Got gentoo running, but some minor problems and questions
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spazntwich
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 3:57 am    Post subject: Got gentoo running, but some minor problems and questions Reply with quote

I've got to say I LOVE the way gentoo is set up. I got my system ALMOST successfully running, but I've run into some stumbling blocks I hope you all can help me overcome.

When I first compiled my kernel, I forgot to enable DevFS support (stupid!). Now, upon booting, I imediately recompiled my kernel, copied it over my kernel without DevFS support, but when I rebooted it still told me I hadn't compiled in DevFS support. I know when using lilo, if you don't run lilo after you put in a new kernel, it won't read it. Is there something special I have to do with grub to get it to recognice my new kernel?

I want to use KDE 3 as my primary window manager, but I've come to understand it breaks binary compatibility with KDE 2.x apps. Does this mean I'm going to need to emerge KDE 2 to be able to run older applications too?

One final question. I'm about to just emerge X and kde before I go to bed. To stack commands, I just need to seperate them with a &&, right? i.e. emerge foo && emerge fee && etc.

Any help will be appreciated!
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Did you remember to mount /boot before you copied your kernel over again?

2. No; Portage is smart enough to accomodate KDE2-specific apps. It will grab and install the KDE 2 libs automatically if needed.

3. && stops the whole process if one of the commands fails, which is useful in this case. You could have just done "emerge x kde foo fee", too...
Spazntwich
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

delta407 wrote:
1. Did you remember to mount /boot before you copied your kernel over again?

Oops.

Quote:
2. No; Portage is smart enough to accomodate KDE2-specific apps. It will grab and install the KDE 2 libs automatically if needed.

Cool!

Quote:
3. && stops the whole process if one of the commands fails, which is useful in this case. You could have just done "emerge x kde foo fee", too...

Once again, cool!

Thanks for putting up with my general newbieness. I PROMISE I've been using linux for a while. The thing is, I've been using Mandrake, and it's held my hand so well I have yet to become familiar with the grittier details of Linux.
delta407
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 4:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the nice thing about Gentoo is it lets you at the guts of Linux without necessarily giving you the grits. (Hence, the auto-using of KDE2 libs, etc.)

Welcome to Gentoo; have a nice stay. :D
citizen428
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wouldn't "emerge kde" install X too? I mean X is a dependancy for KDE, so it should be solved by portage.
klieber
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

citizen428 wrote:
Wouldn't "emerge kde" install X too?

Yes.

--kurt
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: