View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use IRC as well, terrific for full albums (of non copyrighted music of course), I mostly listen to punk, and I can get any new album before its released at 200k/sec w/ no queues. but if i'm looking for one song and I want it quickly, i haven't found a solution yet :) as for the people who listen to songs and then go and buy the CD, you're part of the problem not the solution!!! you're not supporting the artists, you're supporting the label! if you want to support a band go to the show and buy a t-shirt, the band will see alot more of the money that way.
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zen_guerrilla wrote:
Anyone tried dctc ?

Yes! The best option is to use dctc as a back end to dc_gui (gtk) which will make your life a lot easier. Unfortunately the gui has a lot way to go yet and some things might not work as you expected - patience. Another thing to watch out: if you want to use direct connect as "active" (which is really the big point of P2P, and enables the best features) behind a firewall you should:
1) open a port quite high not to require root access (the default 437 is root accessable only) and open NAT for quite some of them. Every hub you join starts a new dctc instance with ports starting at your default and increasing (I use 4321 and have opened NAT up to 4331, hence having the ability to join and actively search/download from 10 hubs simultaneously)
Another implementation (dc-gui, uses qt3) is better on the graphics part but does not use dctc so the actual *hot* features are not that "powerful".
Others exist too (a couple of java ones, an ncurses front-end to dctc etc.) but everything seems to lack a point that others have, so it's a matter of what feature you need most to make choices here.
The author of the original direct connect client (currently a windows app) promised that the version 2 of his app will be available for linux too since he noticed a lot of demand. Personaly I've learned not to take porting promises too seriously...
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KiTaSuMbA wrote:

The author of the original direct connect client (currently a windows app) promised that the version 2 of his app will be available for linux too since he noticed a lot of demand. Personaly I've learned not to take porting promises too seriously...

Pay no attention to what Jon Hess says, I have spoken to him through email several times and he has yet to implement any of the suggestions I made after saying he would do so over a year ago.

--Oh and if you use the windows version and dislike the large banner ad I wrote a small vb application that takes care of that among doing a few other things.

Always nice to have some Optionz
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:16 pm    Post subject: heh... Reply with quote

As I said, never take porting promises too seriously... :lol:
BTW, nice anti-banner goodie but I stick to the dctc since I do other things on my pc while file sharing .
<MS bashing>
It aches me enough having to reboot to make music, I don't need more reasons to do it! :twisted:
</MS bashing>
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2002 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I submitted updated ebuilds to dctc and dc-gui several days ago, guess they will make it into portage by the time dctc is updated again :lol:
STiAT
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am using lopster, and i like it! It's great, the best one i ever found
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

STiAT wrote:
i am using lopster, and i like it! It's great, the best one i ever found

I've never heard of this one before, but it looks like it uses the OpenNap network. I thought that was coming into legal trouble. What's the legal status of OpenNap? Lopster's site says that it's a client for sharing 'mp3 files' and doesn't mention other stuff, so I'm a little curious.
therobot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard lopster was the worst one out there. Use Soulseek dudes.
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

therobot wrote:
I heard lopster was the worst one out there. Use Soulseek dudes.

First off Soulseek is a windows program, second how can something that uses 20+ megs of ram be that great, third it doesn't even do multi-threaded downloads which IMO is one of the most important things in a filesharing application.

.: Gnutella is 100 times the program if you speaking of a windows application.

Edit: Sorry about the above rant, but you should have posted a link to the python client.
therobot
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu Jul 18, 2002 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh, no prob, I was too lazy to put that in there, and i already put it up somewhere else around here(once again, to lazy to point to it) :D
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:D
Larde
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 19, 2002 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd give another vote for lopster. The 1.0.1.20020702 ebuild runs rather stable here, and you can connect to both opennap networks and WinMX network with it. It's really easy to use, and you'll be able to download chunks for a file from different sources just like in edonkey.
WarMachine
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

The only way for p2p networks to be successful is if enough people share their files. Otherwise, the whole thing falls apart. For those of you with cable modems and DSL connections (which should be most of us if we're using Gentoo), why not leave your p2p apps open even when you're not actively using them?

--kurt

Why not:
a. 25k/s upload cap on my DSL.
Just because I'm not on it doesn't mean others in the house aren't. They, too like gaming and downloading files and I hear about it if they're not pinging 20 and downloading at the full 1.5 megabits.
b. Monitoring
The RIAA hires companies to download files from people and report them to ISP's with time, date, and IP logs. ISP's don't want to have to deal with you so they send you a letter saying quit now. Who knows if those files are legal or not, but because you're transferring them in a way that *could* be illegitimate you will be reported. Big upload totals will also get you "red flagged".

So that's why I don't allow uploads: to save my time (not hear complaining if I'm not there, not have to wait forever for pages or files if I am) and to stay clear of extra monitoring by my ISP and to not deal with RIAA nazi's.
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WarMachine wrote:
So that's why I don't allow uploads: to save my time (not hear complaining if I'm not there, not have to wait forever for pages or files if I am) and to stay clear of extra monitoring by my ISP and to not deal with RIAA nazi's.

That's your opinion and I respect that. However, I completely disagree with it. IMO, you should at least allow uploads while you're actively using the client. I, for one, disconnect anyone and everyone that doesn't have their files shared out. It's called a "peer to peer" network, not a "peer to leech" network.

As for the RIAA argument, they're supposedly (if you believe the news reports) also posting files for download that are obviously copyright-protected, keeping track of who downloads them and firing off letters to their ISPs, so you aren't protected from that simply by not allowing uploads.

--kurt
metalhedd
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't allow uploads because my ISP Has a 1 GB/Month upload limit and I've recieved my 2nd warning, next time my connection gets taken away. :(
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

metalhedd wrote:
I don't allow uploads because my ISP Has a 1 GB/Month upload limit and I've recieved my 2nd warning, next time my connection gets taken away. :(

Lol I upload that much in one night.
klieber
Administrator
Administrator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 20, 2002 11:38 pm    Post subject: General Direct Connect questions Reply with quote

OK, so based on AutoBot's rantings and ravings about Direct Connect, I set it up over the last couple of days. Here are some impressions, comments and questions:

First Impressions:
  • This network rocks. It takes the best of Kazaa and IRC and morphs them together.
  • The Linux server piece (dchub) is pretty solid and feature-rich.
  • The linux clients suck. I hope someone proves me wrong on this, but I haven't found a linux client worth a damn yet. I've been forced to use the Windows version... :(
  • There's very little documentation on google.

Questions:
  • Most of the hubs have specific DC++ rules. Some ban DC++ clients altogether, others place restrictions on them. Why? (What's the big deal?)
  • I keep seeing messages similar to, "kicked SoAndSo -- 100 hubs and 3 slots". I understand what a hub and slot are, but what does the ratio have to do with getting kicked? (I'm assuming these people are leeching somehow -- just not sure how)
  • Based on my comment about the linux clients, can anyone recommend a linux client that's on par with the windows one?

Thanks.

--kurt
KiTaSuMbA
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 21, 2002 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

answers from a regular dc-netizen:
-anti-DC++ rules: DC++ is a C++ open source windows-only (argh!!!) client for direct connect ( how dare they be on sourceforge and be win-only? :P ). The DC++ system allows a lot more stuff than the normal dc app, some of which are not "welcomed", e.g. you can fake shared dir sizes (also able to do so in dctc, but let's not tell them that :) ). Some people have auto-checks on their hubs to kick off anyone not giving the version answer neomodus' dc does instead of banning merely specific ones (I don't like it but it's their hub and have a right to do so), so it's not that strange to get kicked with a "no DC++ here!" reason (I once have argued with a hub admin, probably in early teens, to get the question-answer "so, what's linux?"!!!). Dctc, thankfully, provides the ability to fake a version too, so if you "need" to get in that hub you probably will.

-the slot/hub issue: it began as an antileacher policy. If you have 3 slots active but you are connected in some 50 hubs, well it's probably unlikely to be idle at any moment. The hub admins want their piece of the cake out of your shares, so you need to have some slots open for them. Another option (instead of a fixed ratio) is for the hubs to require a minimum of *available* slots (i.e. if you have 10 slots open and 9 occupied you need to open other 2 for a hub that would require 3 available). This can get very frustrating since you are not always there watching your p2p proggie and can get kicked out with no practical reason. In any case I don't mind since, given my "tiny" adsl (640/128), I cannot afford more than 3 slots whatsoever. This is where comes my personal rant: some people presume way too much out of your little desktop and your little internet connection. It maybe a surprise to a bunch of kids in the states that wouldn't even recognize a PSTN modem, but here in europe lines >1MBs cost serious money. Serious money cost also a bunch of hard disks to fill with stuff you normally keep on CDs: some hubs require >40GB shares while my entire diskspace, packed with 3 OSes and inumerous apps is less than 35. I'm sorry but I'm not going to dump my perfectly working 15 and 20 giggers for the joy of some teenager across the ocean, eager to grab anything that comes in hand regardless of use (I've seen people downloading from me utter crap, left about just to fill the GB requirments and very few go for the nice stuff).

-the linux clients: as I have commented before, there is no perfect linux dc client. Where one wins, another loses. On the networking capabilites the best choice is dctc but the available frontends (console, curses, gtk) are far from satisfying. I use dctc with dc_gui (erroneously reported as dc-gui in the portage tree) and live with its caprices. Lately there has been another frontend effort for dctc, based on the qt libs, dc-qt, but I haven't tried it. On the portage tree you will find the dc-qt package that actually refers to the *real* dc-gui: a client based on qt and using its own dclib, not dctc. While this client is far more practical in the matter of user interface and quite more stable than dc_gui, its own lib is quite less featureful than dctc. There are also a couple of java clients (available on sourceforge), I tried to install them some time ago in my slack but I got sick of trying to find out why my sun-JDK would not fit with them and quit. Java and myself have never been friends to tell you the truth :P
AutoBot
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Jul 22, 2002 5:58 pm    Post subject: Re: General Direct Connect questions Reply with quote

klieber wrote:
OK, so based on AutoBot's rantings and ravings about Direct Connect, I set it up over the last couple of days. Here are some impressions, comments and questions:

First Impressions:
  • This network rocks. It takes the best of Kazaa and IRC and morphs them together.
  • The Linux server piece (dchub) is pretty solid and feature-rich.
  • The linux clients suck. I hope someone proves me wrong on this, but I haven't found a linux client worth a damn yet. I've been forced to use the Windows version... :(
  • There's very little documentation on google.

Questions:
  • Most of the hubs have specific DC++ rules. Some ban DC++ clients altogether, others place restrictions on them. Why? (What's the big deal?)
  • I keep seeing messages similar to, "kicked SoAndSo -- 100 hubs and 3 slots". I understand what a hub and slot are, but what does the ratio have to do with getting kicked? (I'm assuming these people are leeching somehow -- just not sure how)
  • Based on my comment about the linux clients, can anyone recommend a linux client that's on par with the windows one?

Thanks.

--kurt

Well dcplusplus is a great windows client but is bad for the network, when you see H:100 and only S:3 that means this person is in 100 hubs with only 3 slots shared. I mean say each hub only had 100 people in it thats 100 x 100 = 10000 users and 3 slots, what are your chances of actually downloading something from this person..3 in 10000. Direct Connect was not designed to work in this mannor, it was designed to be more personal than anything else currently available, sort of a place to hang out and share things of common interest. But now every hub just seems dead to the world with the main chat window rarely being used at all, things were better before dcplusplus came along and somewhat ruined the whole feel of Direct Connect, but if there is a file you want dc still is the best way to obtain what your looking for.

.: klieber, Jon Hess (creator of Direct Connect) is supposedly working on Mac and Linux versions of his application.
billatq
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using lopster as of lately, although I tried gnutella for a bit and loved audiogalaxy when it still worked. One problem though--the ebuild fails when I try to upgrade to the newer one and I can't figure out why. Perhaps there is a use variable I need to specify?

As for dc_gui--I don't think the user interface is horribly bad, though it is pretty buggy. ;)
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billatq wrote:
I've been using lopster as of lately, although I tried gnutella for a bit and loved audiogalaxy when it still worked. One problem though--the ebuild fails when I try to upgrade to the newer one and I can't figure out why. Perhaps there is a use variable I need to specify?

As for dc_gui--I don't think the user interface is horribly bad, though it is pretty buggy. ;)

There's no USE variable for that progam. You can always check the file /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc if you are not sure. What is the actual error message that you are getting?
billatq
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Towards the end, this is what I get:

Code:

aclocal: m4/codeset.m4: 11: duplicated macro `AM_LANGINFO_CODESET'
aclocal: m4/gettext.m4: 57: duplicated macro `AM_GNU_GETTEXT'
aclocal: m4/gettext.m4: 294: duplicated macro `AM_PO_SUBDIRS'
aclocal: m4/gettext.m4: 468: duplicated macro `AM_INTL_SUBDIR'
aclocal: m4/gettext.m4: 528: duplicated macro `AM_MKINSTALLDIRS'
aclocal: m4/glibc21.m4: 12: duplicated macro `jm_GLIBC21'
aclocal: m4/iconv.m4: 11: duplicated macro `AM_ICONV_LINK'
aclocal: m4/iconv.m4: 70: duplicated macro `AM_ICONV'
aclocal: m4/isc-posix.m4: 19: duplicated macro `AC_ISC_POSIX'
aclocal: m4/lcmessage.m4: 23: duplicated macro `AM_LC_MESSAGES'
aclocal: m4/lib-ld.m4: 14: duplicated macro `AC_LIB_PROG_LD_GNU'
aclocal: m4/lib-ld.m4: 26: duplicated macro `AC_LIB_PROG_LD'
aclocal: m4/lib-link.m4: 15: duplicated macro `AC_LIB_LINKFLAGS'
aclocal: m4/lib-link.m4: 49: duplicated macro `AC_LIB_HAVE_LINKFLAGS'
aclocal: m4/lib-link.m4: 97: duplicated macro `AC_LIB_RPATH'
aclocal: m4/lib-link.m4: 124: duplicated macro `AC_LIB_LINKFLAGS_BODY'
aclocal: m4/lib-link.m4: 506: duplicated macro `AC_LIB_APPENDTOVAR'
aclocal: m4/lib-prefix.m4: 17: duplicated macro `AC_LIB_PREFIX'
aclocal: m4/lib-prefix.m4: 116: duplicated macro `AC_LIB_PREPARE_PREFIX'
aclocal: m4/lib-prefix.m4: 139: duplicated macro `AC_LIB_WITH_FINAL_PREFIX'
aclocal: m4/progtest.m4: 25: duplicated macro `AM_PATH_PROG_WITH_TEST'
make: *** [aclocal.m4] Error 1
cd . && aclocal -I m4
aclocal: m4/codeset.m4: 11: duplicated macro `AM_LANGINFO_CODESET'
aclocal: m4/gettext.m4: 57: duplicated macro `AM_GNU_GETTEXT'
aclocal: m4/gettext.m4: 294: duplicated macro `AM_PO_SUBDIRS'
aclocal: m4/gettext.m4: 468: duplicated macro `AM_INTL_SUBDIR'
aclocal: m4/gettext.m4: 528: duplicated macro `AM_MKINSTALLDIRS'
aclocal: m4/glibc21.m4: 12: duplicated macro `jm_GLIBC21'
aclocal: m4/iconv.m4: 11: duplicated macro `AM_ICONV_LINK'
aclocal: m4/iconv.m4: 70: duplicated macro `AM_ICONV'
aclocal: m4/isc-posix.m4: 19: duplicated macro `AC_ISC_POSIX'
aclocal: m4/lcmessage.m4: 23: duplicated macro `AM_LC_MESSAGES'
aclocal: m4/lib-ld.m4: 14: duplicated macro `AC_LIB_PROG_LD_GNU'
aclocal: m4/lib-ld.m4: 26: duplicated macro `AC_LIB_PROG_LD'
aclocal: m4/lib-link.m4: 15: duplicated macro `AC_LIB_LINKFLAGS'
aclocal: m4/lib-link.m4: 49: duplicated macro `AC_LIB_HAVE_LINKFLAGS'
aclocal: m4/lib-link.m4: 97: duplicated macro `AC_LIB_RPATH'
aclocal: m4/lib-link.m4: 124: duplicated macro `AC_LIB_LINKFLAGS_BODY'
aclocal: m4/lib-link.m4: 506: duplicated macro `AC_LIB_APPENDTOVAR'
aclocal: m4/lib-prefix.m4: 17: duplicated macro `AC_LIB_PREFIX'
aclocal: m4/lib-prefix.m4: 116: duplicated macro `AC_LIB_PREPARE_PREFIX'
aclocal: m4/lib-prefix.m4: 139: duplicated macro `AC_LIB_WITH_FINAL_PREFIX'
aclocal: m4/progtest.m4: 25: duplicated macro `AM_PATH_PROG_WITH_TEST'
make: *** [aclocal.m4] Error 1

!!! ERROR: The ebuild did not complete successfully.
!!! Function src_compile, Line -111, Exitcode 2
!!! (no error message)

!!! emerge aborting on  /usr/portage/net-p2p/lopster/lopster-1.0.1.20020702.ebuild .
masseya
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which version of gcc are you using and what are your compile flags?
gsfgf
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Aug 02, 2002 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use grokster. On windoze. I can't upload b/c smb slows the crap out of my gentoo box where my files are stored. is there a way to fix this? I see no difference when i am writing to the gentoo box, just reading from.
TheWizard
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too want to add my grant on dc...

I have a tiny u/l on my ADSLame - 6.4KBps (64KBps d/l; a 0.5/64 line) witch hardly suffice for even one slot. I do have one slot and about 6 GB's to share. despite that, because of the 1 slot (well, I think it's one anyway) or mybe the poor speed people get from me (when thay do get, whitch is almost not at all) I get kicked all the time!!! so I reckon I hate it, and for a very good reson.

why can't people understand that not everyone has fast lines (fast u/l's specialy).

today (finally!) I've unmerged it and I'm now just finished emerging lopster... let's see how that goes :roll:

have a nice day.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: