Hi everybody
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ChrisC3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Hi everybody Reply with quote

Hi everybody at Gentoo!
Just thought that i would post an update on my progress with Gentoo.
Everything is going well, i have made some good progress with gnome (and i have been reading up about kde 4) in learning its environment (is that the right word?) and i have made some inroads into using portage and how i install new packages (i need to learn some more about the package masking). I read through the handbooks that i downloaded from the Gentoo site and they have been very helpful thankyou. Pete has put me onto Linuxchicks so i hope to make some new friends there soon. Honestly i expected more problems than what i have encountered so far (i dont think windows likes me) but i probably dont push the system as hard as you guys do (i had a problem trying to install the latest OpenOffice - my fault sorry). Pete has been a great help to me and i cannot thank him enough. He has helped make this all possible and i would still be a windows only user if it wasn't for him.
Thankyou Gentoo and everyone else, i have really enjoyed the last few months learning linux on your OS and i am looking forward to the next few to see what i can achieve.

p.s. is there any chance of a pink version of Gentoo maybe with some flowers or fairies for the desktop and icons (or where should i look if there already is one)?
p.p.s i like Larry the cow he is a cool mascot!
sonicbhoc
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out the Lila theme. You can get it by emerging layman and running layman -a lila-theme (make sure you have subversion installed first)
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you are enjoying using Gentoo, it is certainly fun to watch a system emerge in front of your very eyes.

I can't give you a pink Gentoo wallpaper, but this is a pink Linux one.
ChrisC3
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW i like that alot!

Thank you sonicbhoc for the Lila theme link, i cant wait to get it.
and
Thank you mark_alec for the adorable pink penguine girl (i will make her my desktop tonight).
c8a7w
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2007 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i started using gentoo as my main OS on my laptop in janurary and ive loved it dispite a few issues (still cant get wireless to work but ill sort that after uni finishes)

glad to see im not the only one that windows dosnt like, i had vista un-validate its self yesterday!! (useless OS :evil: :evil:)

i was trying to explain what using linux is like the other day and i came up with this

"with windows its like you are controlling something that is on the computer
with linux it is like you are controlling the computer, you have so much more controll over everything"
rgk
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i have been using gentoo for a few months for my main desktop, it really is amazing, i go to other distros to try them out and i just can't, addicted to portage =P
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: