Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 2:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
Is there a reason why update -h config only shows results if update is in /sbin? I modified the script to replace /sbin/update with $(dirname $0)/$(basename $0) and it worked fine. :P

Hmm, it's kinda the same reason as dir is now /root/emerge instead of $HOME; uberpinguin said he wanted it more secure, for installs for end-users (his wife I think;) You should be able to use "$prog" instead of "$(basename $0)" anywhere in the script (including config file); it's set to ${0##*/} (we don't need basename in BASH usually; see http://wooledge.org:8000/BashFAQ/073 or /msg greybot basename on freenode.) Might be worth sticking that in a var at beginning of file so admin can override. kk config file, but have you looked at update -h config recently? It's getting silly man ;p
Quote:
By the way, I made an elementary zsh completion for update

That rocks ppurka, nice one :-) I might even try zsh when I get some timeout, just to see what that's like.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:
You should be able to use "$prog" instead of "$(basename $0)" anywhere in the script (including config file); it's set to ${0##*/}
Thanks. I think I will change that to simply $0 :P
If update is not in the $PATH, then simply using $prog will fail.
Quote:
kk config file, but have you looked at update -h config recently? It's getting silly man ;p
Actually, I wanted to see what was present in that help option. That was when I had to make the changes to the script :D
Quote:
That rocks ppurka, nice one :-) I might even try zsh when I get some timeout, just to see what that's like.
It is really good. I have zsh as my default shell, and I was primarily missing package name completions. Hence the _update file :D
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ppurka wrote:
Thanks. I think I will change that to simply $0 :P
If update is not in the $PATH, then simply using $prog will fail.

Heh, best check out http://wooledge.org/mywiki/BashFAQ/028
I was just pointing out that we're far more likely to use foo=${bar##*/} than foo=$(basename "$bar") in BASH and indeed POSIX SH nowadays; I understand basename can do a bit more, but it's not needed most of the time, and the parameter expansion is a lot quicker.
POSIX command-line API
Quote:
Hence the _update file :D

Heh, collaboration FTW :D
deefster
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:09 pm    Post subject: Feature request Reply with quote

Feature request -

I saw this in a recent GWN: http://www.gentoo.org/news/en/gmn/20080930-newsletter.xml

You can check which running processes need to be restarted after an emerge.
For example, I just ran this command on my system:

Code:

$: lsof | grep 'DEL.*lib' | cut -f 1 -d ' ' | sort -u
cupsd
firefox
smbd
JackieKu
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Dec 14, 2008 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, I'm using 0.1.4.0_pre5, I got some problems about "-r" (resume). It seems 'update' wipes out state files when it receives signals. So I can't resume it after I press Ctrl+C or 'update --stop'. Is it intent by behavior (which is not the same with emerge), or it is a bug?
iMike
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:55 pm    Post subject: WARN Format Error Reply with quote

I get
Code:
!! update: WARN Format Error for
>=sys-apps/shadow-4.1.2   <4.1.2   ''   ''   ''   ''   Shadow has new pam USE which may be required for reboot, and requires admin review of /etc/login.def
 -- Nothing to build
when using Update 0.1.4_pre5 on a MIPs (default/linux/mips/2008.0 *) and Portage 2.1.6.2. Yesterday I got the same sort of error on openrc 0.4.0. Just to see if it was something specific to openrc, I did a normal old "emerge" on it and then found the next items in the list (shadow) now gives me the above error. Unfortunately, update gives up with this warning and forces me back to using "emerge." Anyway to get update working again? Is this a bug in update?
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh nice one deefster, will look at that this week.

JackieKu that's a bug; if it's keywords or package.mask that was fixed a while back in git, along with a bit more support for --recover when resuming. Sorry I've just been pushing there as things have been hectic last few months and I haven't had any of the usual help (QA and coding both.)

git clone git://weaver.gentooenterprise.com/update.git will get you the latest one (in subdir 'update' of cwd). It should be fairly robust, as only minor tweaks have been added since then. If you can test it and let us know how you get on, that'll be great: I'll push that one out if you don't spot anything major (besides the issue Mike's pointed out which will be fixed before I push it to front page.) saveLog (blame Zorry;) is the only new feature.

iMike: yeah that's a bug, damn. Workaround is just comment out that line in /etc/warning or delete it if you're past the issue. (Make sure you've asked in #gentoo or your system may not reboots aiui.) Interesting, as I updated the ABI stuff, though I seem to recall uberp mentioning that one. I'll bbl and will get on it in next 24 (might take a day or so more to get done, depends on how much work is flying at me.)

What we really need is more people adding warnings somehow; I held off on the e2fslibs thing as I was told it had been sorted, but would have been worth just having the blocker in there from day one; easy enough to delete it once it was done. Hmm update -s should check if there's a new warning or indeed a new update (maybe have a release branch for that.. meh I'm useless at vcs.)

Happy New Year to you all and thanks for the feedback :-) Damn, I've missed the forums in the last few weeks..

BTW there's some BASH tips here and two posts further down, if anyone's interested in learning more; http://phpfi.com/385434 is the earliest backup of update I have, and I think I might go back to that to rework it for 2.2. So, if you feel like hacking, just do it; you can't break anyone else's system ;-) most that'll happen is emerge will get called to install something which can be CTRL-C'ed.
rickj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://phpfi.com/ seems to be down at present
rickj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the best updater I've seen.

One minor point - am I missing something, or does the present script defeat parallel fetching? It appears to download each item as it comes to it, regardless of the parallel-fetch option in make.conf.
ppurka
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rickj wrote:
This is the best updater I've seen.

One minor point - am I missing something, or does the present script defeat parallel fetching? It appears to download each item as it comes to it, regardless of the parallel-fetch option in make.conf.
That is probably because it passes each package one at a time to emerge. Since emerge does not get more than one package, parallel fetch is never activated.

You can give the -f argument to fetch all the files first.
rickj
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, ppurka, thanks - that's very clear.

What is really going on here is that this script was written to anticipate the --quiet mode of the newest emerge, back in the day when emerge was unreasonably prolix. The result shows more output than the latest emerge quiet mode, but hugely less than the old emerge "show everything you can get" style. I quite like the compromise in update, which is informative, but fairly terse.
StephanX
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

steveL wrote:

Sounds like a great idea; I've been `persuaded' (that uberpinguin tsk tsk ;) to add layman -S and update-eix.

Sorry about this old quote, but is this implemented yet? I mean the "layman -S" prior to or right after "emerge --sync"?

Cheers,
Stephan
jmbsvicetto

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephanX wrote:
steveL wrote:

Sounds like a great idea; I've been `persuaded' (that uberpinguin tsk tsk ;) to add layman -S and update-eix.

Sorry about this old quote, but is this implemented yet? I mean the "layman -S" prior to or right after "emerge --sync"?

Cheers,
Stephan

steveL asked me to convey the following:
steveL wrote:
basically eix does all the layman stuff
i think i added sth to do what he wanted (if no eix)
ah it's in update --help (added workaround, but layman and eix was mentioned there before)

Your twisted, but hopefully friendly daemon.
AMD64 / x86 / Sparc Gentoo
Help answer || emwrap.sh
swimmer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm - why does SteveL ask you to convey something? Is this script still maintained? Haven't had any updates in the repository for quite some time ...

And since I'm writing here anyway: I have problems to change use-flags in the list of updates ... I always get this error:
Code:

Select flags for media-libs/lcms
 Current package.use: None
 ┌────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
 │ [*] media-libs  !! Unknown: Unable to find: media-libs │
 └────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

This is just an example and happens with every package on which I'd like to
change the use-flags ...

Greetz
swimmer
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Apr 19, 2009 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swimmer wrote:
Hmm - why does SteveL ask you to convey something? Is this script still maintained? Haven't had any updates in the repository for quite some time ...

Well because he is a muppet and hasn't got his desktop fixed in MONTHS!!!! and since he relies on cookies to login he can't login to the forums - iirc he has recently asked for his passwd to be reset
as to is it being maintained, yes it is. This script of SteveL is key to another project he is working on so it is in his best interest to keep it upto date
git log shows last commit was on the 21st of Feb

swimmer wrote:

And since I'm writing here anyway: I have problems to change use-flags in the list of updates ... I always get this error:
Code:

Select flags for media-libs/lcms
 Current package.use: None
 ┌────────────────────────────────────────────────────────┐
 │ [*] media-libs  !! Unknown: Unable to find: media-libs │
 └────────────────────────────────────────────────────────

This is just an example and happens with every package on which I'd like to
change the use-flags ...

Greetz
swimmer
ill point him to this thread when he next logs into irc
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And its back

http://weaver.gentooexperimental.org/src/update/update-20110116.tar.bz2
keenblade
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naib wrote:
And its back

I can't reach the site:
The domain name weaver.gentooexperimental.org could not be resolved.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keenblade wrote:

I can't reach the site:

Yeah we've had some teething DNS problems; it should be working now, or in the next 24hours if DNS caches need to catch up.

This version (and older) has a slight problem with -C (depclean) which is run automatically after the usual -uDN world and glsa-check, before revdep-rebuild, when you give no target to install. Basically the world file needs to be alphabetically sorted, but it's not approved to edit it directly so we should call the installer (default: emerge) to do it. We'll add that in next day or two, and then I'll edit the front-post.

Regards,
steveL.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keenblade wrote:
Naib wrote:
And its back

I can't reach the site:

http://213.131.245.114/src/update/update-20110116.tar.bz2 until DNS sorts itself out
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 17, 2011 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's a bug in that version ("there are no ebuilds to satisfy "uDNpv".) This: http://weaver.gentooexperimental.org/src/update/update-20110117.tar.bz2 fixes it.
Hammad
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2011 2:45 pm    Post subject: Code Error Reply with quote

Me too facing some problem, although have copied the directly these threads, anyway trying to check, may be i had written something before it that is not working with it. :)
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sun Jan 30, 2011 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Code Error Reply with quote

Hammad wrote:
Me too facing some problem, although have copied the directly these threads, anyway trying to check, may be i had written something before it that is not working with it. :)

That should be fixed in the 0117 version. Let us know if you have the same (or another) problem again :)

With respect to the depclean issue,
steveL wrote:
Basically the world file needs to be alphabetically sorted

that's not true; we weren't considering versions kept and slots. The slotting issue has led to us having to deal with slots for ebuilds no longer in tree, which we can get from /var/db/pkg/ since they only come up for installed packages which are no longer in tree. So, we're working on that and will have a new version soon.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

depclean now checks the slot for the package and deals fine with ebuilds no longer in tree. (I came across this with gentoo-sources.) I've pushed the new version to front post. It's at: http://weaver.gentooexperimental.org/src/update/update-20110204.tar.bz2

Hopefully we'll get the bug tracker working again soon.

Regards,
steveL.
steveL
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2011 12:27 am    Post subject: install to world bugfixes Reply with quote

New version: http://weaver.gentooexperimental.org/src/update/update-20110207.tar.bz2
md5sum: cc3194140d0f4b16f2e4b59795291ab4

There's a problem with installing to world in prior versions; packages are only installed as pkg:slot even when only pkg is given. Further, the 20110204 release wasn't installing anything to world. Earlier versions I'm not sure about. Either way, if you've been using this to install to world, check your world file. The slot issue appears to be a relatively recent change to portage, as my old laptop has lots of stuff in world, all installed by update.

You should also review eg /etc/portage/package.keywords and .unmask etc on a regular basis. I have some unmasking stuff done by update going back to June 08(!) on my laptop, in keywords for ~arch packages; often just for one version which will already be obsolete.
Kelly
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool, 10x
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 9 of 11

Jump to: