View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming
View previous topic :: View next topic  
honeymak
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if there will be an option for automated USE flag check recursively......that will be good stuff :P
InfoManiac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Solution Reply with quote

Removing the "doc" keyword completely solved the problem for me.

It did not matter what I tried to emerge *everything* failed, I kept getting circular dependency errors on everything.

Mind you this in one a completely clean system, this problem started happening right after this point (because of the "doc" keyword):
Rebooting The System.

I have noticed the dependency system NEEDS to be re-vamped! I always have to chase down the error and emerge other things then come back around to doing an emerge system / world.

It needs to check the things that need to be installed first (being the dependency), so that the things you are installing get what is needed to be installed first then the requested item (which you are trying to install) gets installed after.

It needs to be recursive and needs to install sub-dependencies first, and work backwards first, so that when it comes to installing the requested item, all will be in place.

I know this sounds easier than it probably is and probably a ton or work, but portage needs a checking system and possibly a couple of back items to verify all is well and in place, etc. as I believe this will solve the problem long term and will reduce the headache on the developers.

P.S. I tried Debian, Fedora for a while and I just can't do it! I am absolutely sucked into Gentoo! It is FAR more superior! Once you go Gentoo you never go back!
manos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:40 am    Post subject: Circular dependencies Reply with quote

Circular dependencies trying to build a new gentoo system.
Timestamp of tree: Tue, 06 Mar 2007 23:00:09 +0000
First appear of the problem when I tried to merge kde-meta.
I merged the latest sys-apps/portage-2.1.2-r9 (masked ~x86)
DirectFB depended on libsdl and the opposite. (Because of the sdl and directfb flags)
I removed directfb from my USE flags but I think emerging libsdl without using the directfb flag will work just fine..
Is this considered to be a bug? :?:
InfoManiac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:53 am    Post subject: RE:Bug? Reply with quote

Yeah.....it is a bug, but it is not any particular keyword it seems because reading through this entire thread I have noticed different keywords have been needed to be removed in order to solve the problem for the others.

I have DirectFB and libsdl flags enabled and emerge works until I add "doc" back, so let's not call it a bug for any of these keywords because I could've disable they keywords you did but I would still get this problem until I removed "doc"

If a bug is to be filed, best to file it against portage and include the link to this topic so the developer(s) can determine what's going on, since that would probably yield the best results.
manos
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 1:12 am    Post subject: what I forgot.. Reply with quote

You are right.
Reading this thread at the beginning I have removed "doc" flag.
If I try to emerge with the "doc" flag I still get a circular dependencies error.
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: RE:Bug? Reply with quote

InfoManiac wrote:
If a bug is to be filed, best to file it against portage and include the link to this topic so the developer(s) can determine what's going on, since that would probably yield the best results.

You might want to reread Zacs post first.
honeymak
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my approach was to do stuff manually
i think it's hard to have an automated solution to circular dependency problem

when i need pkg A, AND i have enabled some certain USE flags which requires pkg B been installed first, while pkg B needs some headers from pkg A for some certain USE flags which requires pkg A been installed first.

then i just disable ALL USE flags for pkg A, test each USE flags for pkg A as long as pkg B is not required, so that i can have a successful build for pkg A
then i just disable ALL USE flags for pkg B, test each USE flags for pkg B as long as pkg A is not required, so that i can have a successful build for pkg B
then rebuild both pkg A AND B

this could be quite a long process though
but this solves
u will see this when u have ldap and samba
InfoManiac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Genone:
This is a problem with portage. It needs to be fixed, unless just referring people to other threads is common place with Gentoo now, rather than the problem being solved. I am an end user of this distribution, it needs to work correctly, else what's the point? I mean take Windows, if they just referred people to a forum thread instead of fixing problems that are detrimental to the OS working (in this case Portage, not the OS, isn't functioning correctly) I doubt they would've gotten where they are. They would be laughed right off the page.

I do not need to bother myself with having to perform tricks to get portage to work. That is a bug, not a "feature" If it's broke the developers need to fix it (one would think).

Definition of a bug that I go by. This is a bug

@honeymak:
Yeah, that's ridiculous. Let's face it, portage has a legitimate bug, it isn't working as intended.....unless being broken is the intention here.

Real simple, it's broke (Portage), I am supposed to use a keyword of my choice so I can get that added into whatever supports it. That's not happening, I am getting errors. Something needs fixing.

=====

Unless what I am saying is just crazy talk, and these are truly features and I should want to pull hat tricks outta my arse in order to use Portage.

Sorry, but Portage is supposedly maintained by developers, not the end-user. We just use it, developers are supposed to make it work. For me to point this out and be told I should want to fix something I didn't break, enjoy it and get satisfaction in the fact that it will not be fixed is totally useless. It doesn't fix what's broke.

I am being told to enjoy the experience basically uh...no....howz about we fix that little problem. I see one in this topic is a developer, I tell ya what, the time being spent here telling me <x>,<y>, and <z> the problem could've been solved already in a quarter of the time it took to talk it all out.
Sminkie
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: --nodeps Reply with quote

I have had the same problem. I wanted to do an emerge on mozilla-firefox, but had circular dependencies..

There was one package (DirectFB) that depended on libsdl.
Libsdl on the other hand depended on DirectFB...

Took me a while to find out, but finally i ran an 'emerge --nodeps DirectFB'
That worked for me...

Now I am runnig an 'emerge mozilla-firefox'...
No problem anymore, hope this can be a help to others!

- -

Linux, Just Change .... Fuck MS! :P
KShots
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

InfoManiac wrote:
@Genone:
This is a problem with portage. It needs to be fixed, unless just referring people to other threads is common place with Gentoo now, rather than the problem being solved. I am an end user of this distribution, it needs to work correctly, else what's the point? I mean take Windows, if they just referred people to a forum thread instead of fixing problems that are detrimental to the OS working (in this case Portage, not the OS, isn't functioning correctly) I doubt they would've gotten where they are. They would be laughed right off the page.

I do not need to bother myself with having to perform tricks to get portage to work. That is a bug, not a "feature" If it's broke the developers need to fix it (one would think).

Definition of a bug that I go by. This is a bug
I think what genome was getting at is that this isn't a new bug in portage. The problem has always existed, it is only now that portage is smart enough to detect it and let you know so you don't build borked binaries. Thus the problem you're perceiving is actually a bug fix that revealed a rather nasty situation in portage that has gone on for a while.

How to solve it? Probably something along the lines of what honemak was suggesting. I've seen a few posts claim this is an incredibly difficult problem to solve without intense calculations along all the possible permutations... but it doesn't take much to write something that will examine all such permutations, and to only do so when a circular dependency is detected. Simply building conflicts without any USE flags, then rebuilding with all requested won't always work.

Example.

Build KDE with no USE flags on a brand new system.

circular dependencies detected on doc, one package requires doc to be built to build packages that have the doc flag (catch 22). Now, without the doc flag, that package doesn't get built when you build KDE with no USE flags. Now you've finished building KDE, and try to re-emerge it (and all its dependencies) with your own USE flags... and get circular dependencies again.

The doc USE flag required other packages to be built, which were not built in the USE-stripped version. It's an ugly problem.
aka_iG
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8O

Can you imagine the hassle that is installing a new Gentoo box? :x

For now, and to avoid not compiling anything at all without fixing dependencies (which I really don't know how yet), I've downgraded portage to version 2.1.1-r2 .
At least for now I can compile <i>automatically</i> big part of system. Until portage is updated. I've tried to mask it but it's required the new version 2.1.2.2 for some dependency :?

Bottom line... this doesn't look good and I don't see a reasonable solution popping up very soon

Cheers,

"Most days I wake up thinking I'm the luckiest bastard alive."

Last edited by aka_iG on Thu Mar 08, 2007 5:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
KShots
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do know how much of a hassle that is with a new gentoo box. I went through it myself.

Once I understood the problem, I just resolved that I would likely have to build most portions of my system multiple times. My first step was to re-build the whole system with all USE flags stripped out (USE="-*" emerge --emptytree system), which gave me a very stripped down system. I then proceeded to emerge everything I wanted, also with all USE flags stripped out, then got lucky because the things I wanted, once installed, resolved the circular dependencies for the whole system, allowing me to rebuild it and the world with the USE flags I wanted. The whole process took several hours.

EDIT: I should also caveat that I don't exactly recommend this approach for anyone. I used it because I thought I could get a usable system before the bug was fixed (and I was right), but things could easily have gone horribly wrong, wasting a lot of my time in the process.
sheepdog
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unable to resolve circular dependencies in spite of removing all the use flags from the blocking packages:

Code:
goliath ~ # emerge -ua world

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating world dependencies |
... done!
[ebuild     U ] kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.5-r9 [3.5.5-r8] USE="-alsa* -arts* -cups* -doc* -fam* -spell* -ssl* -xinerama*"
[ebuild     U ] app-portage/gentoolkit-0.2.3 [0.2.2]
[ebuild     U ] net-misc/ntp-4.2.4-r1 [4.2.2_p3]
[ebuild     U ] dev-db/libpq-8.0.12 [8.0.9]
[ebuild     U ] media-video/kmplayer-0.9.3a [0.9.3]
[blocks B     ] >=kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.4-r2 (is blocking kde-base/kde-env-3-r4)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kde-env (is blocking kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.5-r9, kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.5-r8)

Code:

goliath ~ # equery u kdelibs
[ Searching for packages matching kdelibs... ]
[ Colour Code : set unset ]
[ Legend        : Left column  (U) - USE flags from make.conf                     ]
[                  : Right column (I) - USE flags packages was installed with ]
[ Found these USE variables for kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.5-r8 ]
 U I
 - - acl                 : Adds support for Access Control Lists
 - + alsa                : Adds support for media-libs/alsa-lib (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture)
 - + arts                : Adds support for aRts: the KDE sound daemon
 - - avahi               : Add avahi/Zeroconf support
 - + cups                : Add support for CUPS (Common Unix Printing System)
 - - debug               : Enable extra debug codepaths, like asserts and extra output. If you want to get meaningful backtraces see http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/qa/backtraces.xml .
 - + doc                 : Adds extra documentation (API, Javadoc, etc)
 - - elibc_FreeBSD       : <unknown>
 - + fam                 : Enable FAM (File Alteration Monitor) support
 - - jpeg2k              : Support for JPEG 2000, a wavelet-based image compression format.
 - - kdeenablefinal      : EXPERIMENTAL: KDE ebuilds will use the enable-final flag, yielding big compilation speedups at the cost of heavy mem usage.
 - - kdehiddenvisibility : Makes KDE symbols hidden by default, requires GCC 4.1 (experimental)
 - - kerberos            : Adds kerberos support
 + + kernel_linux        : <unknown>
 - - legacyssl           : Support for some deprecated ciphers. Don't use this flag unless you really need it.
 - - linguas_he          : <unknown>
 - - lua                 : Enable Lua scripting support
 - - openexr             : Support for the OpenEXR graphics file format
 - + spell               : Adds dictionary support
 - + ssl                 : Adds support for Secure Socket Layer connections
 - - tiff                : Adds support for the tiff image format
 - - utempter            : Records everytime a user logins in. Useful on multi-user systems.
 - + xinerama            : Add support for the xinerama X11 extension, which allows you to stretch your display across multiple monitors
 - - zeroconf            : Support for DNS Service Discovery (DNS-SD).

Code:
goliath ~ # equery u kde-env
[ Searching for packages matching kde-env... ]
[ Colour Code : set unset ]
[ Legend        : Left column  (U) - USE flags from make.conf                     ]
[                  : Right column (I) - USE flags packages was installed with ]
[ No USE flags found for kde-base/kde-env-3-r4]

This is not a problem with a single sync. It has persisted over several weeks. Any suggestions, please?
UncleOwen
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sheepdog wrote:
Unable to resolve circular dependencies in spite of removing all the use flags from the blocking packages:

Code:
[blocks B     ] >=kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.4-r2 (is blocking kde-base/kde-env-3-r4)
[blocks B     ] kde-base/kde-env (is blocking kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.5-r9, kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.5-r8)

Nothing to do with circular dependencies.

Quote:
This is not a problem with a single sync. It has persisted over several weeks. Any suggestions, please?

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-544914-highlight-kdeenv.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-531165-highlight-kdeenv.html
https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-499984-highlight-kdeenv.html
djinnZ
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: How to break dependency cycles Reply with quote

zmedico wrote:
Generally, dependency cycles can be broken by disabling USE flags. For example, in order to break the following cycle:
app-text/ghostscript-gpl-8.54 -> net-print/cups-1.2.6 -> net-libs/gnutls-1.4.4-r1 -> dev-libs/lzo-2.02-r1 -> dev-lang/nasm-0.98.39-r3 -> app-text/ghostscript-gpl-8.54
Temporarily add the following to /etc/portage/package.use:
Code:
=dev-lang/nasm-0.98.39-r3 -doc

Just a question:

I have a working full installed gentoo, my aproach to the USE flag settings is to set all the use flag in make.conf and the excepions (disabling an use for a specific package, -theads for tcl by example).
The negative conseguence is as I think to reinstall binary packages from a new stage3 and start direclty with the full use settings (with a copy of make.conf and /etc/portage).

Is possible to report every circular dependency on the full installed system?
zmedico
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: How to break dependency cycles Reply with quote

InfoManiac wrote:
Real simple, it's broke (Portage), I am supposed to use a keyword of my choice so I can get that added into whatever supports it. That's not happening, I am getting errors. Something needs fixing.

After portage-2.1.2-r9 was marked stable, it became clear that the circular dependency handling wasn't friendly enough (no bugs were filed about it during the long period of time that it was in testing). I'm sorry about any inconvenience that this may have caused for our users. The circular dependency handling in portage-2.1.2.2 should be much more friendly, and that version has now been marked stable.

djinnZ wrote:

Currently there's no emerge option that displays all circular dependencies on an installed system. I don't fully understand why you want that information. Could you clarify?
InfoManiac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: RE: -uDN cauing the problem Reply with quote

Currently I had been trying "emerge -uDN" on either world or system and that's where the problem is consistent for me.

If I just use emerge with no options and world /system after it then it will emerge the packages.

So this would tell us that it has something to do with using the deep argument (and for my system) when "doc" support is being requested, emerging a new clean system.

Not sure if that helps in the process of solving this but if we can narrow this down, the problem can be solved with greater certainty.
zmedico
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: RE: -uDN cauing the problem Reply with quote

InfoManiac wrote:
So this would tell us that it has something to do with using the deep argument (and for my system) when "doc" support is being requested, emerging a new clean system.

We need to know the specific dependency cycles that you're experiencing, so you'll have to post the exact emerge output (use portage-2.1.2.2).
InfoManiac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 12:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before I had written a reply, I had just emerged without using Deep argument, so I won't have any problems since the system will be completely emerged and after which I no longer experience any problems with using "doc" keyword or using deep argument passed to Portage, so I do regret that I had not posted that here before that, but I got sick of dealing with it and since not passing deep allows a successfully merge, I figured eff-it

This is odd because if I have a system that is clean, and the first time an emerge to world or system is performed with the deep argument passed to it, troubles start.

If I have anymore problems I will post what I can here, sorry that I hadn't.
djinnZ
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How to break dependency cycles Reply with quote

zmedico wrote:
djinnZ wrote:

Currently there's no emerge option that displays all circular dependencies on an installed system. I don't fully understand why you want that information. Could you clarify?

My goal for now is to create a package.use file (or more than one) to disable the use flags starting circular dependency in case of automated rebuilding from stage3 with the same make.conf (or better the same USE settings in make.conf) of the full installation.
zmedico
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: How to break dependency cycles Reply with quote

djinnZ wrote:
My goal for now is to create a package.use file (or more than one) to disable the use flags starting circular dependency in case of automated rebuilding from stage3 with the same make.conf (or better the same USE settings in make.conf) of the full installation.

Given the dynamic nature of the portage tree, unless you restrict yourself to a specific snapshot of the tree, any dependency calculation that you do now may not be valid at a later time. For example, the nasm cycle described here no longer exists because the dependencies have since been corrected to indicate that lzo-2.02-r1 does not require nasm as a build-time dependency (it can use gas instead).

Anyway, it might be interesting to have a tool that analyzes the portage tree for circular dependencies. For now, the easiest solution is to simply extract a stage3 and attempt to build the desired world set with `emerge -p $(< world_file)`. You will probably only need to adjust the flags for a few packages (if any). When installing from binary packages it is improbable that you will encounter circular dependency problems since build-time dependencies are the ones that are most likely to lead to cycles.
InfoManiac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose what might also be a good sub-topic is to add to the documentation describing the keywords and give examples of what gets installed by things like "doc" and who will actually get any use out of it like "non-developers will have no use for this" give it a description like the Debian team does and make it 100% clear what each keyword is intended for which audience, who should use it, things like that.

I say this because I will be 100% honest with you. I don't really know what this keyword installs, and if I am really getting use of it at all.

I figured "..well 'doc' that's good, I do want documentation in case I need reference or help,etc."

This would take down two problems at once. First being actual clarity of USE keywords (with the type of details mentioned above) and if it were a keyword only devs need, then they'd be able to fix it and since they would be the only ones using it it wouldn't bother a non-dev. And they'd be able to work on dev-only flags more efficiently.

It's obvious that "doc" is one example of this happening, but I think it will cut down on keywords most of use and don't really need, want, etc.
zmedico
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

InfoManiac wrote:
I figured "..well 'doc' that's good, I do want documentation in case I need reference or help,etc."

In general, the docs that tell you how to use a given package are included even with USE="doc" disabled.

$ egrep '^doc ' /usr/portage/profiles/use.desc
doc - Adds extra documentation (API, Javadoc, etc)

According to the official description, installation of "extra documentation" is what the global doc flag controls.
InfoManiac
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, yeah, I know that -- but _what_ type of documentation is being installed?

You're already telling me something I already know, and is readily available from just about anywhere on the gentoo.org or gentoo-wiki site, but that doesn't help, I do not know *what* is being installed.

These keywords need clarity, these things need more specifics. A simple brief description for these things just aren't going to cut it.

Wouldn't you like to be able to have a reference that is better that what is currently available, where you could read it and know 100% that you do / do not need that keyword, I mean _know_ if you need it.

That's the problem, we need to _know_ this stuff, it should say who the keywords are usefull for dev, non-dev as well as what it installs and a couple of examples of what is being installed, so you could get some examples what what it installs and say "oh...ok, I certainly don't need that"

I submitted a proposal for this.
Keywords Proposal: Need netter clarity

I can't see why anyone wouldn't want this, and be able to better understand these things. Because as it stands now only the developers (for the most part) are really going to know what these keywords do.

I should no have to become one or gain the skills of a developer to understand them either (as I do not plan to become a developer).
Genone
Retired Dev
Retired Dev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

InfoManiac wrote:
Well, yeah, I know that -- but _what_ type of documentation is being installed?

zmedico wrote:
(API, Javadoc, etc)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Portage & Programming All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: