101 things that I can do on my Gentoo sytem . (:
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cravengemetzel
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 4:40 pm    Post subject: 101 things that I can do on my Gentoo sytem . (: Reply with quote

The purpose of this thread is to have fun, and also, to share various ideas/tricks/tips/what-have-you that you might have learned over the time of your acquaintance with Gentoo, specifically . ^^

Let me share an first one, however obvious it might be, I can compile my entire system to work with my video card by specifying in my /etc/make.conf VIDEO_CARDS="fglrx" .
This makes me very happy, as I do not need to make sure that the appropriate modules for my video card are installed and loaded, like in most other DIY distributions - Gentoo does that for me . It even installed the ATI Catalyst Control Center for me without my even asking it to .
Telemin
l33t
l33t

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2: Have a gcc+gfortran toolchain which is up to date and working without stress, fuss, and faff. Essential for me as a physicist to be able to compile all the necessary software packages I use which are too obscure to ever make it into any distribution's package manager.

3: Repeatedly build packages from CVS easily, by writing custom ebuilds to do it for me which can be cron'd.
Ant P.
Watchman
Watchman

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

4. I can install a desktop environment to a chroot, throw its /usr in a squashfs, and copy it to a USB stick to have a fully functional GUI with minimal effort and only 400MB used. That number might seem unimpressive at first, but I didn't use this for a minimal desktop - it was full KDE.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Documentation, Tips & Tricks All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: