sys-apps/baselayout-2 alpha1 released
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:28 pm    Post subject: sys-apps/baselayout-2 alpha1 released Reply with quote

Read the announcement over at http://planet.gentoo.org/

Here is a snippet
Quote:
Just after it went into portage, vapier twisted my arm into changing from GNU style C to LKML style C. I didn't really have a preference, so it's been changed. So if you do cut a patch for us, please base it on our svn repo! Eye-wink

And now the changelong

I might spend this afternoon / evening moving it it, or I might wait until it hits beta ... I haven't decided yet :)
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I finally got around to trying it out, and it works nicely, not sure if the system boots up any faster as i didn't run any benchmarks before hand, but it does seem to get to a prompt a little faster.

I had 3 problems

1) the xdm init.d script required an upgrade to the ~ version of xinit (1.03-r3)
2) slpd -- needed for bluetooth, doesn't start ... I haven't looked into it b/c I don't use bluetooth a log, I could acutally problably take it out of my default startup
3) I get some thing about dm-script.??.sh is not found. I don't se dm-crypt so this isn't an issue, and I haven't looked into it any further. EDIT: found this bug 174424

I just installed it maybe 5 mintues ago and have rebooted a few times, and everything seems good.
kostja
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi!

Tried it out and switched back to 1.12.9.
Had problems with route and modules in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 didn't load.

Kind regards
Konstantin
Registered Linux User #356484
loki_val
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kostja wrote:
modules in /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 didn't load.
This is fixed in alpha2
sternklang
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alpha2 has other problems -- if you are running anything device-mapper related (lvm, dm-crypt, dmraid) alpha2 will break it. Apparently the baselayout devs now require new initscripts to handle device-mapper filesystems with alpha2. Test versions of some of these initscripts have been posted -- search bugzilla for baselayout if you are having device-mapper problems.
Paapaa
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How stable alpha2 is in a very simple amd64 setup? I don't use LVM, Raid, or anything "out of orninary".
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am using on a amd64 keyworded system, and it works great, no problems, and the init process is a bit faster.

I had a few problems with alpha1 that I had to fix manually, but it seems all of those were fixed in alpha2

I still get an error message about dm-scrypt... something and about spdp dying, Not sure what the first one is about, but the second one is my bluetooth which I want to remove from init anyways b/c I barely use it.
pca
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running ~x86 and it seems like my networking scripts have vanished. Not really a problem, since dhclient eth0 brings it up, but a bit annoying as ntpdate can no longer sync.

EDIT: I'm using alpha2.
Insanity5902
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2007 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if net.eth0 isn't inside, /etc/init.d/ just do a symlink to net.lo and see if that fixes it. You might have to edit /etc/conf.d/net to have it use your flavor or dhcp client.
UberLord
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, we no longer ship net.eth0 because eth0 may or may not exist. lo always exists in linux :)
Belliash
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

latest RC fails on checkroot (reiser4)... :(
CrimsonKing
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm also experiencing the failure on checkroot with reiser4.
It segfaults if I run it from the shell, but I sure can't tell why.
Seems to return okay, and everything runs okay... just segfaults anyway.
Dirk.R.Gently
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 17, 2007 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Gentoo Newsletter remarks that baselayout-2 has been moved to ~, and that some new init-scripts will need to be put into the run-level, but it fails to mention just what scripts those are. What scripts are those and where can I get more information?
dolbyn
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Problem with parellel boot inside qemu-system-arm Reply with quote

I tried this on a arm system I am slowly working on inside inside qemu-system-boot with the root file system mounted on an nfs share. The hardware clock emulation in qemu is broken so the clock is set to 1st January 1970 until i run ntp-client

good news it works nice and fast - so i tried to be clever and enable parallel booting and then i ran into a problem - see screenshot at...

http://www.imagedump.com/index.cgi?pick=get&tp=512633

...where various services failed ot load deptree. When i turn of fthe parallel running it seems to work ok - thought it does seem to print caching service dependancies a great deal - i would expecte it to cache dependancies maybe just once and then only if they changed...

My instinct is that its trying to save the dependancy info and failing, and that while this is being handeled gracefully in the serial flow ( it just recreates the data ) , that its failing in the parallel flow.

If that theory is right do i need to emerge a new module or create a directory ? and if that theory is wrong does anyone have any suggestions?
skally
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I may want to try baselayout-2, too, but...

1. Why does it depend on MAKEDEV?

2. Are the 'major ebuild and installation changes' that my package.mask talks about still ongoing?
JohnN
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:22 am    Post subject: device-mapper init script Reply with quote

So, if baselayout 2 is alpha, why does the latest device-mapper install an init.d/ script that says it's just for baselayout 2?? What do I do now?
JohnN
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: i get it.... Reply with quote

I think I get. device-mapper starts automatically in baselayout 1. Right?
mwoodiupui
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Re: device-mapper init script Reply with quote

JohnN wrote:
So, if baselayout 2 is alpha, why does the latest device-mapper install an init.d/ script that says it's just for baselayout 2?? What do I do now?

Ignore it until baselayout-2 is unleashed, I guess. I just ran into this one today. The system boots and runs anyway. It's unfortunate that the ebuild tells you to add the script to startup without checking whether it makes sense to do so. I guess a little noise was thought better than leaving a timebomb on lots of systems waiting to go off when baselayout-2 happens.

What gripes me most about this one is that the only reason I fiddled with device-mapper is that it was somehow blocking a udev update, which then informed me (after installing) that it wouldn't run on my kernel version. Ho, hum, build a newer kernel, cross fingers and hope that the scheduled reboot of this production system will not conk, then get nervous and back out the udev update so I'm only changing one thing at a time....
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: