Printer problems...related to ???
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware
View previous topic :: View next topic  
darkphoenix16
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 2:30 am    Post subject: Printer problems...related to ??? Reply with quote

Hi, I have been trying to get my printer working with cups and gimp-print-cups for a while. I have a Z45 printer using Z42 drivers. My printer starts up fine, prints the test page for some amount of time, the longest has been half-way. Then the printing stops and the light on the printer flashes. My cups log has a "Media tray empty" error which doesnt help. I had this working in mandrake 9.

My before /var/log/messages:
May 12 23:15:01 localhost kernel: printer.c: usblp0: USB Bidirectional printer dev 7 if 0 alt 0 proto 2 vid 0x043D pid 0x005C
May 12 23:15:01 localhost kernel: printer.c: v0.11: USB Printer Device Class driver

So, im thinking that something is interupting the printing. At one time I had this error afterwards:
May 12 23:03:59 localhost kernel: spurious 8259A interrupt: IRQ7.

Cups continues to send data to the device...but nothing prints.

Im using the gaming-sources, could this be usb driver related?

I don't think it is a cups problem because it continues to send data and no errors are reported. It's as if the device shuts down. the printer module is still in use. and cat /dev/usb/lp0 gives the usual device or resource busy message.

My usb mouse works.

cat test.txt > /dev/usb/lp0 produces nothing. Using drv_z42 does nothing as well. Once the print "finishes". I can send another test page, but nothing happens. Also, if I pause the print job, turn the printer off and the on, then resume the print job, the printer starts where it left off for another few moments.

my printers.conf file is:
# Printer configuration file for CUPS v1.1.19rc4
# Written by cupsd on Mon May 12 22:23:40 2003
<DefaultPrinter Z45>
Info
State Idle
Accepting Yes
JobSheets none none
QuotaPeriod 0
PageLimit 0
KLimit 0
</Printer>

I hope someone can help me.

Thanks,
Colin

[/b]
darkphoenix16
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2003 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just changed the URI to file:/dev/usb/lp0 it worked for 3/4 of the page, then got stuck :( I was about to let you know I got it working too. I must have jinxed myself
darkphoenix16
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I went to the lexmark site and the light flashing refers to "The carrier has lost its location on the print path." Im almost 100% sure that the data being sent to the printer though usb is being lost, misdirected or corrupted. Does anyone know anything that I can do to monitor the transmission?

Colin
darkphoenix16
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so you know, Vanilla sources didnt change anything...
darkphoenix16
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so people reading this know. I think the problem is that although the Z42 drivers give correct output for the Z45 printer, the Z45 printer does not use the same engineering as the Z42. This then causes unpredictable results when using a driver that kinda is compatible for a printer...this is what is causing unpredictable results..namely printer halting. If any one disagrees, please let me know
darkphoenix16
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed May 14, 2003 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just so people reading this know. I think the problem is that although the Z42 drivers give correct output for the Z45 printer, the Z45 printer does not use the same engineering as the Z42. This then causes unpredictable results when using a driver that kinda is compatible for a printer...this is what is causing unpredictable results..namely printer halting. If any one disagrees, please let me know
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Kernel & Hardware All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: