A howto setup an ebuild? or FAQ?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jkcunningham
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 12:01 am    Post subject: A howto setup an ebuild? or FAQ? Reply with quote

I'd like to setup an ebuild for gbuffy, which I downloaded off freshmeat and succeeded in compiling. I have examined a couple .ebuild scripts and can see what is involved there. What I can't figure out yet is the process of going from compilable source to submitting an ebuild to Gentoo.

I've searched through the FAQ's and forums and seen a little bit of discussion, but nothing that starts from the ground up. For example, do I first submit the source code to CVS, then tweak a local ebuild script until it works, then submit the ebuild script to bugzilla? How do I test an ebuild outside of portage?

I'm probably not even asking the right questions. If someone can get me started, I'd appreciate it.

-Jeff
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you can't submit it to CVS because that is a privilege for developers (the ebuild submission howto is/was a developers howto according to the title). It would be really bad if all users had commit access to CVS.

If you already have the ebuild you should put it in PORTDIR_OVERLAY (look in make.conf for an explanation) and test it. If you think the ebuild is ready for widespread use you submit it on bugzilla, but please check for existing bugs for that program. You could also post it on the forums so that people can test it before submission.

@Devs: if anything I said here is wrong please correct
idl
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 12:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ebuild HowTo mentions testing your custom ebuilds using PORTDIR_OVERLAY but doesn't mention submiting ebuilds. Perhaps you should submit a comment on this also to the bugzilla.
jkcunningham
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 3:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - that FAQ is a start. I don't have the ebuild script written yet. I figured I'd grab an existing one and use it as a template with the man pages and FAQ at my elbow.

-Jeff
Chickpea
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2003 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the portage tree is a skelton ebuild (example)named skel.ebuild It can give you a good start.

C
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: