Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Gentoo Forums
Quick Search: in
[bash] - What I know about config files - (Lil howto)
View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2005 5:37 pm    Post subject: [bash] - What I know about config files - (Lil howto) Reply with quote

Hi all.

I was a bit bored this evening and decided to take a look to the configuration files for bash. It seemed a bit obscured to me in Gentoo so I've put that here is hope that it will be usefull for someone.

As stated in the bash manpage (a great man, btw) there are many ways to start bash (you can call it 'modes'). From these I'm only interested in the two interactive ones, that are the two that are responsible for so much convesations about "Where do I put this for it to start with my bash?".

1.- Interactive-Login bash
First one is the login-interactive shell mode. For example when we start the system in console mode or when you explictly call bash with '--login' parameter. Then the first file sourced is /etc/profile, and (if existent and reachable) then one of:

~/.bash_profile
~/.bash_login
~/.profile

Is also sourced. Only one of them is ran, and they are checked in that order. I created that three file and put a little 'echo This is from <filename>' by the end of each file, this is what I get when logging in from console:

Code:

This is from /etc/profile
This is from /home/6thpink/.bash_profile

If I remove the ~/.bash_profile then I get:

Code:

This is from /etc/profile
This is from /home/6thpink/.bash_login

As expected.

When we log out then ~/.bash_logout is sourced if found and readable. But, and this is not documented in the bash man page, also /etc/bash/bash_logout is sourced, regarless if the ~/.bash_logout is sourced or not. I've put a little 'echo This is from <filename>' by the end of each file, this is what I get when logging out:

Code:

This is from /home/6thpink/.bash_logout
This is from /etc/bash/bash_logout

2.- Interactive (but not login) bash.
In the man page is specified that when starting in non login but interactive bash the only file sourced is ~/.bashrc.

In Gentoo at least, another one more file is sourced, regardless that the standard ~/.bashrc is or not found. That file is /etc/bash/bashrc. Again, we find here a non documented feature that makes also the /etc/bash/bashrc to be sourced when we start bash as a non-login shell. And again, regardless the ~/.bashrc has been found and sourced or not.

Code:

This is from /etc/bash/bashrc
This is from /home/6thpink/.bashrc

As you can see the ~/.basrhc is ran after, so there is no problem in the other one overwriting our config, but that can make the inicialization of bash a bit longer.

I don't know if this features have been documented somewhere else. I also can't say if the reason of this is that the man page is a bit out to date or this is just any feature that is introduced only in Gentoo. So if someone do know anything about this I would be pleased if s/he let me know about. ;)

EDIT: DT&T is not a place for discussion. --pjp

6thpink's EDIT: 8O I'm scared, no irony intended, but, really: do you think that bash configuration files can't fit into tip & tricks? Did you read the p0st before moving it or did you read just the tittle? I don't intend to evaluate moderator's work, just to point out that I think that this would be more helpfull in tip & tricks. Anyway, I modified the tittle.
swimmer
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx for the nice summary and the work you put into it ;-)

Greetz
swimmer
The Unknown
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@6thpink
It is coincidence that you bring this up.I am studying Linux through a book written by Mark G. Sobell and I happen to be on the bash chapter.
His reference to this is /etc/bashrc, I am making a bold assumption that is the same as /etc/bash/bashrc.
He says and I quote "although not called by bash directly,many ~/.bashrc files call /etc/bashrc.This setup allows Superuser to establish systemwide
default characteristics for nonlogin bash shells.
I too would love more clarification if possible for my studies.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here is what I do to cut down on the infuriating way .bash* files are sourced during the various login methods:

put all the stuff i want to happen in ~/.bash_profile

such as:
Code:
export http_proxy="www-proxy.somedomain.com:8080"
export RSYNC_PROXY="www-proxy.somedomain.com:8080"
export ftp_proxy="www-proxy.somedomain.com:8080"

then put this in ~/.bashrc
Code:
if [ -e ~/.bash_profile ] ; then
        . ~/.bash_profile
fi

this seems to work, except that it dosen't seem to affect my gnome desktop session automatically (I had to set my proxies through gnome's control panel).
i92guboj
Bodhisattva
Bodhisattva

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Unknown wrote:
@6thpink
It is coincidence that you bring this up.I am studying Linux through a book written by Mark G. Sobell and I happen to be on the bash chapter.
His reference to this is /etc/bashrc, I am making a bold assumption that is the same as /etc/bash/bashrc.
He says and I quote "although not called by bash directly,many ~/.bashrc files call /etc/bashrc.This setup allows Superuser to establish systemwide
default characteristics for nonlogin bash shells.
I too would love more clarification if possible for my studies.

If you look at the original date, this post is almost two years old hehehe, it is that someone bumped it now :P It remains equally valid, though :)

And yes, that is a tipical thing to set on ~./bashrc, but I would not rely on it. Each user has the power to bypass that by editing his/her bashrc file, so, if you really want a global setting you need to use /etc/profile for interactive-login sessions, and /etc/bash/bashrc for interactive-non-login sessions.
jonnevers
Veteran
Veteran

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

6thpink wrote:
so, if you really want a global setting you need to use /etc/profile for interactive-login sessions, and /etc/bash/bashrc for interactive-non-login sessions.

yeah good point.
The Unknown
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 12:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel stupid :oops:
But I appreciate your knowledge.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Gentoo Chat All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: