Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
Prefixed Gentoo for Itanium and Science
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmatt001
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Thu Jan 25, 2007 11:33 pm    Post subject: Prefixed Gentoo for Itanium and Science Reply with quote

Hi All,

I am would like to understand the progress of the alternate prefix overlay toward providing a portage tree for scientific computation on large scientific clusters. Specifically I work with an SGI Altix Cluster and have to maintain up to 252 applications that are custom compiled by hand (actually sort of using a script). These applications consist of a range of applications of a number of different versions all cross compiled against a particular number of versions of gcc and intel compilers.

Being a Gentoo user myself now for 3 years, I have been eagerly watching the progress of the prefixed project as I see it as a way to maintain these applications in a far more intelligent way -- having separate trees for each toolchain. Furthermore, I am a scientist as well and my time is becoming to stretched. Furthermore, the users of the platform do not have root permissions and neither do I, which is just another plus.

As scientific users, use tools such as vtk, paraview, the both the scipy and entought toolsuites (as well as a host of compilers etc to name but a few valuable tools) I am wondering how far down the line it will be before this subset of portage packages might become available? I need to set up a new set of applications as we come up to an upgrade to Suse Enterprise Linux 10, and I am hoping that I can take the next step...

Could someone let me know what you think the outlook is?

Matt
dmatt001
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Any Takers? Reply with quote

Anyone? ... Someone? ...

Matt
mark_alec
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most developers don't follow these forums, so you would be better off trying to find an answer on IRC or a relevant mailing list.
grobian
Developer
Developer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please repost the first post of this thread on the gentoo-alt@lists.gentoo.org mailing list. I believe there are more users interested in scientific applications.
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo for Mac OS X (Portage for Mac OS X) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: