Automated gentoo install script
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
razixx
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:24 pm    Post subject: Automated gentoo install script Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the right place to put this or not but someone should create an automated gentoo install script that simplifies, speedsup, and still gives the end user all the freedom of choice, compile options, profiles, etc etc. Every other distro out there has this, I mean you'd still have to know some stuff, but it would sure make things alot quicker! Anyone agree or disagree? An install disk that would be similar to that of say Freebsd.
cassiol
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hellooo

i never use but exist Gentoo Linux Installer. maybe help you http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/releng/installer/index.xml
d2_racing
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is so much different configuration, programming this kind of thing should takes a lot of time and effort.

Gentoo is about of choices, so it may be possible, but at what cost ?
cwr
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not as easy as it sounds; I've always installed Gentoo from Stage 3 (I tried an
early version of the CLI "automatic" and it bit me) and I suppose it now takes
a couple of hours to edit partitions, unpack the stage 3 files and configure the
various bits of the system that need configuring. Then I have a couple of
scripts that compile the rest of the system. I can't see much of that being
automated, since a lot of the stuff I do, USE flags and so on, is specific to
my installation; an "automated" installer would have to pass so many decisions
on to the user that it would just end up confusing rather than helping.

Will
Kaste
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: Automated gentoo install script Reply with quote

razixx wrote:
Not sure if this is the right place to put this or not but someone should create an automated gentoo install script that simplifies, speedsup, and still gives the end user all the freedom of choice, compile options, profiles, etc etc. Every other distro out there has this, I mean you'd still have to know some stuff, but it would sure make things alot quicker! Anyone agree or disagree? An install disk that would be similar to that of say Freebsd.

Where's the fun in that?
On a more serious note. After completing something like the 20th install of gentoo, I don't wait on anything anymore. I now know which files to edit when, skip ahead in the manual and parallelize things that i know can be done safely. I only take very little more time than i need to decide what i actually want (and then i leave it alone to compile and come back when everything is done). Trust me there is nothing to be gained by something like this script. If you have a little more experience the only way you could safe more time is by losing choice.
StoneC0ld
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made one while I was still a tech support at a now-defunct hosting company hosting virtual servers... I was developing a bash script (actually, a combination of scripts) to do a complete stage3 install.... Basically, it follows the manual handbook install, just asks for the information it needs and automates the install process, in order to allow us to offer Gentoo on the virtual servers.... Virtual hardware was always going to be the same, USE flags would always be the same, so it would just download a pre-made kernel .config file and generate a common make.conf file.

Because of that, I don't think it'd convert to a "one-size-fits-all" script with customizeability for your individual hardware setup and USE flag requirements and other configuration preferences...
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: