Message during boot
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
taf1982
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Message during boot Reply with quote

During bootup I noticed on one of the lines it says FATAL: Could not open '/System.map': No such file or directory.
Why is it doing that and what can I do to fix it?
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think its benign. System.map comes from /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/. I haven't used that file since redhat.

cheers

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
taf1982
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:
i think its benign. System.map comes from /usr/src/linux/arch/i386/boot/. I haven't used that file since redhat.

cheers

So I should just ignore it?
bunder
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taf1982 wrote:
bunder wrote:

cheers

So I should just ignore it?

Sure, I do. :lol:

banned from #gentoo since sept 2017
taf1982
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:
Sure, I do. :lol:

Ok, thanks.

One less thing to worry about... :D
01mf02
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want that message to disappear, you can simply run "make install" from the kernel directory - this will put the "System.map" into your /boot directory (however, make sure that your /boot directory is mounted first!).
Naib
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bunder wrote:

cheers

err, system.map is in /usr/src/linux, not all the way to the bzimage

I always copy into /boot just to suppress that message
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

copy System.map to / then it will see the file.it is required for proc and dev folders.
ok
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a little bit confused.
Do I have to copy the System.map from /usr/src/linux/ or not? And if so, where should (have to?) it be?
And what is with the vmlinux file? Do i have to copy it, too?

Which files (System.map, vmlinux) will be used, if i have a copy of them in /boot, /, /usr/src/linux?

Half a year ago, i installed a different Linux Distribution on an additional partition and this one installed his own System.map in /boot, but i was still able to boot my Gentoo...
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sat Feb 24, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok wrote:
Do I have to copy the System.map from /usr/src/linux/ or not? And if so, where should (have to?) it be?
No, it doesn't need to be copied, the script which looks for it is /sbin/modules-update and it looks in /lib/modules/${KV}/build, /usr/src/linux-${KV}, /boot and /usr/src/linux — ${KV} is the kernel version, it will be replaced by "uname -r", 2.6.19-gentoo-r5 for instance.

There is no need to copy it to /, this is just a consequence of it failing to find it in the list above, it may not be used anyway ...
ok wrote:
And what is with the vmlinux file? Do i have to copy it, too?
No.
ok wrote:
Which files (System.map, vmlinux) will be used, if i have a copy of them in /boot, /, /usr/src/linux?
It will use the first System.map it finds in the sequence given above.
ok wrote:
Half a year ago, i installed a different Linux Distribution on an additional partition and this one installed his own System.map in /boot, but i was still able to boot my Gentoo...
It seems from the depmod manpage, that System.map is only used to display symbols in modules which cannot be resolved and that it is only used in concert with the "-e" argument. In modules-update, depmod is called with the "-a" argument alone so, probably, System.map isn't actually used at all.

For more on this subject, see https://bugs.gentoo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=165134
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
ok
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you wynn, now it is clearer for me.
i deleted the vmlinuz and the System.map files in /boot and restarted the computer without any error message.
taf1982
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did a search for System.map but it fould no file. I can't copy or delete what I don't have so I guess I'm stuck with that message during bootup.
padoor
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

System.map file is to be there in /usr/src/linux/
it will be there.
else you will have run make && make modules_install
the file has name with capital S starting
taf1982
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

padoor wrote:
System.map file is to be there in /usr/src/linux/
it will be there.
else you will have run make && make modules_install
the file has name with capital S starting

Edit: I checked and I don't even have a linux folder in /user/src so no System.map there. I tried to run make && make modules_install but it gave me these errors:

As root:
Code:
make *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.

As user:
Code:
make *** No rule to make target 'modules_install'. Stop.
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taf1982 wrote:
I checked and I don't even have a linux folder in /user/src so no System.map there. I tried to run make && make modules_install but it gave me these errors:

As root:
Code:

As user:
Code:
make *** No rule to make target 'modules_install'. Stop.
If you have run
Code:
emerge gentoo-sources
you will have something like
Code:
$ ls -l /usr/src
drwxr-xr-x 19 root root 4096 Feb 25 10:44 linux-2.6.19-gentoo-r5
/usr/src/linux is a symbolic link that packages which compile kernel modules outside the kernel tree require so that they can find the source for the running kernel.

You can add it yourself
Code:
cd /usr/src
ln -s linux-2.6.19-gentoo-r5 linux
In both these examples, "linux-2.6.19-gentoo-r5" is used but it may be different in your /usr/src depending (of course) on which gentoo-sources you emerge'd.

If you have not emerge'd gentoo-sources or you are just missing the symlink then "make && make modules_install" will give the errors you have posted.

[Edit] Aah, you're probably running the kernel you got after your Networkless Install — in which case you won't have any kernel source. The only purpose of modules-update is to refresh modules.conf and modules.dep: these have been copied from the LiveCD, you haven't been able to update anything, so modules-update has no work to do and you can ignore the "FATAL: " error message.
The avatar is jorma, a "duck" from "Elephants Dream": the film and all the production materials have been made available under a Creative Commons Attribution 2.5 License, see orange.blender.org for details.
taf1982
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wynn wrote:
Aah, you're probably running the kernel you got after your Networkless Install — in which case you won't have any kernel source. The only purpose of modules-update is to refresh modules.conf and modules.dep: these have been copied from the LiveCD, you haven't been able to update anything, so modules-update has no work to do and you can ignore the "FATAL: " error message.

You're right. I don't have any source. I can't download any either since I can't set up my dial-connection. It seems like my best (and possibly last) option to make my Gentoo useful is to get my CD-RW and DVD+-RW drives set up and working, then download everything I need on Windows, burn them onto CD-R, and then use them in Gentoo. I'm assuming that's possible. Or am I completely wrong?
wynn
Advocate
Advocate

PostPosted: Mon Feb 26, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

taf1982 wrote:
wynn wrote:
Aah, you're probably running the kernel you got after your Networkless Install — in which case you won't have any kernel source. The only purpose of modules-update is to refresh modules.conf and modules.dep: these have been copied from the LiveCD, you haven't been able to update anything, so modules-update has no work to do and you can ignore the "FATAL: " error message.
You're right. I don't have any source. I can't download any either since I can't set up my dial-connection. It seems like my best (and possibly last) option to make my Gentoo useful is to get my CD-RW and DVD+-RW drives set up and working, then download everything I need on Windows, burn them onto CD-R, and then use them in Gentoo. I'm assuming that's possible. Or am I completely wrong?
I realize it takes forever for you to download anything (could you buy a CD from CheapBytes or similar?) but another option is to find a distro which does run your dialup out of the box (IRC? Googling?), install that and then use it instead of the LiveCD to continue your Gentoo installation — or, perhaps, just get dialup working on it.

Otherwise yes — the only problem is knowing "everything I need" and I can't help you there.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Other Things Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: