Wireless Woes Sabayon 3.4
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anakist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Wireless Woes Sabayon 3.4 Reply with quote

As much as I hate to make a new thread I can't find a solution with google. I have an Acer Extensa 5620Z which has the Broadcomm 4311 card in it. Comes up as 14e4:4311 in lspci -n.

I can connect to my router using this:
http://wiki.sabayonlinux.org/index.php?title=Using_Broadcom_wireless_and_ndiswrapper_w/Sabayon_miniEd
Quote:
Information about the wireless interface should be displayed, under "wlan0"(mine is eth1). 6. Set the WEP key:
# iwconfig eth1 key restricted *my key*

7. Set the SSID:
# iwconfig eth1 essid *My ESSID*

8. Bring up the interface:
# dhclient eth1

That works and I am connected and going.

Quote:
After that, the wireless interface should connect to your wireless network, and you're good to go.

This doesn't happen. Knetworkmanager doesn't do a thing. If I manually set the wireless network up in Knetworkmanager, it makes it as far as "Activation Stage: Configuring Device 28%" and stalls for a while before stopping and either asking for my key, just disappearing, or not doing anything.

My router is a DSL-G604t running EU firmware (DSL-G624T) running WEP. It is a fresh install of Sabayon 3.4 mini but ran emerge --sync and glsa-check -f all from the sabayon tips page. I have been getting WPA_supplicant Admin GUI saying there is a problem with WPA_Supplicant, but today it is finding my network while the wireless is connected using above, but when I restart it says "Could not get status from wpa_supplicant".

Thanks.

James
MostAwesomeDude
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is Gentoo, not Sabayon.
Anakist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I know. Sabayon is made on gentoo. In all the things I have read it says to use gentoo commands and syntax.

James
MostAwesomeDude
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, Sabayon is based on Gentoo, but these forums are not for Sabayon support. I'll try to help anyway, though.

So, manually configuring the network works, but using NetworkManager doesn't? Is that the problem?
Anakist
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep thats it.

Thanks.

James
Dagger
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why to use gentoo clone when you can use gentoo??

anyway can you post some of your logs?
Code:

cat /var/log/messages | grep NetworkManager

also some other basic info would be usefull
Code:

uname -a
cat /etc/conf.d/net # <- i assume they copy gentoo baselayout too

bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moved from Networking & Security to Unsupported Software.

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
hirakendu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the broadcom wireless works fine only with ndiswrapper uptil kernel 2.6.22. just make sure that indeed its using ndiswrapper driver and not the bcm43xx kernel module (see 'lsmod | grep bcm'). if the bcm43xx module is loaded, the device uses this driver instead of ndiswrapper and doesn't connect. you can blacklist bcm43xx from autoloading by adding the line 'blacklist bcm43xx' in /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist and run 'update-modules' (and then either reboot or run 'modprobe -r bcm43xx', 'modprobe -r ndiswrapper', 'modprobe ndiswrapper'). Networkmanager runs just fine. I would suggest nm + knetworkmanager rather than using the gentoo networking scripts.
i would also suggest trying with different encryption schemes on your router. for safe, i would suggest wep instead of wpa and open system instead of shared key.

ps : i have seen that stereotype reply myriad times - that sabayon problems have no place in gentoo forums. okay in letter but not in spirit :). please treat the problem to its merit. sabayon IS gentoo except for useful minimal changes. problems in sabayon are most likely to be found in gentoo also and vice versa.
also please don't try to give an impression that all your problems will be solved if you use gentoo instead of any other distro. while thats 120% true (indeed, thanks to the gentoo developers, many of the things work flawlessly like magic for which one has to break their head in other distros), often it leads to disappointment for newcomers who expect way too much after making their machines toil for more than a day of emerges ;).
anyway, fortunately there is the unsupported section, and you can expect quite a lot here :).
wolfden
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hirakendu wrote:

ps : i have seen that stereotype reply myriad times - that sabayon problems have no place in gentoo forums. okay in letter but not in spirit :). please treat the problem to its merit. sabayon IS gentoo except for useful minimal changes. problems in sabayon are most likely to be found in gentoo also and vice versa.
also please don't try to give an impression that all your problems will be solved if you use gentoo instead of any other distro. while thats 120% true (indeed, thanks to the gentoo developers, many of the things work flawlessly like magic for which one has to break their head in other distros), often it leads to disappointment for newcomers who expect way too much after making their machines toil for more than a day of emerges ;).
anyway, fortunately there is the unsupported section, and you can expect quite a lot here :).

very well said, Sabayon views Gentoo as it's mom and with high respect. I don't understand why Gentoo has to cut it down. The claim of it's not pure gentoo is blah. Most people that use Gentoo have used an overlay or two in the their lifetime, otherwise the overlays wouldn't survive.

I do understand the problem with using overlays and support tho. The problems I have experienced are the same problems a Gentoo user experiences too. I myself depend more on portage than overlays so maybe that is why I experience similar issues. This concept of it's not Gentoo cause of the overlay doesn't work as many people use overlays regardless. I've even seen wild statements such as people complaining about the config files, it's the same config files as pure Gentoo, there just written to support everything instead of a tailored system. It's left up to the user to re-edit and build the system to them. Before anyone yells, yes I have installed and ran a Gentoo system for years. The two communities should be able to get along.
mjf55
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the question is still unresolved, I would say that as a former Sabayon user ( 3.4f ) I would NOT use networkmanager and have always advised against using it. This is / was a common source of problems in the Sabayon community. If you search the Sabayon community you can see this for yourself.

other editorial comments raised:
Why use Sabayon? Because they have an installer that works. I used it before I could install my own Gentoo system running.
Why leave Sayabon? Sabayon is bleeding edge uses ~x86 as default in make.conf. This caused me many upgrade problems. Baselayout2 and issues with 'must have programs' caused my system to break and I was not able to recover.
hirakendu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the wireless part. I personally have a dell 1390 wireless card which has a broadcom chip (bcm4311) and use gentoo with networkmanager backend and knetworkmanager frontend and it works fine. Hence the suggestion. Also for this wireless card, the bcm43xx driver from kernel not only does not work, it doesn't allow ndiswrapper to work when loaded.

PS : When using networkmanager, please disable gentoo's networking init scripts. I agree earlier versions of networkmanager etc might have been a bit flawed, may be a year ago. So if you haven't tried it since a long time, I am sure you'll have a pleasant experience this time. I have been using knetworkmanager since may 2007.

And even though I have used gentoo's init scripts for setting up network for a long time, right now it feels so caveman :D. Sure gentoo way is simple, but networkmanager is simpler. Problem is that i dont want to be sitting in an airport doing 'iwconfig', 'iwlist scan', and then editing '/etc/conf.d/net' and/or '/etc/wpa_supplicant/wpa_supplicant.conf', and doing '/etc/init.d/net.wlan0 restart'. And even after that, if its a tricky set up and you haven't dealt with it before, chances are you might not get it right the first time. So it requires a bit of experience.

And I must add that knetworkmanager also has occassional hiccups. I have so far just used only ipw3945 and bcm43xx chipsets. I have heard reports that its pretty sensitive to the make of the chip and driver too. Example, for ipw3945, the driver 1.2.0 works smooth, but 1.2.2 takes some time to connect and may be even multiple tries.

Also, most of the networkmanager related issues are not due it, but funnily due to the program that does the dhcp part - dhcdbd. Most of the connection issues happen in the last step - getting an ip address via dhcp even after connecting to the router. Fortunately, gentoo uses dhcpcd and its flawless.

And that brings to an interesting point. In spite of calling gentoo networking tools caveman, its the only thing that always works (when knetworkmanager doesnt sometimes ;))!
hirakendu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

About the Sabayon support issues. I must clarify that indeed unsupported section is the only place for sabayon issues. And most of the times moderators say it plain and simple. Unfortunately, sabayon users take this in a bad taste possibly because of their assumptions about 'unsupported' section that its possibly 2nd tier treatment, though its NOT. Many / most gentoo users keep lurking in this section.

And I say that its the only section thats politically correct for sabayon, because officially allowing them in regular sections will send a somewhat wrong message that sabayon is officially supported by gentoo. Of course we feel responsible for the gentoo part - and theoretically, should be happy to help about any program thats present both in sabayon and gentoo, hopefully unchanged. And we surely can't help about sabayon specific stuff like 'entropy' etc, and I haven't fortunately seen anyone do that either :). So all is good.

The only part I was suggesting was that Sabayon users (or any other distro users may be) in gentoo forums shouldn't be rudely told to 'stay away' or 'go away' or similar ;). It also sometimes heats up to the extent of aggressively marketing gentoo ;). Although advertising for gentoo is ok (though I personally don't even do that - in fact i dont even advertise for linux! just make things work ;)).
hirakendu
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(And another!)

Also, it is humanly impossible to convert a sabayon to gentoo and not worth the effort. And even if somebody can, I guess s/he has enough gentoo/linux skills to be better off starting pure gentoo way :D. It might be fun for an experience though for a gentoo predator. I have heard about installing THE latest sabayon and immediately doing 'emerge --sync' and 'emerge --update world' or similar may be, though I haven't tried the same and doubt that it will work.

What I am curious to know from sabayon users is that - is it possible to live an eternal life of smooth upgrades with sabayon (as you can with gentoo / debian). I doubt that its even easy to maintain a sabayon system for a new linux user with not much idea of gentoo tools and mechanism.

There is nothing wrong with '~x86' keyword. I have always used ~x86 ever since I started using gentoo. With 'x86' stable, you are sometimes left with 'debian stable' like system (which is more stable and consistent than debian of course) ;). The problem is not with ~x86 keyword in sabayon, but the enormous amount of changes they make to portage. Their use flags, profiles, overlays and what not.

Sabayon unchanged works like magic though.

(PS : Please don't take this as sabayon fud. Its just my own experiences.)
wolfden
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

World updates are no different than the pure gentoo - I do it all the time and only problems I run into are the same ones Gentoo runs into. Last run in I had was the portage and bash blockage, same as the rest of the gang. (32bit version)

Converting to "Gentoo" really isn't an issue either. I know people who are running out of both branches that run pure Gentoo.

Professional Edition is built on stable branch already and easily world update able too. I run the 64bit of that version too.

I agree that the Unsupported section is the only fair place to be.
kernelOfTruth
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Converting to "Gentoo" really isn't an issue either. I know people who are running out of both branches that run pure Gentoo.

++

running some apps of sabayon overlay & it works like a charm

Hardcore Gentoo Linux user since 2004 :D
Dagger
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly "average" user who is only seeking answers to his questions hardly ever visits unsupported software section :D Personally I treat this section as for a bit more hardcore users who wants bleeding edge systems. Lots of stuff which isn't in official portage can be found here. Also I presume you can get better support here than anywhere else.

but I think we went a bit off topic ;)

Anakist is there anything we can still help you with ?
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: