Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Howto Blender 32-bit on 64 bit system With python. (solved)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frog-o
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:10 pm    Post subject: Howto Blender 32-bit on 64 bit system With python. (solved) Reply with quote

Intruduction

Hi I read that blender 2.34 dose not work well on 64 bit system here

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-542124-highlight-blender.html

So i decided to try to git blender 2.34 32 bit working on my system and ran into a little problem with blender and python.
Blender run just fine on my vlos 1.3 system all you have to do is download it and untar it from blender.org. But i did have
a little trouble with python since blender was 32-bit it wanted a 32-bit python. It took me 2 day for me to make this work around.
I figure i post the step i took and post it here , so someone like me could save some time.
I hope it is useful.

The process to git blender 32 bit + python working

1.) click this www.blender.org/download/get-blender go Look for Linux i386(unless you are not useing and i386 compatible computer)
then click on what country you want it to download from.

2.) Uncompress it and put it some place I put mine in /usr/local/bin (not sure if it follow the file system standers) but I
try my best To follow them and it look like to me that where the have me put it. sorry if i made a mistake

Note1: in oder to put put it in /usr/local/bin/ you have to untar it as root and then chown -R to the user you are useing

3.) (optional)rename blender-2.43-linux-glibc232-py24-i386.tar.bz2 to blender-2.43

4.)go to

http://packages.debian.org/cgi-bin/download.pl?arch=i386&file=pool%2Fmain%2Fp%2Fpython2.4%2Fpython2.4-minimal_2.4.4-2_i386.deb&md5sum=1d3c130af18ae8fde6faed28e9521661&arch=i386&type=main

and select the country you want to download from. This is hopefull the python library we need
Form what i read debian package are nothing much more then zip files and
When i use konqueror it show me them as just that.
untar the data.tar.gz and copyed it to /usr/lib32/blender/(It seem logical sine where after the 32-bit python libbarys.) or where ever you like

Note:
I not sure this is the right package. Sorry if i goof just look around debian.org and find the package with the python exc and libs. make
sure you have the 2.4 version(wich is you are not going to find in the stable brach sellect all. if you use the search tool)

5.) create a script to launch blender and set python path to find libs you just downloades
heres mine

#!/bin/sh
# store Current envirement python varibles
export texec_prefix=$exec_prefix
export tprefix=$prefix
export tPYTHONHOME=$PYTHONHOME
export tPYTHONPATH=$PYTHONPATH
# changes it to use 32 bit python wich i put in /usr/lib32/blender/
# wich i uncommpressed from a derbain package
export exec_prefix=/usr/lib32/blender/usr
export prefix=/usr/lib32/blender/usr
export PYTHONHOME=${prefix}:${exec_prefix}
export PYTHONPATH=/usr/lib32/blender/usr/bin

cd /usr/local/bin/blender-2.43
/usr/local/bin/blender-2.43/blender

# after blender quit put back envirement varibles to 64bit python
# so thing like gen-sync will work with 64 bit python if we desind to
# continue on from a console in wich we run blender
export exec_prefix=$texec_prefix
export prefix=$tprefix
export PYTHONHOME=$tPYTHONHOME
export PYTHONPATH=$tPYTHONPATH

Note1:
make sure you you have the script in your path (you can see you path buy opening a console and type echo $PATH, notice path is all capital)
and the executable bit is check and is readable buy the user you are useing or you get permission denied error I hate those specifically since I the administrator of my own computer.
Note2
If you put thing in different directory you going to have to tweek my script above so blender can fin the lib to do this create a new text doc in blender and type in

import sys
print sys.path

and press alt-p
and look at the console it will show you the path it think is the python path to the library correct my enverment variables
so the path it has is correct.

Note 3: it give an error about not be able to find python but I think that fine(correct me if I wrong But I think all we need is the libbary any way since I think blender has python built in but dose not include the python libs)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: