custom initramfs: switch_root woes [Solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ramblurr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: custom initramfs: switch_root woes [Solved] Reply with quote

I'm implementing the dm-crypt w/ Luks disk encryption solution as outlined in this wiki entry. The problem might be unrelated to dm-crypt or Luks, so I figured it might help to open the issue up to a wider audience.

The unlocking and mounting is working fine, however when I get to the bit where I need to switch_root and execute the init that exists on my disk my system just sorta.. does nothing.

I enabled debugging (-x) for /bin/ash (i'm using busybox 1.2.2.1). And this is the output at the time it needs to switch:
Code:
+ exec switch_root /new-root /sbin/init

And that's it. I've tried a million things now. I thought it might be my /etc/conf.d/cryptfs or fstab, but those are both correct.
It simply freezes after switch_root'ing... the cursor still blinks, I can make new lines, and a few keys work. But Ctrl+z or c does nothing. ctrl+alt+del doesn't reset it. Alt+F#s doesn't change anything. My only option is to perform a hard reboot.

I've verified that the root system is actually mounted in /new-root and /sbin/init exists (/new-root/sbin/init) with correct permissions. Anyone think they might know what the issue is?

Last edited by Ramblurr on Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

didn't touch LUKS yet, but don't you usually use "pivot_root" to get change the root filesystem?

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
Ramblurr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought so too, but...

Quote:
You can't use pivot_root from rootfs because rootfs can't be moved or unmounted; switch_root is for initramfs, and pivot_root is for initrd.

and

Quote:
One point that was perhaps not made strongly enough is that pivoting is an initrd thing *only*. initrd and initramfs are separate things and work quite differently.

Others have sucessfully used switch_root. I am wondering if something is wrong with /sbin/init. I do have the latest version of sysvinit (in portage).

edit:

do I need to specify a '-c /dev/console' flag for switch_root? I thought it would use the current console. If the console was bad though I should get 'switch_root: bad console'
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ramblurr wrote:
do I need to specify a '-c /dev/console' flag for switch_root? I thought it would use the current console. If the console was bad though I should get 'switch_root: bad console'
Code:
/usr/share/genkernel/generic $ grep switch_ *
linuxrc:        exec switch_root -c "/dev/console" "${CHROOT}" ${REAL_INIT:-/sbin/init} ${INIT_OPTS}
It looks as though you do.
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
Ramblurr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got the Bad Console error.

Code:
exec switch_root -c /dev/console /new-root /sbin/init
switch_root: Bad console '/dev/console'
Kernel Panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!

I did create /dev/console in my initramfs with:

Code:
mknod --mode=0600 /path/to/build_initramfs/dev/console c 5 1

Is there another way to do this?

EDIT: Aha something! I downgraded busybox to version 1.1.2. I removed the -c /dev/console bit too.

Now after the exec switch_root line I get:
Code:
udevd-event[2311]: udev_node_mknod: mknod(/dev/bus/usb/001/001, 020664, 189, 0) failed: No such file or directory

Is this some sort of mknod incompatibility because of the downgrade, or is it having trouble finding the usb device?

Oh, and yes, I'm booting from a usb stick if I didn't mention that already.
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure I follow all that but I think the bad console error is because there is no /newroot/dev/console.

I think, if you look at genkernel's linuxrc, you will find that it creates several things under /dev before it runs switch_root.
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
Ramblurr
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I passed ichkpt=6 as a parameter then when I got the shell executed:
Code:
mknod /new-root/dev/console c 5 1

then 'exec switch_root -c /dev/console /new-root /sbin/init' worked fine.

Solved finally!
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: