Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Firefox & Evolution-2.8 make X go to 100% CPU usage?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
draconis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Firefox & Evolution-2.8 make X go to 100% CPU usage? Reply with quote

I've had Evolution, KDE and everything else I use running beautifully on my laptop for months now, but after a round of updates last night, starting Evolution shoves X's CPU usage to 100% and stays there. I'm clueless on where to start troubleshooting this. I'm using the latest versions of KDE, X, and Evolution on the Suspend2 kernel. No other applications seem to have this behavior. Any ideas on what may be causing this would be GREATLY appreciated.

This may belong under "unsupported software", but searching yielded many more posts for evolution in here. Mods, feel free to move it if I stuck this in the wrong place :)

Last edited by draconis on Thu May 03, 2007 11:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
draconis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I noticed today that running Firefox yields the same result. I generally use Opera (which is fine) so I haven't noticed that. Any ideas on what Firefox and Evolution are asking of X that Opera wouldn't be? Or how to even go about finding the correlation?
RobH
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 12:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem (with Firefox) after many of the X components were updated earlier this week. It made my laptop frustratingly slow with X chewing up to 100% of CPU time. I don't quite know what fixed it, but I discovered when I did emerge -av xorg-x11 yesterday, that xorg-x11 wasn't in my world file (something to do with the change in the meta packages a few months ago when X became modular). This emerge command caused mesa-progs to be updated. I also did a xorgconfig. One of these two things seemed to fix my problem because it's fine again today.
draconis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wondering if it's a bug within Xorg 7.2. I'm pretty sure that was in my latest round of updates since 7.2 went stable on april 29th (i think). Maybe time to hit the bugzilla... anyone else experiencing anything like this?
wendall911
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Portage issue... Reply with quote

I can confirm this as an issue. Portage is missing a bunch of updates (as per usual). Anyhow, to partially fix the rendering issues, I issued the following:

Code:

#emerge -uD xorg-x11 mesa

It's still a bit annoyingly slow, but at least doesn't eat up the cpu at 100% utilization and take several seconds to render a page.

Wendall
xavier10
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have come across the very same issue with firefox since a couple of weeks. The main symptom is firefox lags whenever I do something (switch to another tab, click on a link) and the fan of my macbook pro starts whenever I browse the internet (which had not hapened since I got the machine in the first place!).

Two things were updated:
- firefox from 2.0.0.2 to 2.0.0.3 last month (I though this was the issue before I saw this thread);
- xorg... now I believe this might be the problem.

Here is my emerge info:
Code:
Portage 2.1.2.2 (default-linux/x86/2006.1, gcc-4.1.1, glibc-2.5-r2, 2.6.17.13-mactel i686)
=================================================================
System uname: 2.6.17.13-mactel i686 Genuine Intel(R) CPU           T2600  @ 2.16GHz
Gentoo Base System release 1.12.9
Timestamp of tree: Fri, 11 May 2007 12:30:01 +0000
dev-java/java-config: 1.3.7, 2.0.31
dev-lang/python:     2.4.4
dev-python/pycrypto: 2.0.1-r5
sys-apps/sandbox:    1.2.17
sys-devel/autoconf:  2.13, 2.61
sys-devel/automake:  1.4_p6, 1.5, 1.6.3, 1.7.9-r1, 1.8.5-r3, 1.9.6-r2, 1.10
sys-devel/binutils:  2.16.1-r3
sys-devel/gcc-config: 1.3.16
sys-devel/libtool:   1.5.22
virtual/os-headers:  2.6.17-r2
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="x86"
AUTOCLEAN="yes"
CBUILD="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CFLAGS="-march=i686 -O2 -pipe"
CHOST="i686-pc-linux-gnu"
CONFIG_PROTECT="/etc /usr/kde/3.5/env /usr/kde/3.5/share/config /usr/kde/3.5/shutdown /usr/share/X11/xkb /usr/share/config"
CONFIG_PROTECT_MASK="/etc/env.d /etc/env.d/java/ /etc/gconf /etc/java-config/vms/ /etc/revdep-rebuild /etc/terminfo /etc/texmf/web2c"
CXXFLAGS="-march=i686 -O2 -pipe"
DISTDIR="/usr/portage/distfiles"
FEATURES="distlocks metadata-transfer sandbox sfperms strict"
GENTOO_MIRRORS="http://distfiles.gentoo.org http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/distributions/gentoo"
LINGUAS="fr en"
PKGDIR="/usr/portage/packages"
PORTAGE_RSYNC_OPTS="--recursive --links --safe-links --perms --times --compress --force --whole-file --delete --delete-after --stats --timeout=180 --exclude=/distfiles --exclude=/local --exclude=/packages --filter=H_**/files/digest-*"
PORTAGE_TMPDIR="/var/tmp"
PORTDIR="/usr/portage"
SYNC="rsync://rsync.gentoo.org/gentoo-portage"
USE="X aac acpi alsa apm berkdb bitmap-fonts cdparanoia cdr cli cracklib crypt cups daap dri dvd dvdr emacs encode exif firefox flac foomaticdb fortran gdbm gpm gstreamer gtk gtk2 iconv imagemagick ipod ipv6 isdnlog jpeg jpeg2k kde latex lcms leim libg++ lm_sensors mad madwifi midi mp3 ncurses nls nptl nptlonly ocaml opengl pam pcre pdf perl png ppds pppd python qt readline reflection sdl session spl ssl tcltk tcpd tiff truetype truetype-fonts type1-fonts unicode usb vorbis x86 xine xinerama xorg xscreensaver zlib" ALSA_CARDS="ali5451 als4000 atiixp atiixp-modem bt87x ca0106 cmipci emu10k1 emu10k1x ens1370 ens1371 es1938 es1968 fm801 hda-intel intel8x0 intel8x0m maestro3 trident usb-audio via82xx via82xx-modem ymfpci" ALSA_PCM_PLUGINS="adpcm alaw asym copy dmix dshare dsnoop empty extplug file hooks iec958 ioplug ladspa lfloat linear meter mulaw multi null plug rate route share shm softvol" ELIBC="glibc" INPUT_DEVICES="mouse synaptics keyboard" KERNEL="linux" LCD_DEVICES="bayrad cfontz cfontz633 glk hd44780 lb216 lcdm001 mtxorb ncurses text" LINGUAS="fr en" USERLAND="GNU" VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx radeon vesa"
Unset:  CTARGET, EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS, INSTALL_MASK, LANG, LC_ALL, LDFLAGS, MAKEOPTS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS, PORTAGE_COMPRESS_FLAGS, PORTAGE_RSYNC_EXTRA_OPTS, PORTDIR_OVERLAY

I would love to go back to the previous situation. In the meantime, I am considering switching to opera (probably not a bad thing...)!
xavier10
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trying out opera seems to give the same result. I guess there is indeed a problem with xorg, which impacts mainly web browsing (I noticed my X server would sometimes take quite a bit of CPU, with no reason and that may not be related to web browsing only --- the thing is that web browser apparently show the problem more easily).
ferg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: gnome-settings-daemon Reply with quote

Hi,

just to add some symptoms, since I upgraded to Gnome 2.6.18, I cannot start Gnome. It hangs and a process called gnome-settings-daemon pegs a CPU at 100%. I switched to E17 (I alternate between the two), and this is fine. However, when I start some Gnome apps (some, not all), that start gnome-settings-daemon, then the same appens, and I have to kill the process. Rhythmbox is a culprit, Evolution isn't.

Not had time to solve the problem yet.

Cheers
Ferg
draconis
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xorg-x11 had been removed from my world file, but re-emerging it and its related packages had no effect on xorg cpu usage. Still looking for ideas :(
ferg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2007 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

my problem starts whenever I start an application which starts Gnome-Settings-Daemon.

Still completely flumoxed as to why!

Cheers
Ferg
nske
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 3:42 pm    Post subject: [solved] Reply with quote

Exactly same problem with ferg here. Nothing is printed by gnome-settings-daemon in stdout/stderr.

The problem showed after I upgraded gnome-* to 2.6.18 but persists after downgrading back to 2.6.16.

[EDIT:]did revdep-rebuild and it was fixed, as it turns out it was a problem with gnome-keyboard-applet that caused gnome-settings-daemon to hang.

Last edited by nske on Thu May 31, 2007 4:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
ferg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

I did solve the problem, but you might not like my solution. I simply deleted the gnome-settings-daemon executable. Settings cannot now be changed, but at least Gnome is useable. You might want to simply rename the executable instead :-)

Ahh, you did solve the problem. revdeprebuild does nowt for me though :-(

Cheers
Ferg
nske
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are right, I meant it worked after I had downgraded to gnome-2.6.16.

I tried again today with 2.6.18. I run "strace /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon" and saw many references to libclearlooks.so looping over and over, so I thought perhaps it had something to do with that particular theme.. I used gtk-chtheme to define some other gtk theme, and problem disappeared! :)
ferg
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nske wrote:
You are right, I meant it worked after I had downgraded to gnome-2.6.16.

I tried again today with 2.6.18. I run "strace /usr/libexec/gnome-settings-daemon" and saw many references to libclearlooks.so looping over and over, so I thought perhaps it had something to do with that particular theme.. I used gtk-chtheme to define some other gtk theme, and problem disappeared! :)

Nice one! A great piece of detective work. I'll try that straight away. Thanks!!!

Cheers
Ferg
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: