Java Sun JDK 1.6 Empty forms
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wboelen5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 7:10 pm    Post subject: Java Sun JDK 1.6 Empty forms Reply with quote

Hi!

I just started an introductory Java class and I thought it would be neat if I could be programming in linux (since the college's preferred IDE, netbeans, is cross-platform). So I just emerged netbeans, but when I start it using the Sun JDK as 2nd gen VM I get an empty form. (I experienced this before, with limewire, but didn't associate it with java). Using the blackdown jre it works fine, except for the fact I need the more recent Java 1.6 :)

I'm posting this in the AMD64 forums since I think it's probably due to bad AMD64 support.
gami
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 6:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you using beryl or compiz by any chance? There is a known issue with recent versions of Java (1.6 and 1.5) and certain window managers. See the bug report for beryl and original problem at Sun's bug tracker for details. As a workaround, with Java 5 you can
Code:
export AWT_TOOLKIT=MToolkit
before starting your Java application. This does not seem to work with Java 6, though. An upcoming service release will at least contain a fix for compiz, if not for beryl...
wboelen5
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved (well not really, it's still a bug)! I was indeed using beryl, metacity works fine. Thanks :)
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo on AMD64 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: