Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[SOLVED] USE flag 'gcj' and C compiler (gcc)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Model299
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] USE flag 'gcj' and C compiler (gcc) Reply with quote

Hello,
Ive been working with gentoo for some time, actually I bought a sticker, too. Those were the days.

Anyhow I was wondering if there were any plans for a graphical (ncurses maybe?) interface to set USE flags in make.conf
Here's why.

I've compiled twice in the past couple days to build a multimedia workstation that will hopefully run cinelerra. The first time, it worked but I didnt set any USE flags hardly because I was just testing the install for a more complete install later. This time, I ran ufed and set up the USE flags for the dependencies for video editing, and I'm not sure how but 'gcj' snuck in there. I'm not running with ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~x86" or anything. It's just so difficult to go through the list of USE flags and not screw it up. Anyhow, every time I compile with this use flag, the system fails at some point and so I'll check the libraries with revdep-rebuild. The compiler is broken, theres a problem with the gcj libraries. After building gcc 4.1.1-r3 a couple times, I decided to remove the gcj USE flag, which I probably didnt need anyhow (hopefully). So in all honesty I was hoping someone would be working on a better way to set the USE="" variable in make.conf

I wish I had a more complete bug report for you, but since the system is not running there wasnt any way to copy the file. The point at which the system fails is when running m4 for autom4te for aclocal, after I update the system. Anyhow the bug is not likely to be reproducable except with this combination of USE flags.

I figured it would be important to profile a systems USE flags for its intended use. Every time I have installed gentoo, I've spent a couple hours here and there running ufed to set the USE flags. This takes a long time because there are so many and i have to decide what the application for the system will be, and then try to grok which USE flags suit that application for this system. I figured this could be simplified by just having a front end shell maybe with a framebuffer that would allow you to select a USE flag profile based on the more common uses and necessary tools for that use.

If youve read this far here is my advice. Them most common errors I see once a person gets past installing is when building the system, and not having the correct dependencies or USE flags set. I do suggest running ufed (emerge ufed) upon installing the system, but be careful which options you actually need because well, any one of these combinations of USE flags can break your system. The other advice is, well if your emerge -uD system doesnt work for some reason (and it is still wise to update the software unless on the heels of a new gentoo release) it's probably a USE flag.

to the devs: is there a better way to set the USE variable? is that what the GTK+ installer is?

Thank you.

Last edited by Model299 on Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:34 am; edited 1 time in total
baigsabeeh
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Set universal, system-wide USE flags in the make.conf, then define USE flags on a per package basis in /etc/portage/package.use.

For example, I needed to enable the plugins flag for Thunar, so I added this entry to my /etc/portage/package.use file after running "emerge -pv thunar":

Code:
xfce-base/thunar plugins

As for the GCJ USE flag, GCJ is broken, which is why it fails to build. GNU is planning to merge ECJ into GCC as a replacement for GCJ. You should remove it from your make.conf, which is where your USE flags if I'm assuming correctly. Then, if you need a Java compiler, you should emerge eclipse-ecj instead. On my system, I don't have GCJ installed as it won't install, but ECJ is installed, and every Java compilation that I've needed to do has completed succesfully, so I'm assuming once again that Portage defaults to ECJ.

Going back to the main question, you shouldn't have that many self-defined system-wide USE flags anyway. For a multimedia machine, I'd add in flags for whatever desktop environment you are using if there is a flag for it, Xorg, media formats, and basic features. That's about it.
Model299
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks.

I knew about package.use, but in my view, that file makes things even more difficult. If there were only some way to generate the files.

Anyhow thanks for the advice. I started out only selecting media formats for the use variable, then I needed things for GDM and for PAM and all sorts of other packages. As for GCJ, it's odd, that used to work I thought. Anyhow I thought I should update this post.

I discovered that app-crypt/kth-krb is broken which is installed with the KRB4 USE flag. something about aclocal not running. Removing GCJ did fix the compiler though, and it was only the java libraries which were broken so I was able to recompile it.

Anyhow if and when I get the system running I'll copy the kernel config and the make.conf so that it could be inspected more closely. the 2.6.19 kernel is ok, and its the best for PATA drives. However, the PCI driver in it likes to complain about pci_subsys being called while pci is still empty. hmm?

Here are the system specs.
Tiger i7505 s2668 Tyan Mainboard
AGP Pro, Ac'97, e1000pro.
Promise TX2 SATA/PATA adaptor
2x Xeon 2.4Ghz HT CPU

I'm not using the ICH4 IDE ports save for the DVD-R.

Thanks.
madisonicus
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are several different USE flag management CLI programs that you might look into: app-portage/euse, app-portage/ufed, app-portage/flagedit, and probably others. Check in app-portage.

There is also app-portage/profuse. It professes to be what you're looking for, though I have not used it:
Quote:
Profuse is a full featured USE flag editor for Gentoo Linux, with no less than 3 different front ends: dialog, ncurses and gtk2. Profuse understands cascading profiles, and can run on a specified profile directory and make.conf path. The GUIs are optional and detected at run-time (i.e., there are no hard dependencies). The dialog GUI is very similar to ufed's so that ufed users don't get lost. Profuse is also a lot of fun to code. It's GPL2 of course. Profuse's goal is to replace ufed.

HTH,
m
Samsung x360
AMD64 x2 4200+ * TF7050-M2 * HTPC
ZOTAC ION A-U Mini-ITX * HTPC
Model299
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Fri Feb 02, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: [SOLVED] gcj and USE flags Reply with quote

Thanks.
This might be terminology for use only when constructing this website, or another, but searching the database for software online, would have earlier solved this issue. However, I wasnt aware the software was available. You see a lot of times when installing this type of system, I would not have had another system to use to communicate on.

My system is configured to build from source, and that is awesome, however when I tell it what software to use it goes AWOL. A lot of packages arent used without placing USE flags into the system, and often times I need that software, but I won't know it. The emerge program keeps a nifty database of everything I might need, but it's never aware of what I'm trying to accomplish without USE flags.

I'm suggesting that the software maintain a database of potential configurations, based on thier use. I think that's what this software will do. Thanks again.

Just building this system is an adventure though, perhaps if one of these packages were placed on the install cd, it would make the system more end-user friendly. The reason that would be important would be so that people become aware of gentoo as an option for installing an operating system. With commercial packages, like SusE, everything is compiled on a disk, and can be installed easily. With Gentoo, this would be like keeping a binary backup or a tarball of the entire file system, for replacement only on that exact same system. The only thing that a front-end on the install disk will do is set the configuration files, and maybe copy the base system to begin compiling the desktop system. I think that would be cool if I had several server blades or virtual systems to set up, you see because I could copy that system image to another similar system. But I dont have several server blades to set up and I like to use gentoo on several different systems. Keep in mind that the average linux user can compile a kernel image, and that the system only needs to be as simple as something like menuconfig, so I would suggest if I might that the install CD image contain one of these programs that will configure the system based on it's usage, so that the end-user can get a high performance, custom, and differentially compiled system only having some idea of what the system will do. This system also installs on multiple platforms and doesnt use binary install disks. Gentoo is the way to go, and I think that this idea will help it.

UPDATE: right now I'm speaking to you from a working video editing console.
Issue is solved.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Installing Gentoo All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: