View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
furanku
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 8:10 pm    Post subject: Strange X problems ater upgrading baselayout Reply with quote

Hi!

After a bit experimenting with the live-ebuilds of kde-cvs (incl. emerge qt-copy), an emerge of alsa-driver, xmms doesn't work anymore, just crashed without an errormessage. Same for noatun, kabadoodle still works.

Today I emergeded baselayout. Now KDE 3.1.2 doesn't start anymore. The "Initializing.." icon (the second) keeps blinking for 2 minutes and it ends up in an empty desktop. Any kde application started from twm don't show up, no error message. Mozilla freezes when I type the first key, but just using the mouse I can browse. Plain X apps like xedit work. I'm writing this from opera wich works also.

Just heared from someone else on gentoo-user with the same problems after emerging baselayout.

Any ideas?

Frank
ralph
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

try emerge rsync again and emerge baselayout. i had the same problem but now theres a new version of baselayout that works like a charm.
furanku
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks!

It works again. As I'ld always like to learn something new: Do you know what happened?

Frank
dob
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow that was weird!
Apparently it is related to bug #21376
But why would not starting the internet connection make moz / firebird crash when using the keyboard? Also kde hanged when starting after I logged out / relogged.
furanku
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2003 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, due to the client-server achitecture of X I can imagine that a lot of strange things will happen if the network is misconfigured. And KDE uses a own communication protocoll for the applications (DCOP), which I think is based on some features of X11's network capabilties.

But, it's really strange, since my internet connection worked fine all the time (Thank God, otherwise I would be still searching...).

I guess that's from time to time the price you have to pay to be always on the bleeding edge with Gentoo. A repaired package was available within 24 hours, and a member of this forum knews that emerging that will fix the bug. So for me that's a "succesfull failure" :) !

Thanks again,
Frank
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: