View unanswered posts
View posts from last 24 hours
View posts from last 7 days

Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Carlino
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: missing links after revdep-rebuilt Reply with quote

Hi all,
I just ran revdep-rebuild to get gdm back to work, (because of dbus being upgraded). Now I can log in and get to user or root sessions. But, some links don't show up, or work anymore : extra partitions (NTFS) being configured to be auto mounted are not available anymore in "computer"; can't run neither a terminal -command line, from its shortcut or the application menu; thunderbird won't connect to the pop.server. I tryed all these in a user and a root session, with same result. Just in case I re-emerged gnome and nautilus, (thinking about shortcuts missing), with no result... It's a bit confusing, it all happened at the same time, (after revdep-rebuilt), but I can't see the common point. Any idea ?

/etc/fstab
Code:
/dev/hda2    /boot    ext2    defaults,noatime       1 2
/dev/hda3    none            swap            sw              0 0
/dev/hda5    /    ext3    defaults,noatime       0 1
/dev/hda6    /home    ext3    defaults,noatime       0 0
/dev/hda7    /hdshare    vfat   defaults,noatime,rw,user,auto,uid=1000,umask=002      0 0
/dev/hdb5    /ressources    ntfs   defaults,ro,user,auto,gid=100,umask=002         0 0
/dev/hdb6        /images         ntfs   defaults,ro,user,auto,gid=100,umask=002                 0 0
none        /proc     proc    defaults          0 0
none        /dev/shm  tmpfs   defaults          0 0

amightywind
Tux's lil' helper
Tux's lil' helper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 22, 2007 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sympathize. Try backtracking back to your old dbus version as a starting point. Hopefully your system will be back to where it was. Then emerge dbus-1.0.2 and follow the instructions in the elog explicitly. This does involve revdep-rebuild. For me revdep-rebuild failed. I did not capture the output (as you requested in another thread). I may take another cut at it once I identify all of the packages that depend on it. Since the major number is reved on dbus I have not idea if the library still has a compatible interface with the programs that use it. In the meantime we are risking our machines by jacking around with it. My advice, get back to where you were and we can all troubleshoot in a controlled state and work the problem in this forum.
LinuxDude
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am also having issues with the gnome-volume-manager not picking up my mounted "jukebox" drive.

It mounts to /mnt/jukebox on startup and always has been displayed on the desktop and in gnome. Now it does not show up. However, everything else seems to be working fine including usb stick automounts.

I have tried 2.17 of gnome-volume-manager to no avail.

I have a feeling this is a hal/dbus configuration issue, but I don't know where to look and it has only occured after going to dbus-1.0.2.

Running Core 2 on amd64 if that is of any use.
Carlino
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all right amightywind; I'm gonna do that : get back to the previous dbus package, and see if everything gets back to normal. Just remind me : to do so, I should put dbus version 1.0.2 into /etc/portage/package.mask, then run emerge on dbus, and get it rebuilt right ?
mcbonaman
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Tue Jan 23, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LinuxDude wrote:
I am also having issues with the gnome-volume-manager not picking up my mounted "jukebox" drive.

It mounts to /mnt/jukebox on startup and always has been displayed on the desktop and in gnome. Now it does not show up. However, everything else seems to be working fine including usb stick automounts.

Same problem here.
LinuxDude
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can anyone else reproduce this? It is very odd, because everything else seems to be in perfect working order, the partition even shows up in the gnome system monitor under file systems.
Carlino
Guru
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re emerging gnome-terminal solved the issue consisting in shell terminal not being runable from the graphic environment..... and thunderbird not connecting the host mail... (I don't know how come...) But still, some partitions/files system (located on inner extra hard drive hdb) are missing from gnome. Of course the HD itself is connected and mounted, as shown in fstab... Don't have a clue about that... I haven't got back yet to previsous dbus package. I'd rather not: it should be working with updated packages. Should I precise that I'm using Gnome 2.16.... is it related to the issue ?
LinuxDude
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 8:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carlino wrote:
Re emerging gnome-terminal solved the issue consisting in shell terminal not being runable from the graphic environment..... and thunderbird not connecting the host mail... (I don't know how come...) But still, some partitions/files system (located on inner extra hard drive hdb) are missing from gnome. Of course the HD itself is connected and mounted, as shown in fstab... Don't have a clue about that... I haven't got back yet to previsous dbus package. I'd rather not: it should be working with updated packages. Should I precise that I'm using Gnome 2.16.... is it related to the issue ?

Your harddisk problem is exactly the problem I am having. I am also running 2.16. It is really frustrating. I tried to change a setting in HAL to set the volume.ignore to false thinking it might show up, but it didn't and on a restart of HAL the setting was not saved. I really hope this gets fixed soon, because i have run out of ideas to do other than to downgrade dbus.
LinuxDude
n00b
n00b

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have good news!

After much searching and trial and error, I have figured out what is wrong. For some reason the new version of HAL sets the key volume.ignore on all volumes. It did not do this previously. I found that if I manually set volume.ignore to false and killall gnome-vfs-daemon, the mounted drive showed up. However, after a restart of HAL the setting did not stick. So I found out how to create a policy file to fix it permanently for my particular volume.

Here's how to fix it...
Code:
cd /etc/hal/fdi/policy/
mkdir 95userpolicy
cd 95userpolicy
nano storage-policy.fdi

Add this text to the file, replacing /dev/sdb1 with your device id...
Code:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<deviceinfo version="0.2">
        <device>
                <match key="block.device" string="/dev/sdb1">
                        <merge key="volume.ignore" type="bool">false</merge>
                </match>
        </device>
</deviceinfo>

Code:

/etc/init.d/hald restart
killall gnome-vfs-daemon

Whalla!
stupidkid
Apprentice
Apprentice

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. Thanks a lot.
Reply to topic    Gentoo Forums Forum Index Desktop Environments All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: