Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
www-servers/mongrel blocks amarok 1.4.4-r3?
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Tonglebeak
Guru
Guru


Joined: 23 Mar 2006
Posts: 362

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:08 pm    Post subject: www-servers/mongrel blocks amarok 1.4.4-r3? Reply with quote

Code:
h4x0r aaron # emerge -C mongrel && emerge -uNDpv world

--- Couldn't find 'mongrel' to unmerge.

>>> No packages selected for removal by unmerge

These are the packages that would be merged, in order:

Calculating world dependencies... done!
[blocks B     ] www-servers/mongrel (is blocking media-sound/amarok-1.4.4-r3)
[ebuild  N    ] dev-ruby/rubygems-0.9.0-r2  171 kB
[ebuild  N    ] dev-ruby/fastthread-0.5.3.1  USE="-doc" 19 kB
[ebuild  N    ] dev-ruby/rake-0.7.1  USE="-doc" 147 kB
[ebuild  N    ] dev-ruby/cgi_multipart_eof_fix-1.0.0  USE="-doc" 6 kB
[ebuild  N    ] dev-ruby/daemons-0.4.4  USE="-doc" 27 kB
[ebuild  N    ] dev-ruby/gem_plugin-0.2.2  USE="-doc" 41 kB
[ebuild  N    ] www-servers/mongrel-1.0  USE="-doc" 156 kB
[ebuild     U ] dev-python/pyopengl-2.0.1.09-r1 [2.0.1.09] USE="-doc%" 2,130 kB
[ebuild     U ] media-libs/libgphoto2-2.3.1-r1 [2.3.1] USE="hal nls -doc -exif" CAMERAS="-adc65 -agfa-cl20 -aox -barbie -canon -casio -clicksmart310 -digigr8 -digita -dimera -directory -enigma13 -fuji -gsmart300 -hp215 -iclick -jamcam -jd11 -kodak -konica -largan -lg_gsm -mars -minolta -mustek -panasonic -pccam300 -pccam600 -polaroid -ptp2 -ricoh -samsung -sierra -sipix -smal -sonix -sonydscf1 -sonydscf55 -soundvision -spca50x -sq905 -stv0674 -stv0680 -sx330z -template -toshiba" 0 kB
[ebuild     U ] kde-base/kdelibs-3.5.6-r1 [3.5.6] USE="alsa cups kdeenablefinal kdehiddenvisibility spell ssl tiff -acl -arts -avahi -debug -doc -fam -jpeg2k -kerberos -legacyssl -lua -openexr -utempter -xinerama -zeroconf" LINGUAS="-he" 0 kB
[ebuild     U ] kde-base/kdebase-startkde-3.5.6-r1 [3.5.6] USE="kdeenablefinal -arts -debug -xinerama" 0 kB
[ebuild     U ] kde-base/kpdf-3.5.6-r1 [3.5.6] USE="kdeenablefinal -arts -debug -xinerama" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/xine-lib-1.1.3  USE="X aac alsa directfb dts dvd fbcon gtk ipv6 mad nls opengl sdl speex truetype vorbis xv -a52 -aalib (-altivec) -arts -debug -dxr3 -esd -flac -gnome -imagemagick -libcaca -mmap -mng -modplug -oss -pulseaudio -theora -v4l -vcd (-vidix) (-win32codecs) -xinerama -xvmc (-samba%)" 0 kB
[ebuild     U ] media-sound/amarok-1.4.4-r4 [1.4.4-r3] USE="aac kde opengl visualization -arts -debug -ifp -ipod -mtp -musicbrainz -mysql -njb -noamazon -postgres (-real) -xinerama" LINGUAS="-af -ar -az -bg -br -ca -cs -cy -da -de -el -en_GB -es -et -fi -fr -ga -gl -he -hi -hu -is -it -ja -ka -km -ko -lt -ms -nb -nl -nn -pa -pl -pt -pt_BR -ro -ru -rw -sk -sl -sq -sr -sr@Latn -sv -ta -tg -th -tr -uk -uz -zh_CN -zh_TW" 0 kB

Total: 14 packages (6 upgrades, 7 new, 1 reinstall, 1 block), Size of downloads: 2,695 kB
h4x0r aaron # emerge -Cp mongrel

>>> These are the packages that would be unmerged:

--- Couldn't find 'mongrel' to unmerge.

>>> No packages selected for removal by unmerge
h4x0r aaron # emerge -uND amarok
Calculating dependencies... done!

!!! Error: the www-servers/mongrel package conflicts with another package;
!!!        the two packages cannot be installed on the same system together.
!!!        Please use 'emerge --pretend' to determine blockers.

For more information about Blocked Packages, please refer to the following
section of the Gentoo Linux x86 Handbook (architecture is irrelevant):

http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?full=1#blocked

h4x0r aaron #


What's going on here? I don't have mongrel installed...does amarok depend on this or something? And if so, why is the dependency...GAHHHH


Last edited by Tonglebeak on Tue Jan 30, 2007 6:05 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dan
Veteran
Veteran


Joined: 25 Oct 2005
Posts: 1301

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

add the -t option to help you determine what package is pulling in mongrel.
emerge -uDNtvp world
_________________
- Failure is not an option. It's bundled with your software.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Benson
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 23 Feb 2004
Posts: 156
Location: Switzerland

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a typo in the amarok-build: it should be:
Code:
RDEPEND="${RDEPEND}
        !www-servers/mongrel"

The exclamation-point is missing in the amarok-1.4.4-r3.ebuild :wink:

cheers,
Benson
_________________
If it compiles, commit to CVS.
If it links, ship to customer.
If it runs without bugs, ..., nah, never had that case.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cyberpatrol
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 18 Sep 2003
Posts: 161
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benson wrote:
The exclamation-point is missing in the amarok-1.4.4-r3.ebuild :wink:

Don't you mean the amarok-1.4.4-r4.ebuild?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
i92guboj
Moderator
Moderator


Joined: 30 Nov 2004
Posts: 9755
Location: Córdoba (Spain)

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are getting confused, as you can see in the error, mongrel blocks with r3, but not with r4. Just uninstall r3 before proceeding to emerge r4, and all should be fine.

EDIT, Amarok depends on mongrel since r4, with r3 you dont need it, why it blocks r3 is a mistery to me anyway.

The reason why amarok now depends on ruby and mongrel, amongst many others, is also unknown to me, but it is because of new features for sure.


Last edited by i92guboj on Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cyberpatrol
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 18 Sep 2003
Posts: 161
Location: Germany

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 2:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Filed a bug report.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dhallas
n00b
n00b


Joined: 22 Sep 2004
Posts: 20
Location: Denmark

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you read the bottom of the ebuild it kind of makes sense why Amarok depends on Mongrel:
Quote:

src_install() {
kde_src_install

# As much as I respect Ian, I'd rather leave Amarok to use mongrel
# from Portage, for security and policy reasons.
rm -rf "${D}"/usr/share/apps/amarok/ruby_lib/rbconfig \
"${D}"/usr/share/apps/amarok/ruby_lib/mongrel* \
"${D}"/usr/share/apps/amarok/ruby_lib/rubygems* \
"${D}"/usr/share/apps/amarok/ruby_lib/gem* \
"${D}"/usr/$(get_libdir)/ruby_lib
}


Mongrel appears to be a www server for Ruby, so it is probably used for scripting etc.

To emerge Amarok i had to add the following to my /etc/portage/package.keywords file:
Code:

www-servers/mongrel ~x86
=dev-ruby/fastthread-0.5.3.1 ~x86
=dev-ruby/gem_plugin-0.2.2 ~x86
=dev-ruby/cgi_multipart_eof_fix-1.0.0 ~x86

_________________
Cheers

David
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
robnotts
Guru
Guru


Joined: 15 Mar 2004
Posts: 405
Location: Nottingham, UK

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I suggest you read flameeys blog for 28 January 2007 for the reason?
http://planet.gentoo.org/

But unmerge the -r3 version, add the appropriate packages to /etc/portage/packages.keywords and emerge the -r4 version.

Code:
=media-sound/amarok-1.4.4*              ~x86
=www-servers/mongrel-1.0*               ~x86
=dev-ruby/fastthread-0.5.3*             ~x86
=dev-ruby/gem_plugin-0.2*               ~x86
=dev-ruby/cgi_multipart_eof_fix-1.0*    ~x86


Rob.
_________________
---

Gentoo Phenom][ X4 955 on AMD790 + Geforce 220GT 8GB/1.75TB (Desktop)
+ MythTV (3xFreeview,1xFreesat HD) on 1080p
Gentoo Turion64 X2 Geforce 6150 2GB/120GB (Laptop)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Benson
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 23 Feb 2004
Posts: 156
Location: Switzerland

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after syncing today it's working without the exclamation point in the r4 ebuild - maybe the mongrel ebuild didn't had the necessary keywords when i first tried to emerge the new amarok ebuild...

Quote:
28 Jan 2007; Diego Pettenò <flameeyes@gentoo.org> mongrel-1.0.ebuild:
Add ~amd64 and ~x86-fbsd keywords.

_________________
If it compiles, commit to CVS.
If it links, ship to customer.
If it runs without bugs, ..., nah, never had that case.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cerebus_k
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Jun 2003
Posts: 173
Location: Flower Mound, Texas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benson wrote:
Well, after syncing today it's working without the exclamation point in the r4 ebuild - maybe the mongrel ebuild didn't had the necessary keywords when i first tried to emerge the new amarok ebuild...


Hmm, I just sync'd and amarok-1.4.4-r3 still blocks on mongrel so I decided to try and understand the problem. From what I've been able to piece together (mostly reading this forum post and the links provided).


  • amarok-1.4.4-r3 shipped with it's own copy of mongrel (read this on flameeyes blog referenced above).
  • amarok-1.4.4-r3 ebuild blocks mongrel from being installed via portage. That's because there's
    Code:

    RDEPEND="${RDEPEND}
            !www-servers/mongrel

    in the amarok-1.4.4-r3 ebuild. I am assuming this is because it's shipping and installing it's own version of mongrel.
  • amarok-1.4.4-r4 stops installing it's own version of mongrel and uses the one in portage. That means it now requires mongrel to be installed (via portage) instead of requiring it not to be installed.
  • Since installed versions of amarok-1.4.4-r3 says mongrel must not be installed any ebuild trying to install mongrel will get a "blocks" error msg when trying to emerge the package trying to install mongrel


So, since amarok-1.4.4-r4 is now trying to install mongrel and I have amarok-1.4.4-r3 I get the "blocks" error message.

Also, apparently mongrel is not the only package that amarok-1.4.4-r3 had bundled with it's install. After uninstalling amarok-1.4.4-r3 and doing an emerge amarok (that pulls in amarok-1.4.4-r4), I see that 5 other packages will be installed.
_________________
Gettin old isn't for wimps
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cerebus_k
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Jun 2003
Posts: 173
Location: Flower Mound, Texas

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm now having trouble emerging amarok-1.4.4-r4 failing in a dependency ebuild of fastthread. From reading:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-453470-highlight-fastthread.html

and the bug report it referenced it appears this ebuild error I'm seeing is caused by the lastest coreutils moving things around and I guess fastthread not being able to find it (in this case /bin/install?).
_________________
Gettin old isn't for wimps
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
pcfreak85
n00b
n00b


Joined: 11 Feb 2005
Posts: 43

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:00 pm    Post subject: [SOLVED] mongrel (is blocking media-sound/amarok-1.4.4-r4) Reply with quote

Hi!

I used exactly the same method to get this solved.
Edit the ebuild and add "!" before mongrel package and the issue is solved.

detailed howto: http://www.andreas-schneider.eu/?postid=27

with best regards,

andreas
_________________
Gentoo is 1337!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ateo
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 02 Jun 2003
Posts: 2019
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just removed the RDEPEND line with the mongrel requirement. Works fine for me. It would be nice if the amarok ebuild dev would actually tells us why he/she thinks mongrel is *needed*....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dfn_doe
n00b
n00b


Joined: 29 Jan 2007
Posts: 1

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ateo wrote:
It would be nice if the amarok ebuild dev would actually tells us why he/she thinks mongrel is *needed*....


Ain't that the truth...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spielc
Guru
Guru


Joined: 20 Apr 2004
Posts: 451

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dfn_doe wrote:
Ateo wrote:
It would be nice if the amarok ebuild dev would actually tells us why he/she thinks mongrel is *needed*....


Ain't that the truth...


From flameyes blogentry:

flameeyes wrote:

...
Another change that is going to take by surprise a lot of users today is that amarok, both 1.4.4-r4 release and 9999-r1 (this is to force people to rebuild), now depends on www-servers/mongrel. The reason for this is that up to today, Amarok was shipping, building and installing its own copy of mongrel, of rubygems, and gem_plugin, which is bad security practise and again policy; by this change you won’t have much more stuff installed in your system, it’s just that it will be installed by other ebuilds. And no, Ruby cannot be removed as a dependency (it is used by core functions like ratings and lyrics, and last.fm support) and upstream does not like to get features like DAAP sharing disabled, so it will stay.
...


So there you go!

Another thing:

cerebus_k wrote:
I'm now having trouble emerging amarok-1.4.4-r4 failing in a dependency ebuild of fastthread. From reading:

https://forums.gentoo.org/viewtopic-t-453470-highlight-fastthread.html

and the bug report it referenced it appears this ebuild error I'm seeing is caused by the lastest coreutils moving things around and I guess fastthread not being able to find it (in this case /bin/install?).


According to bugzilla it is indeed a problem with coreutils. I was able to solve this problem by reemerging ruby.

So to sum everything up

1. unmerge amarok
2. reemerge ruby
3. emerge amarok

and everything should work as expected!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ateo
Advocate
Advocate


Joined: 02 Jun 2003
Posts: 2019
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spielc wrote:
From flameyes blogentry:

flameeyes wrote:

...
Another change that is going to take by surprise a lot of users today is that amarok, both 1.4.4-r4 release and 9999-r1 (this is to force people to rebuild), now depends on www-servers/mongrel. The reason for this is that up to today, Amarok was shipping, building and installing its own copy of mongrel, of rubygems, and gem_plugin, which is bad security practise and again policy; by this change you won’t have much more stuff installed in your system, it’s just that it will be installed by other ebuilds. And no, Ruby cannot be removed as a dependency (it is used by core functions like ratings and lyrics, and last.fm support) and upstream does not like to get features like DAAP sharing disabled, so it will stay.
...


it would have been nice to see that in the changelog. blogging it to non gentoo sites only has a negative impact. I don't read this blog, nor should I be expected to.

Either way Speilc, thanks for the info. =)
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
spielc
Guru
Guru


Joined: 20 Apr 2004
Posts: 451

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ateo wrote:


it would have been nice to see that in the changelog. blogging it to non gentoo sites only has a negative impact. I don't read this blog, nor should I be expected to.

Either way Speilc, thanks for the info. =)


That's one of the reasons i actually do keep an eye on Planet Gentoo ;)

But you are right info in the changelog would've been better
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
dleverton
Guru
Guru


Joined: 28 Aug 2006
Posts: 517

PostPosted: Mon Jan 29, 2007 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ateo wrote:
it would have been nice to see that in the changelog. blogging it to non gentoo sites only has a negative impact. I don't read this blog, nor should I be expected to.

Like this?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cerebus_k
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Jun 2003
Posts: 173
Location: Flower Mound, Texas

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dleverton wrote:
Ateo wrote:
it would have been nice to see that in the changelog. blogging it to non gentoo sites only has a negative impact. I don't read this blog, nor should I be expected to.

Like this?


Ya know, in retrospect, it's not the fact that I need to unmerge amarok-1.4.4-r3 nor is it the fact that I've got to emerge 5 additional packages. It's the fact that the error message

Quote:

[blocks B ] www-servers/mongrel (is blocking media-sound/amarok-1.4.4-r3)


says mongrel is blocking a package and I don't have mongrel installed on my system AND the package that's being blocked is already on my system. This error message is confusing, misleading or just plain wrong.

My $.02, probably more that it's worth.
_________________
Gettin old isn't for wimps
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Aitikin
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 14 May 2005
Posts: 206

PostPosted: Tue Jan 30, 2007 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cerebus_k wrote:

says mongrel is blocking a package and I don't have mongrel installed on my system AND the package that's being blocked is already on my system. This error message is confusing, misleading or just plain wrong.

My $.02, probably more that it's worth.


I'm with ya on that. I was going to follow my standard practice when something like this happens and just unmerge and remerge what needed it in the first place, but I figured I'd check the forums first.
_________________
"it's like sex, except over ssh" ~Valkura

"I should go to bitch, I get up at 6:20" ~Valkura
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cerebus_k
Apprentice
Apprentice


Joined: 20 Jun 2003
Posts: 173
Location: Flower Mound, Texas

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spielc wrote:

According to bugzilla it is indeed a problem with coreutils. I was able to solve this problem by reemerging ruby.

So to sum everything up

1. unmerge amarok
2. reemerge ruby
3. emerge amarok

and everything should work as expected!


This solved my problem. Thanks for the details.
_________________
Gettin old isn't for wimps
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ancipital
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 21 Jul 2002
Posts: 259
Location: Grnn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cerebus_k wrote:
(...)
It's the fact that the error message

Quote:

[blocks B ] www-servers/mongrel (is blocking media-sound/amarok-1.4.4-r3)


says mongrel is blocking a package and I don't have mongrel installed on my system AND the package that's being blocked is already on my system. This error message is confusing, misleading or just plain wrong.

My $.02, probably more that it's worth.


True. So I checked the forums, and here you guys were, already with a solution! My point is, these things never take too long to get onto the forum, and if not, I'm sure it would.
_________________
Diplomacy is the art of letting the other party have things your way.
-- Daniele Vare
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Ancipital
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva


Joined: 21 Jul 2002
Posts: 259
Location: Grnn

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cerebus_k wrote:
spielc wrote:

According to bugzilla it is indeed a problem with coreutils. I was able to solve this problem by reemerging ruby.

So to sum everything up

1. unmerge amarok
2. reemerge ruby
3. emerge amarok

and everything should work as expected!


This solved my problem. Thanks for the details.


I don't even need to re-emerge ruby.. :idea:
_________________
Diplomacy is the art of letting the other party have things your way.
-- Daniele Vare
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Conan
Guru
Guru


Joined: 02 Nov 2004
Posts: 360

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Benson wrote:
It's a typo in the amarok-build: it should be:
Code:
RDEPEND="${RDEPEND}
        !www-servers/mongrel"

The exclamation-point is missing in the amarok-1.4.4-r3.ebuild :wink:

cheers,
Benson


no!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
cessman4life
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper


Joined: 14 Apr 2005
Posts: 141

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the same problem last night. The removal and reinstall worked for me.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Multimedia All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum