View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuF
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've watch the ryzom's movie, it looks very nice and to have a great world, but I'm not fan of MMORPG :)

But it's good example of project we need our support (like cold war and a lot of others...) !
RdsArts
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dice wrote:
By paying Transgaming to support games under GNU/Linux I validate Linux as a viable market for future game development.

I know this is a bit deep back in the comments, but bullox.

You support GNU/Linux being a platform that gets no support, and can occasionally run games made for other OSes.

You also support closed applications instead of open, free software.

I'm not looking to start anything, but saying WineX is a sign of "support for GNU/Linux game" is like saying "cygwin is a sign of support for MS including GNU in it's base install."

dice wrote:
gsfgf wrote:
i see no reason to stop using it, but for god's sake don't pay for it.

Stealing is wrong :(

If you want to support someone working on a Windows API layer, support the actual Wine project, not Transgaming. When the Wine people get something working, it will be open and free.
dice
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RdsArts wrote:
dice wrote:
By paying Transgaming to support games under GNU/Linux I validate Linux as a viable market for future game development.

I know this is a bit deep back in the comments, but bullox.

You support GNU/Linux being a platform that gets no support, and can occasionally run games made for other OSes.

You also support closed applications instead of open, free software.

I'm not looking to start anything, but saying WineX is a sign of "support for GNU/Linux game" is like saying "cygwin is a sign of support for MS including GNU in it's base install."

dice wrote:
gsfgf wrote:
i see no reason to stop using it, but for god's sake don't pay for it.

Stealing is wrong :(

If you want to support someone working on a Windows API layer, support the actual Wine project, not Transgaming. When the Wine people get something working, it will be open and free.

Sorry but I don't think that there's anything morally wrong with closed source software. People are free to do as they will, we have as little right to dictate to others that they must provide open software as they have to dictate to us that we must provide closed software. If someone thinks that they can create a closed source product that's better than the open source equivilent they're free to do so. I believe that such an endeavor is ultimately doomed to failure but that doesn't mean that I won't buy it if the price is right in the meantime.
RdsArts
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dice wrote:
Sorry but I don't think that there's anything morally wrong with closed source software. People are free to do as they will, we have as little right to dictate to others that they must provide open software as they have to dictate to us that we must provide closed software. If someone thinks that they can create a closed source product that's better than the open source equivilent they're free to do so. I believe that such an endeavor is ultimately doomed to failure but that doesn't mean that I won't buy it if the price is right in the meantime.

If your just worried about it being "morally" wrong, they're cutting your throat on native GNU/Linux apps and telling you to "just use a emulation layer we're creating from code copied off a free solution, and pay us for it."

I don't think anyone buying or making a closed app is wrong. I also, however, don't believe in supporting people who do. Expectally when that support could go to already mature free and open options.
DuF
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2003 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dice wrote:

It's not with this type of thinking that Linux is become what it is today... very strange thinking and also, if you support a closed technology, I hope for you that the society behind the closed technology will not be die/close.... if it's happens, I hope that they will let their closed technology under Free licence, if not, you will be happy with your support to "linux games"....

So, I agree, you can choice what you want, instead support closed society, but it's definitively not the good choice !
Papapishu
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wine nor winex have never ever worked anyway.
Once i could get solitaire to run, but that's about it. :evil:
zephyr1256
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wine is a good thing, but only of limited use for certain applications, and not needed for much, anyway(I can count on one hand the number of useful things I have managed to do with it, since I emerged it, definitely worthwhile, but I could live without it). I would never pay to support winex, as I do not believe it encourages native development for Linux. Heck, it seems that Transgaming even has a vested interest in games NOT having a native port for Linux, as indicated by their own actions mentioned in this thread. Furthermore, by buying a Windows or Mac version of a game, and using WineX to emulate it, you actually make it more worthwhile for companies to develop for those other OS's. Why would they ever make a Linux port to get your business if you are willing to buy their Windows port?
Syzar
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is kinda OFF-TOPIC, but anyway:
IMHO we need an alternative for DirectX (I know Open-Source alternative is developed, but can't recall any name or URL), because OpenGL by itself isn't enough it deal only with graphics and not at all with sounds or user-interfaces like keyboards, mouses or joysticks. DirectX deals with all that letting game developers MOSTLY out of troubles. It would probably encourage developers to develop games to Linux.
beowulf
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this link just a few minutes ago while looking at the NWN install faq...

http://timedoctor.org/boycott_winex.php

I found it quite interesting, and have decided to not recommend winex to anyone... to in fact tell anyone that asks not to use it...

Quote:

TransGaming once promised to give back code to what was Wine, before it changed to the LGPL license. After it changed, they removed all mention of giving back code from their website.
Note that other companies, like Lindows, and Codeweavers _are_ giving back code, and being good open source citizens.

Red Nalie
Guru
Guru

Location: Den Helder - The Netherlands - Europe - Earth - Milky Way - Universe

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slowly but steadily Im beginning to regret having taken a 6month subscription :cry:

i'm a little n00bie short and stout, here is my nickname here is my SHOUT!!!1 when i get all flamed up hear me SHOUT!!1 ban me forever, kick me out
wHAcKer
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

imo we don't need a directx kinda program. UT2k3 runs smoother (though lower fps) and much more beautiful under opengl, i'm afraid a directx clone would ban opengl for good and that can't be a good thing (tm)
Red Nalie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Accordig to my newsletter I just received, I am:
Quote:

"...enjoying the hottest games out there such as Battlefield: 1942, Sim City 4, EverQuest, and Medal Of Honor: Allied Assault, just to name a few."

Well, trust me, I am not ENJOYING the hottest game out there, I can't play Battlefield normally!

i'm a little n00bie short and stout, here is my nickname here is my SHOUT!!!1 when i get all flamed up hear me SHOUT!!1 ban me forever, kick me out
eziril
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've personally been a transgaming subscriber for over a year now, I can say it's been pretty good. It does what I want, and thats play a few games in linux, so I don't need to reboot, or have a windows partition.
On the moral side, I don't see linux ever getting any proper amount of native games unless there are drasticaly more linux users. And I don't see linux getting drasticly more users until we can play games. I have personally switched 3 people to linux. The sole reason I was able to switch them was that I told them that I had used winex, and was playing windows games in linux just fine.
The masses have a selling point, and thats games. Whether it's mom and her obession with the sims, or jimmy down the street playing quake 3. If we want linux to get native games, first we need these people to be able to make the migration, and keep the non-native games they already have.
RdsArts
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2003 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eziril wrote:
If we want linux to get native games, first we need these people to be able to make the migration, and keep the non-native games they already have.

Yes, because we all know how many people switch to the Mac for Windows game support.

Quake3 and the Sims are available for GNU/Linux. The Sims is available as a transgaming crippled WineX implimentation which I hear is already broke.(it's about a year old) It also only works on Mandrake 8.1, as it's distributed in a 75$ "distro." They COULD have made a native port. They SHOULD have made a native port.

But they didn't.

Quote:
The masses have a selling point, and thats games. Whether it's mom and her obession with the sims, or jimmy down the street playing quake 3.

Sims doesn't work with the actual WineX program, and Quake3 had a native client at launch. The masses have a selling point, and that's Windows, not games. The gamers your talking about want the latest game, yesterday. And WineX does not provide that.
peepsalot
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2003 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Syntizier wrote:
IMHO we need an alternative for DirectX (I know Open-Source alternative is developed, but can't recall any name or URL)

Would you be referring to the SDL perhaps?
Red Nalie
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2003 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

peepsalot wrote:
Syntizier wrote:
IMHO we need an alternative for DirectX (I know Open-Source alternative is developed, but can't recall any name or URL)

Would you be referring to the SDL perhaps?

I could be really mistaken, but isnt OpenGL the alternative? (or one of...)

CuriousTux
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Jun 20, 2003 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

frediz wrote:

while waiting gentoo admins remove it from portage :)

I'm a newbie with Linux and I didn't understood what you said :cry:. Do you mean that WineX is installed with Gentoo, by default?
Arker
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It means Winex is in the portage tree...

Code:

# emerge winex-transgaming

~arker
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: