silo on sparcstation5
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tmuehlhoff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: silo on sparcstation5 Reply with quote

hi all,

installed gentoo 1.4rc4 on ss5, everything seemed to work fine, had to compile kernel 2.4.20, because 2.4.18 wouldn't compile on sparc32 (cmp. www.ultralinux.org).

silo installed fine (it said) but the machine wont boot, silo tells me, old PROM version of SMCC isn't able to read from HDDs larger than 1GB, and i, for first try, gave the machine just one partition /dev/sda2 on which / should be mounted, and no separated /boot.

do i have to reinstall ? costs me some days, ss5 compiling is no fun! can i move partitions a bit ?

/// tomas
2thumbs
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't get the included version of silo to boot gentoo on my Ultra5 either. My fix was a bit el-lamo, but it does seem to work for me. I first installed Aurora Linux 1.0. The silo that comes with it seems to work. I installed it into a smallish 500MB partition (making sure to have a seperate 50MB or so boot partition). I booted into it and used the remaining space on the disk to install gentoo from a stage3 tarball.

Once I got to the kernel compile, I moved the kernel into Aurora's /boot partition and added a boot entry for the Gentoo installation to Aurora's silo.conf. Then I booted into Gentoo and recycled the base Aurora / partition for Gentoo. Works great. Although I'm sure that there's a nicer way to do it :)
Bryce Groff
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2003 8:05 pm    Post subject: I did the same thing Reply with quote

Unfortunatly I dont think that there is a way to move any files into the first gig without over writing something that is already there. I did the exact same thing and I had to redo my partion's. Also something to look out for is that you might encounter that silo cant read your /etc/silo.conf if it is also out side of the 1 gig marker. At least that happend to me with the ss5 prom. and no ss5 comiling isnt fun but so rewarding when its done : )

SparcStation5 70Mhz 64M RAM 9 gig SCSI Gentoo 1.4-RC4
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on Sparc All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: