mythfrontend shuts down X [solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gigli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 1:54 am    Post subject: mythfrontend shuts down X [solved] Reply with quote

Hi
I will give this a last try. I have had mythtv installed on a gentoo box for about 6 month, it worked perfect. But after that every time i shut down mythfrontend, which i only used to edit my recordings, shuts down X. The screen gets black. I cannot use any keyboard combinations to get another shell, to restart or nothing. Added to this was nuvexport segfaulting. I then tried Debian, it worked perfect, but not with my new card, i then tried xubuntu, it worked perfect, but i always miss gentoo. So i did a reinstallation for the second time, but it's the same. Does anyone know about this problem and have a solution for it? I would certainly be happy. It seemed then it was a bug in the qt3 library, i don't know is tis is for real anymore. But i sure have the same problems. I have searched the internet and this forum with no luck. Maybe because my english is bad and i don't know how to describe it in a good manner. :D

Anyone who could either help or maybe have another distro that i should try.

Martin

[solved]

This is quite embarrasing. I tried Gentoo agan ia couple of times, all with the same error. Than i used Xubuntu, it worked perfect but i missed Gentoo so i did a last try with the same result. But when i checked the Xorg log i saw an error about DRI. The solution was simply. Sometimes before when i had random X locks i took a xorg.conf from an Ubuntu installation i have had before, there was section:

Quote:
Section "dri"
Mode 0666
EndSection

Since i backed up my /etc and reused some of my config files the faulty xorg.conf was the problem at hand every time i reinstalled. This was what killed my X session. I could do whatever i wanted and X was allright, but when i fired up mythfrontend and shut it down it killed X. So now its working perfect and i am truly happy about that, and a little ashamed about my misstake. :D

Martin

Last edited by gigli on Sat May 19, 2007 3:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
dreadhead
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

what gives mythfrontend in the logfile when shutting down? Any issues in Xorg.0.log?
gigli
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:16 am    Post subject: mythfrontend shuts down X Reply with quote

No nothing. I checked all my logs, and nothing. I will try something else until gentoo are back on tracks. I'll miss it every day, but i must have the opportunity to work with her. I can't here. Thanks for the help.
Hobbes-X
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: mythfrontend shuts down X Reply with quote

gigli wrote:
No nothing. I checked all my logs, and nothing. I will try something else until gentoo are back on tracks. I'll miss it every day, but i must have the opportunity to work with her. I can't here. Thanks for the help.

I'm not familiar with this problem exactly, but any time I've had myth cause a hard lockup, it was due to a hardware/driver problem. If you could get mythbackend to record a show, and only mythfrontend caused the lockup, I'd suspect a display driver issue first. If it's any other cause besides hardware, it would normally be in user-space and you would be able to swap to another shell...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: