Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rich0 wrote:
I'm sorry - this is just silly. Do I really need to patch my paludis sources so that I can use some utilities of my own choosing to improve my life a little?

I just renamed the repo in profiles/repo_name and also renamed the directory and changed the repository config accordingly.
The only hooks I use are ask (for install tasks only) and collision-protect. It's pretty ridiculous that paludis doesn't have those features built in. I hate issuing the same command twice for one task, even I do not have to type it really. Non-interactivity sucks, and accidentally overwriting files while developing an ebuild sucks too (happens from time to time..)

But until portage doesn't provide an as good set handling (?, *, etc) and uninstall-unused, I refuse to switch back and accept that annoyance here.

For new users it's out of the question anyway, as this overlay and its distfile mirrors are so down for ages already. So who cares.
Ingmarv
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimpel wrote:
rich0 wrote:
I'm sorry - this is just silly. Do I really need to patch my paludis sources so that I can use some utilities of my own choosing to improve my life a little?

I just renamed the repo in profiles/repo_name and also renamed the directory and changed the repository config accordingly.
The only hooks I use are ask (for install tasks only) and collision-protect. It's pretty ridiculous that paludis doesn't have those features built in. I hate issuing the same command twice for one task, even I do not have to type it really. Non-interactivity sucks, and accidentally overwriting files while developing an ebuild sucks too (happens from time to time..)

That collision-protect hook is written by David Leverton, one of the paludis developers, and is maintained here: http://git.pioto.org/gitweb/paludis-scripts.git?a=tree
That's where you'll find updates to it, and where you should get it from. Just clone the git repository, and drop it in /etc/paludis/hooks (see the documentation).

If you upgrade paludis to one of the most recent releases, you'll find that paludis now has phases support, which allows you to do
Quote:
paludis --install quux --abort-at-phase merge

to inspect what will be merged by the ebuild that you're developping. Well, that's one use case for it...

Regarding ask, I consider that to be amongst portage's most pointless misfeatures, but oh well. :twisted:
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ingmarv wrote:
That collision-protect hook is written by David Leverton, one of the paludis developers, and is maintained here: http://git.pioto.org/gitweb/paludis-scripts.git?a=tree
That's where you'll find updates to it, and where you should get it from. Just clone the git repository, and drop it in /etc/paludis/hooks (see the documentation).

If you upgrade paludis to one of the most recent releases, you'll find that paludis now has phases support, which allows you to do
Quote:
paludis --install quux --abort-at-phase merge

to inspect what will be merged by the ebuild that you're developping. Well, that's one use case for it...

Regarding ask, I consider that to be amongst portage's most pointless misfeatures, but oh well. :twisted:

Many thanks for the info on the collision protect hook, I had no idea of that and thought that overlay is the only spot to get it.

The thing with the ask hook is more a design issue, if you want. Calling it with -ip, looking at the output, see all is fine, pressing arrow up, remove the 'p' and press enter isn't really an issue. On the second run the dep list creation is quite fast, but still.. just pressing enter is just nicer and quicker. It just goes on with doing what I asked it to do in the first place, and doesn't stupidly force me to do the same task again, just with the 'p' removed. That's silly IMHO. But oh well...
For uninstalling things it's absolutely useless, of course.
Ingmarv
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimpel wrote:
Many thanks for the info on the collision protect hook, I had no idea of that and thought that overlay is the only spot to get it.

And that is half of why paludis-extras had to be taken out and shot.

gimpel wrote:
The thing with the ask hook is more a design issue, if you want. Calling it with -ip, looking at the output, see all is fine, pressing arrow up, remove the 'p' and press enter isn't really an issue. On the second run the dep list creation is quite fast, but still.. just pressing enter is just nicer and quicker. It just goes on with doing what I asked it to do in the first place, and doesn't stupidly force me to do the same task again, just with the 'p' removed. That's silly IMHO. But oh well...

See /usr/share/paludis/hooks/demos/pretend_resume.hook. It gives you the same thing that --resume-command-template outputs. Try it.
Still the time it takes before you get the first resolution on your screen is what matters, since that's the time you wait for paludis. And that's where paludis is much faster than portage.
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ingmarv wrote:
gimpel wrote:

And that is half of why paludis-extras had to be taken out and shot.

Here the question turns up... why hasn't this been fixed in the overlay so that "it's done right". Not knowing any of the guys in charge, I think the intention of this overlay was to provide features that users demand and that paludis doesn't come with ootb, using the hooks feature that it does provide, but obviously in a wrong way. Sounds like a communication problem or something...

Quote:
gimpel wrote:

See /usr/share/paludis/hooks/demos/pretend_resume.hook. It gives you the same thing that --resume-command-template outputs. Try it.
Still the time it takes before you get the first resolution on your screen is what matters, since that's the time you wait for paludis. And that's where paludis is much faster than portage.

Right now this sounds like that would even more complicate things up, but it's late night here, and I'll have to look at your suggestion tomorrow, because right now I can't think of anything easier and quicker than "just pressing enter".

N8 and thanks for now.
rich0
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gimpel wrote:

Here the question turns up... why hasn't this been fixed in the overlay so that "it's done right". Not knowing any of the guys in charge, I think the intention of this overlay was to provide features that users demand and that paludis doesn't come with ootb, using the hooks feature that it does provide, but obviously in a wrong way. Sounds like a communication problem or something...

Yup. If you don't want to support a feature properly, then don't complain when others do and you don't like the way they do it.

The simple solution would be for the paludis devs to either:

1. Create an -extras overlay of their own which does things the way they want them done.
2. Just build the desired features into paludis.

An appropriate response isn't to gripe how people are using your software "the wrong way." What is the point of having hooks if you're going to complain any time somebody implements them? Sure, if somebody does something in an unsupported manner, then don't support them.

I need to investigate whether portage's dependency resolution has improved. Sure, the faster speed is nice and all but if I wanted an OS that told me the right way to use it and got in my way if I didn't like it, I'd just buy something from Apple... :)
brubru
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To replace the ask options i have this in my .bashrc:

Code:
export PALUDIS_OPTIONS="--resume-command-template /tmp/paludis-resume"

paludis-resume()
{
   /bin/sh /tmp/paludis-resume $*
}

paludis -ip world
<look package list>
paludis-resume

So, I avoid to rebuild dependencie list
redbottle
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brubru wrote:

Code:

paludis-resume()
{
}

paludis -ip world
<look package list>
paludis-resume

Nice tip. Works great :D
gimpel
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

redbottle wrote:
brubru wrote:

Code:

paludis-resume()
{
}

paludis -ip world
<look package list>
paludis-resume

Nice tip. Works great :D

That's indeed quite a nice solution.
Thanks!
SlashBeast
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brubru wrote:

Code:

paludis-resume()
{
}

paludis -ip world
<look package list>
paludis-resume

$* from paludis-resume is sent to sh, not for paludis. I use:

Code:
export PALUDIS_OPTIONS="--resume-command-template /root/.paludis-resume"
paludis-resume()
{
  /bin/sh -c "$(cat /root/.paludis-resume) $*"
}

paludis-update-world()
{
 paludis -ip world --dl-reinstall if-use-changed --continue-on-failure always && \
 echo "Type paludis-resume and hit enter to continue."
}

And it work for me (at zsh).
Paczesiowa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone have mirrored distfiles from paludis-extras? I'm looking for paludis-hooks-update-eix-2.7.tar.bz2
tek0
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paczesiowa wrote:
does anyone have mirrored distfiles from paludis-extras? I'm looking for paludis-hooks-update-eix-2.7.tar.bz2

http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Paludis/Hooks
There's one.
Paczesiowa
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2010 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this looks extremely old (I have 10x longer version), but I'd want a tarball, so that I can install it like a regular package.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Unsupported Software All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: