Some kind of RDP to manage my Windows Server from Gentoo
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KDawg44
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Some kind of RDP to manage my Windows Server from Gentoo Reply with quote

Hi,

I have recently started to get into Gentoo and Linux quite a bit. I have a gentoo server at home and a gentoo workstation. I have loaded Gentoo into VMWare and would like to run a lot of stuff from there (since I like gentoo and the way to learn is to use it), only using Windows if I absolutely have to.

That being said, is there a program that I can use like RDP so that I can manage my Windows 2003 server from within my Gentoo? I remember using VNC in the past, will that work for this application? Is there something better? Thanks a lot.
K-Dawg #44
I.T. Director
CCNA, ISA, MCSA, MCP, MCDST Certified

"We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act, but a habit." -- Aristotle

"Failure is not an option. It comes bundled with Windows."
--
wah
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jan 18, 2007 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
VNC will work, but the closest that I know of to RDP is rdesktop (and krdc on KDE). I use it at work daily to remote into my desktop (corporate box running XP, I login from my gentoo laptop). It works nicely, but lacks some of the features of the official windoze RDC.

HTH,
W.
- Registered Linux User #418541
radagast
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... rdesktop (or grdesktop or...) does have a few features the windows rdp client is lacking though. my favourite is that you can connect to the console on the remote machine.

and just today, i've followed the instructions here to get seamless windows - so instead of a "remote desktop" i just have remote applications. the way X11 has always done it.
it's working for me with Visual Studio, which will even happily launch IE when i click the build button. no longer are my windows(R) windows stuck in their own box...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: