my computer wont turn on
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
st. anger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 4:38 pm    Post subject: my computer wont turn on Reply with quote

whenever my comp is off for a while (like overnight) i cant turn it back on unless I:
1. switch off the power supply for 5 seconds then switch it back on
2. hold down the power button for 5 seconds

then i can turn it on just fine.
this has been going on since i got this new motherboard (2 months?)
its really beginning to annoy me. i have just gotten used to switching the power supply off whenever i shut down, but i dont wanna do that anymore.

my motherboard is a MSI K7N2G-L. i have noticed that the LAN lights stay on even when i shut down. i thought it might be some kind of wake on lan feature that was messing things up so i put it a spare NIC but the same thing happened. i have looked through my bios but i couldnt find anything relating to the problem
antik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: my computer wont turn on Reply with quote

xamn wrote:
whenever my comp is off for a while (like overnight) i cant turn it back on unless I:
1. switch off the power supply for 5 seconds then switch it back on
2. hold down the power button for 5 seconds

then i can turn it on just fine.
this has been going on since i got this new motherboard (2 months?)
its really beginning to annoy me. i have just gotten used to switching the power supply off whenever i shut down, but i dont wanna do that anymore.

my motherboard is a MSI K7N2G-L. i have noticed that the LAN lights stay on even when i shut down. i thought it might be some kind of wake on lan feature that was messing things up so i put it a spare NIC but the same thing happened. i have looked through my bios but i couldnt find anything relating to the problem

WOL works only when you have cable between lancard and motherboard. Try update BIOS. If this is not enough try with another PSU. Maybe your computer front panel cables not connected to right pins.

_____
sorry about my poor english.
st. anger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 12:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have the latest bios, and this is a new power supply. i double checked the cables and they are all connected to the correct pins.
antik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xamn wrote:
i have the latest bios, and this is a new power supply. i double checked the cables and they are all connected to the correct pins.

Then try old PSU! :idea:
Timm
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem with an Asus Board. It helped me to turn the box completly off when going to bed.
Malakin
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this problem before, at least it had the same symptoms, reversing one of the mobo connecters fixed it. Can't remember which one, was either the connector to the reset button or power button. By reverse I mean just turn it around so your + and - would be opposite the way it is now.
st. anger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Malakin wrote:
I've seen this problem before, at least it had the same symptoms, reversing one of the mobo connecters fixed it. Can't remember which one, was either the connector to the reset button or power button. By reverse I mean just turn it around so your + and - would be opposite the way it is now.

hmm, sounds interesting, ill try that one.
antik
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xamn wrote:
Malakin wrote:

hmm, sounds interesting, ill try that one.

antik wrote:
Maybe your computer front panel cables not connected to right pins.

You not payin' attention. :?
st. anger
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

youre right, i guess i wasnt payin attention
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: