Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Motherboard powered by LinuxBIOS available now!
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vibrokatana
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like how stable my desktop is, ive put it through hell and it keeps on going... I doubt I will need another computer for a year and a half or two.
dufnutz
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having briefly (very briefly) worked on this project I have an idea why AMD is better supported. First, the developers that work on this project have AMD hardware, it is hard to test a bios on hardware you do not have. Second, Intel is notoriously bad at give all the information in their documenation. Intel is the creator of EFI, which is a competing product to LinuxBIOS. You can be sure they don't want to give any of their help to sink the EFI ship.

But speaking of EFI their is a project attempting to recreate the EFI spec using free software called GNUFI. I believe it uses LinuxBIOS as its base.
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why, the only company worth mentioning that's adopted EFI is Apple, Linux is full steam ahead with real PCs.
boniek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

valkyrite wrote:
Anior wrote:
Great news!

I were planning on a core 2 duo but this is reason enough to go with AMD instead.

Also, if you are not planning on buying an uber version of core 2, you can get a better deal on Athlon X2. AMD has processors which can perform upto E6600 for the same price range.

Not so true. Core 2 due overclock insanely (how about e6300@2.8GHz without touching vcore?). They are a lot better than what AMD can offer you in the same price range.
playfool
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here's the FOSDEM talk on LinuxBIOS for those who have a hard time understand why it's cool and why we need it:
http://ftp.belnet.be/mirrors/FOSDEM/2007/FOSDEM2007-LinuxBios.ogg - the same ftp has the remaining FOSDEM talks, there's some good stuff so have a peak.
boniek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LinuxBIOS concept is interesting. It would be a shame to lose overclocking options though - it enables you to get free horse power that any Gentoo user would appreciate (I know I do ;) )
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Playfool: thanks for the link, that was a very good discussion on LinuxBIOS.

@boniek: I don't see why you'd lose any BIOS functionality with LinuxBIOS, it wouldn't be too much effort to have a boot-time menu to let you configure hardware, if the industry pulled it's weight behind the project you'd see it taking off much faster than PCBIOS ever did.
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boniek wrote:
LinuxBIOS concept is interesting. It would be a shame to lose overclocking options though - it enables you to get free horse power that any Gentoo user would appreciate (I know I do ;) )

i think you're overrating overclocking ;)
at any rate, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to implement that functionality using linuxbios. actually, there's a lot of things you can overclock using linux without even touching your bios, being able to do so if it's your bios seems logical ;)

( Twitter | Blog | GitHub )
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've actually given it more thought, the more I think about LinuxBIOS, the more I'm interested, the fact is, if LinuxBIOS does become mainstream, we could do away with the need for a bootloader entirely, kexec() is able to start more than just the Linux kernel. We could get rid of the rubbish PCBIOS partitioning scheme entirely, this thing has so much going for it, it's not even funny.
boniek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mdeininger wrote:

OC form 1.86 to 3.2GHz cut compile time of OOo almost in half. Is that overrated?
mdeininger wrote:
at any rate, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to implement that functionality using linuxbios.

Yeah I guess so. But I get the feeling that it would be considered "low priority" or "dangerous" or whatever and no dev would really care for that in the end. Hopefully I'm wrong :)
vibrokatana
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

overclocking is fun until your rig doesnt boot anymore, mine can hit 50% over but I dont keep it up there because I have to increase the voltage by 10%.. The amd64s overclock very well (I have an opteron but whatever)
boniek
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vibrokatana wrote:
overclocking is fun until your rig doesnt boot anymore, mine can hit 50% over but I dont keep it up there because I have to increase the voltage by 10%.. The amd64s overclock very well (I have an opteron but whatever)

For daily usage it's 1.86@2.8. Works rock stable without raising any voltage. Stock cooled @ 52C in stress (fan is really silent - only 1300RPMs). C2Ds are really something :)
vibrokatana
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boniek wrote:
vibrokatana wrote:

For daily usage it's 1.86@2.8. Works rock stable without raising any voltage. Stock cooled @ 52C in stress (fan is really silent - only 1300RPMs). C2Ds are really something :)
stock 1.8ghz, oc 2.7, 43C under load. I dont keep it that high because the northbridge and power area get wayy too hot (>60C)
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boniek wrote:
mdeininger wrote:

OC form 1.86 to 3.2GHz cut compile time of OOo almost in half. Is that overrated?

it may be handy at times, but to be honest my x2 is compiling OOo swift enough at the default ratings (that's one of those "let it run over night" tasks for me, don't care if it's +/- an hour :D) and for regular work i tend to underclock it to 2x 1GHz since i hardly if ever hit 30% cpu usage with that x2.
(and i just like to see my cpu's temperature reading at around 30°C, but that might be me :D)

boniek wrote:
mdeininger wrote:
at any rate, there's no reason you shouldn't be able to implement that functionality using linuxbios.

Yeah I guess so. But I get the feeling that it would be considered "low priority" or "dangerous" or whatever and no dev would really care for that in the end. Hopefully I'm wrong :)

not necessarily, it could be a side-effect of programming some of the preparations the bios has to do anyway :)

i might be biased towards overclocking, but in my experience it's more expensive in the long run to buy cheap parts and good cooling than it is to buy good parts with medium or stock cooling. + if you buy high quality parts right away, you won't have to worry about accidentally frying your rig ;)

vibrokatana
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen more people fry "budget" rigs its not even funny. I think this is because people think crap PSUs are perfectly fine, they buy the cheapest motherboard and throw it into a badly designed case and overclock it 20% and wonder why their system doesnt boot any more...
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vibrokatana wrote:
I have seen more people fry "budget" rigs its not even funny. I think this is because people think crap PSUs are perfectly fine, they buy the cheapest motherboard and throw it into a badly designed case and overclock it 20% and wonder why their system doesnt boot any more...

++

Same here, there's nothing I can't stand more than a cheap PSU, even if you're not overclocking it's just a baddd idea skimping out on it, it's the most important part of the system imho, motherboard being the next most important.
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidanJT wrote:
vibrokatana wrote:

++

Same here, there's nothing I can't stand more than a cheap PSU, even if you're not overclocking it's just a baddd idea skimping out on it, it's the most important part of the system imho, motherboard being the next most important.

yup, why do you think I spend £120 on just the PSU with my new build
aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sticking in two 8800GTXs and overclocking the bollocks out of a C2D? :P
mdeininger
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AidanJT wrote:
For sticking in two 8800GTXs and overclocking the bollocks out of a C2D? :P

he said £120, not 120TW :twisted:

aidanjt
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naw, it's not that bad really, some people have an awful habit of exhadurating component power usage.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Off the Wall All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: