GCC-4.1.1 - GCC-4.1.1-rc1[solved]
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
0x001A4
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:23 pm    Post subject: GCC-4.1.1 - GCC-4.1.1-rc1[solved] Reply with quote

I started running a world update and noticed that this gcc update would take place. Is this such a significant update that I will have to tell my system which version of gcc to use and rebuild everything?

I was looking through the upgrade gcc guide and there was nothing on this except:
Code:
Warning: It should be noted that upgrading from GCC-3.4 to GCC-4.1 or greater still requires you to follow the general upgrading instructions, as GCC-3.4 and GCC-4.1 use slightly different ABIs.

So does this mean I dont have to do anything?

Sorry for the noob question, but gcc is definately not something I just want to muck around with.

Last edited by 0x001A4 on Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
yabbadabbadont
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not positive, but I believe that I have read in the past that you only need to rebuild everything when either there is an announcement telling you to do so (the ebuild itself should tell you when you install it), or when the first or second part of the version changes. e.g. 3.3.x -> 3.4.x or 3.4.x to 4.x.x. Usually, -rx indicates a minor revision change, and generally doesn't require a full rebuild of the system. The main thing is that the ebuild should tell you at the end if any special actions are required. Then, if you decide it is too much, you can always downgrade to the previous version you were using.

Edit: You can always edit /usr/portage/sys-devel/gcc/gcc-4.1.1-r1.ebuild and look at the ewarn and einfo messages to see beforehand if any major actions are required on your part.

Edit2: I just looked and this version is currently keyword masked on all arches...
0x001A4
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok cool. thanks for the tip.

I'm using accept_keywords="~amd64" so thats why it came up. But I'm just going to mask other versions of gcc and glibc and stick with what I have.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: