Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Running Gentoo on a Kuro box in my VW Golf....
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hydraulix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 8:35 am    Post subject: Running Gentoo on a Kuro box in my VW Golf.... Reply with quote

Ok I'm just trying to get some information before I do this so bear with me.

I have space in the back of my 2002 VW Golf. It's for some cd changer but cd changers are retarded and I'd rather have a Mp3 server in the back. I'm thinking of using a Kuro box since it's cheap and it will run Linux but I'm also looking at the Mac mini. I want to use this server for playing Mp3's in my car using the car stereo, having wifi so I could access the internet at any hotspot from my car, GPS access, dvd playback (maybe) and if at all possible having the cars diagnostics up on screen (fuel, miles and any other information I can get about my car). I also want to hook it up to a touchscreen so I can see and control all of this madness. I don't know about having a keyboard since I don't think I would have the space for it. So my question is would all of this work under Linux? And how would I go about setting this up?

Also if anyone has any ideas or tips then post them up.:)
Redhatter
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geez... you don't want much do you? ;-)

Okay... I'm not sure what these "Kuro" boxes include, but one thing's for sure... unless you're very familiar with Linux/PPC or intend to run Mac OS X, I'd steer away from the Mac Mini. Being a more proprietry device, it may be harder to get compatable hardware (especially under Linux/PPC).

http://www.dashpc.com/ may be a useful resource. :-) The system there describes just about every feature you mention, with the exception IIRC of the diagnostics -- and I can't help you there either. But on that site, should give you clues as to how to proceed.

Gentoo/MIPS Cobalt developer, Mozilla herd member.
Hydraulix
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:lol:

I'm pretty familiar with Linux PPC. The Kuro box is a PPC based box that has a open source shell. Thanks for the link I will check that site out and keep this thread active until I complete my project. Then I will create a how to and tweak the thing some more.:D
Appleman1234
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Apr 12, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How are you going with project ?
The Kuroobox wiki has some Gentoo instructions / howtos.
MP3 Server is possible provided your stereo isn't stupid and can support stream in, alternatively you could buy a dongle that allows you to convert line out to stream in using cigarette lighter power and radio frequencies. (An acquaintance of mine had one for his Ipod).
Wifi should be fine, provided you can build it as a loadable module or your are not afraid to modify the kuroo box firmware (I suggest having serial or JTAG access in case of accidents).

GPS access and Touchscreen will depend on the hardware and its support in Linux PPC kernel. DVD playback can be done but is tricky, and requires the correct hardware. If I were you I setup the touchscreen as a seperate thin client (embedded box) with webinterface with mplayerplugin that would access apache on the Kuroo box.

Car diagnostics would depend on whether you were using manufacturer sensors or custom circuitry with provides the sensor information to sensors that are comptiable with lm_sensors or the Linux kernel.

Best of luck
abaxas
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the bad news but gentoo on the kurobox (ppc) or kurobox pro (arm) is not exactly mature.

Nice for a toy but not for running something your actually going to be using.

However d***** is stable, tested and works well. So if you want something to work, use that.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Alternative Architectures All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: