lots of ogg's and some mpc (no that wasn't meant to be mp3 ;-) ). I've been using it for a few weeks now and it's by far the best p2p app I've used. If you 'emerge giftcurs' you'll get a gui front end for it at the same time. Although there are other nicer looking gui's like http://giftoxic.sourceforge.net/index.php?screenshots I prefer giftcurs. It's simple and intuative. Either way, giFT's well worth a look..
phong
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 5:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just tryed playing around with dctc and dc_gui - they're making me feel pretty damn stupid. There are about a billion and two options, most of which seem to be greek to me (I am not finding much in the way of docs either.) So far the best I've been able to do is connect for about 2 seconds then get kicked with copious profanity flung in my general direction. Are there any direct connect clients that can be operated by a mere mortal? I mean, gnutella so far seems to be slow, and I can't find much, but at least I'm not getting abused. :(
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had pretty much the same experience as phong with dctc and the gui. I would very much appreciate any simple howto some graceous fellow might create. :) I have to admit that it's got a lot of good selling points, but configuration isn't one of them
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed Sep 11, 2002 5:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

phong wrote:
Are there any direct connect clients that can be operated by a mere mortal? I mean, gnutella so far seems to be slow, and I can't find much, but at least I'm not getting abused. :(

You could try the curses like frontend for dctc, it isn't opensource as the creator has used some type of proprietary code in the creation, but it seems he is looking into resolving this.

Tristam29 wrote:
I would very much appreciate any simple howto some graceous fellow might create.

I will try to write up a howto for dc_gui soon and put it somewhere accessible to all.
NiklasH
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd really recommend giFT, excellent quality of files and very easy to use. Just start the giFT daemon and hook up to it with the giFTcurs gui.

Come on, people, give giFT a try! :D
glamajamma
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i used gift when i was running mandrake, but now i just keep getting download cancels. I love gift it used to work so much better than gnutella.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: